PDA

View Full Version : Is Luol Deng a star by NBA standards?

mospeed
04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Every time I catch a Bulls game I'm seriously impressed with this guys overall game. He always seems to be the best defensive player on the court and his offensive game has been steadily improving every year. In terms of the best small forwards in the league I think he's definitely in the argument to be in the top 5, what are your thoughts?

unleashed132
04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Yea, he's highly underrated.. and it hurts when all you see on the highlights is D.Rose..

ElBonemeister
04-07-2011, 10:48 PM
not sure how GREAT he is but he is vastly underrated

StreetSharks
04-07-2011, 10:52 PM
lebron
durant
melo
pierce
gay
wallace
iggy
butler
granger
beasley
deng

Otaman
04-07-2011, 10:52 PM
he is a star, not a superstar though

can't put him in top 5 small forwards, he's in top 10

- LeBron
-KD
-Melo
-Pierce
-Granger
-Rudy Gay
-Gerald Wallace
-Luol Deng/Caron Butler

mospeed
04-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Offensively I agree he's not top 10 but overall I'd put him up there with Granger & Gay.

gswarrior510
04-08-2011, 12:58 AM
lebron
durant
melo
pierce
gay
wallace
iggy
butler
granger
beasley
deng

lol at butler and beasley

typical ROSE fan (notice not bulls fan) underplaying the fantastic supporting cast he has.

AdamL00001
04-08-2011, 01:38 AM
He's good. Star quality? No, but he's good. Any Bulls fan that's actually been paying attention the last few years will tell you that Deng has his GREAT nights, and then he'll just go into these slumps where you wonder why we didn't trade him yet.

RAMBO316
04-08-2011, 03:20 AM
He's good. Star quality? No, but he's good. Any Bulls fan that's actually been paying attention the last few years will tell you that Deng has his GREAT nights, and then he'll just go into these slumps where you wonder why we didn't trade him yet.

i feel like i know you! im also from the merrillville area BTW! thats pretty crazy but i have to
agree with you.. i hated him when he wasnt doing **** last year... but this year i have become a luol deng fan... hes like d. roses, pippen.

moetstylesbrah
04-08-2011, 03:37 AM
are you from sudan op ??

sammy21
04-08-2011, 07:20 AM
IMO hasn't live up to his potential...he plays soft a lot of times often settling for jump shots. There are times when he goes beast mode driving to the rim and you wonder why he doesn't do this all the time. Still a great supporting cast member though.

I just expected a lot more out of him after all his hype coming out of high school and then college.

ezmac31
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
hes a solid players benefitting from playing with one of the best PGs in the NBA and a veteran big man who is a big time paint presence scoring and rebounding. solid, but no star IMO.

(o)./^\.(o)
04-08-2011, 07:29 AM
IMO hasn't live up to his potential...he plays soft a lot of times often settling for jump shots. There are times when he goes beast mode driving to the rim and you wonder why he doesn't do this all the time. Still a great supporting cast member though.

I just expected a lot more out of him after all his hype coming out of high school and then college.

the hype hasn't been there in the past because he was underperfoming for so long. he would shoot all those long 2's, he was so inconsistent, he never had a defined role. Past coaches were trying to rely on him too much on offense. He's a PERFECT role playing wing player, elite defender and his 3 point shooting has skyrocketed this year.

I'd say another season like he's having to prove it isn't a fluke, and paxson can get some relief from all the hate that came from that huge contract he signed him to a few years ago.

I would call him a star if the bulls can go deep in the playoffs and he can get some real national recognition-like a lamar odom type.

turtle18
04-08-2011, 08:35 AM
The only reason he isn't a star is because he has always been in Lebron's shadow. I'd say it goes

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Pierce
Gay
Deng

In my opinion Rose doesn't deserve the MVP, he has possibly the best supporting cast of any top 10 player, aside from Kobe. Noah, Deng, Boozer, Gibson are all very good players. I especially think Taj Gibson is underrated. The dude has some skills

(o)./^\.(o)
04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
The only reason he isn't a star is because he has always been in Lebron's shadow. I'd say it goes

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Pierce
Gay
Deng

In my opinion Rose doesn't deserve the MVP, he has possibly the best supporting cast of any top 10 player, aside from Kobe. Noah, Deng, Boozer, Gibson are all very good players. I especially think Taj Gibson is underrated. The dude has some skills

name your other top 10 players? The only one I can think of that people could POSSIBLY make the case for having a worse supporting cast is Dwight Howard. And the Magic record shows that. Not saying that the Bulls are bad by any sense because they aren't, but it's not like he's playing with a bunch of all-stars that other top players don't have.

AssyrianMuscle
04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
his play with rose this year has been awesome. he really stepped up this year.

previous years i sorta didn't like him, he'd try to be superman too often and ballhog/force shots

swimmer32
04-08-2011, 09:04 AM
He went from being over-rated (remember - the Bulls wouldn't trade him for Kobe), to being under-rated now. The past few years he struggled, he didn't have a real good role, and he would completely disappear in big games and at the end of the games. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's doing well this year as the third option. Teams are always double teaming Rose and/or Boozer, many times leaving Deng open. Heck, last night the Celtics were running two guys at Korver, and he found Deng for an open three and an easy drive.

turtle18
04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
name your other top 10 players? The only one I can think of that people could POSSIBLY make the case for having a worse supporting cast is Dwight Howard. And the Magic record shows that. Not saying that the Bulls are bad by any sense because they aren't, but it's not like he's playing with a bunch of all-stars that other top players don't have.

Lebron (worse)
Wade (worse)
Kobe (better)
Durant (worse)
Melo (worse)
Dwight (worse)
Rose
CP3 (worse)
Amare (worse)
etc.

2 allstars with garbage after that is worse than 4-5 good players that can fill a role well.

CTP1992
04-08-2011, 09:11 AM
i remember watching him at duke with chris duhon.. jj reddick.. ben gordon and all them.. they were so killer..

(o)./^\.(o)
04-08-2011, 09:29 AM
LeBron/Wade (worse)=worse how? they each play next to arguably the two most dominant players in the league. not to mention an all-star PF. sorry, but when a player you play next to can pour in triple doubles and demand triple teams on any given night, you are in a pretty good position. Could you mean the Heat aren't as well rounded? Because if that's the case you could claim Igoudala has a better supporting cast than Wade/LeBron
Kobe (better)
Durant (worse)lol...... not sure if srs westbrook and durant are both top 5 at their positions and all-stars, perkins is a great defensive big, harden, ibaka, sefolosha are just as talented as any role players the bulls have.
Melo (worse)and they suck...
Dwight (worse) maybe, but it's not like they are threatening to contend anyway
Rose starting SG-Keith Bogans. Kurt Thomas/Taj Gibson in the starting line-up for most of the season. Boozer and Noah missing a combined 57 games. I guess I just don't see what you see in this star-studded supporting cast.
CP3 (worse) this I can agree with.
Amare (worse)same as melo
etc.

2 allstars with garbage after that is worse than 4-5 good players that can fill a role well.

chlaxman
04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
He's a very good role player. The bulls personnel complement each other very well and it allows deng to flourish. He's not asked to carry the team.

But he's not a star at all.

gswarrior510
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I'd say he's about a Nene level player.

Masstastic
04-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Every time I catch a Bulls game I'm seriously impressed with this guys overall game. He always seems to be the best defensive player on the court and his offensive game has been steadily improving every year. In terms of the best small forwards in the league I think he's definitely in the argument to be in the top 5, what are your thoughts?

No. This isnt 2007 anymore, Deng topped out as a player.

Hes a solid Top 10-12 range SF but we saw what happened when the Bulls expected him to be a "star". Nothing happened because he didnt even try to emerge into that role. Deng is most comfortable as a #3 or #4 option and his production goes unnoticed.

Masstastic
04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
he is a star, not a superstar though

can't put him in top 5 small forwards, he's in top 10

- LeBron
-KD
-Melo
-Pierce
-Granger
-Rudy Gay
-Gerald Wallace
-Luol Deng/Caron Butler

Disagree.

LeBron
Melo/KD
Pierce
Gay
Wallace
Captain Jack
Butler
Artest
Beasley

Danny Granger shouldnt be in any Top 5 or Top 10, the most overrated player in the NBA.

Maximum
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Pierce
Gay
Deng

Deng over Gerald Wallace, Stephen Jackson and Danny Granger? okkkkk

7ENU7
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
hes a solid players benefitting from playing with one of the best PGs in the NBA and a veteran big man who is a big time paint presence scoring and rebounding. solid, but no star IMO.
this

Masstastic
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Deng over Gerald Wallace and Danny Granger? okkkkk

Yes.

Deng is better than Danny Granger. Granger = Average offense, no defense, no leadership

Not sure how you dont realize this.

bking10
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Hes only been a surprise this year because after they gave him his big contract he went into a slump. He was always a good player. in fact, kobe said the only way hed accept a trade to the bulls was if Deng wasnt involved.

Masstastic
04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Hes only been a surprise this year because after they gave him his big contract he went into a slump. He was always a good player. in fact, kobe said the only way hed accept a trade to the bulls was if Deng wasnt involved.

That was back when people thought Deng was going to be a Top 20 player in the NBA. Basically becoming the Scottie to Kobe's Jordan imitation in Chicago.

He literally topped out right after that Kobe proclamation.