PDA

View Full Version : Are there drawbacks from using protein powder as your main protein source?

superbeeron
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Im taking in 200g of protein a day, n as a uni student living alone in the UK it has been really hard to meet this amount with whole food sources (chicken/meat are extremely pricey here). I have thus resorted to using cheap protein powders from myprotein and bulkpowders.

I take 3 scoops of whey conc n 3 scoops of milk protein conc (both unflavored) everyday which gives me 150g protein n costs me around 1.60. The remaining protein comes from other sources. Ive read loads of bb diet articles recommending that ur main protein source should be from whole foods. What are the drawbacks then from getting them from protein powders?

InvertedTiger
04-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Im taking in 200g of protein a day, n as a uni student living alone in the UK it has been really hard to meet this amount with whole food sources (chicken/meat are extremely pricey here). I have thus resorted to using cheap protein powders from myprotein and bulkpowders.

I take 3 scoops of whey conc n 3 scoops of milk protein conc (both unflavored) everyday which gives me 150g protein n costs me around 1.60. The remaining protein comes from other sources. Ive read loads of bb diet articles recommending that ur main protein source should be from whole foods. What are the drawbacks then from getting them from protein powders?

Only drawback I can see is you will go through your protein powder really, really quickly. Your supplement supplier will love you for it

DDon1996
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Micronutrient deficiencies.

Holyspokes
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM

this. Not that it will mean you will develop them, but it is more likely.

snorkelman
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
satiety may be a factor

JeffyDOS
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
It's expensive and you won't be full.

superbeeron
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Its 150g protein for 1 pound and 60 pence! thats 2.50 USD! I seriously cannot find a protein source than can give me 150g of protein for that amount. let me tell u some of my other options

1 egg - 10p/7g
Chicken breast - 2 pack - 3.50 pounds
Bargain yogurt 500ml - 50p/25g protein
Steak - out of question for repetitive daily consumption
Lamb - out of question for repetitive daily consumption

I take 5 whole eggs a day but the protein powder still comes out cheaper. it simply is unrivaled in terms of value, thats the reason why im using it. As for fullness im still eating 300g of carbs a day mostly from oats, i usually add the protein to it, and 100g of fat. Carbs/fat sources are super cheap in comparison to protein. I'm really just wondering what drawbacks i could have in gains, recovery etc etc cause alot of bb articles rant n rave about whole food sources alot.

superbeeron
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

What micronutrients are these? are there any other ways to get them? i still take get in 50g from whole sources usually eggs/bacon/burgers/chicken kievs.

liammccarthy
04-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Whey is cheaper than chicken here in Oz when compared per gram of protein.

Chachibenji
04-05-2011, 05:42 PM

This.
Sh*t is funny across the pond.

DDon1996
04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
What micronutrients are these? are there any other ways to get them? i still take get in 50g from whole sources usually eggs/bacon/burgers/chicken kievs.

As long as you're eating a balanced diet bar the 1k calories or so given by the protein powder, as well as taking a solid multivitamin, you shouldn't have any issues.

superbeeron
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
This.
Sh*t is funny across the pond.

stops being amusing when u run out ideas on how to use whey. for the most part it the monotony doesnt bother me, i keep my sanity in check by eating big meat protein sources when im about to lose it. which is about once every 5-7 days

superbeeron
04-05-2011, 06:01 PM

I feel ur pain. So u use whey or other protein powders as ur main protein source? I'm only in the UK temporary for studies. Back home where im from, Brunei the opposite is true. Whole sources especially chicken r dirt cheap.There r hardly any supp companies n a standard 5lbs tub of whey goes for upwards 100 USD. So when i return home i will be eating whole sources the whole day! including postworkout

Chachibenji
04-05-2011, 06:06 PM
stops being amusing when u run out ideas on how to use whey. for the most part it the monotony doesnt bother me, i keep my sanity in check by eating big meat protein sources when im about to lose it. which is about once every 5-7 days

I didnt mean "ha ha" funny, I meant "the economy is what the f*ck in the head" funny. I have lots of friends in the UK and basically all our conversations nowadays are about gas prices, food prices, and the like. sucks really.

calmlikewind
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
well i read somewhere aa has protein powder for approx half his protein daily intake so...cant be that bad

liammccarthy
04-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I feel ur pain. So u use whey or other protein powders as ur main protein source? I'm only in the UK temporary for studies. Back home where im from, Brunei the opposite is true. Whole sources especially chicken r dirt cheap.There r hardly any supp companies n a standard 5lbs tub of whey goes for upwards 100 USD. So when i return home i will be eating whole sources the whole day! including postworkout
sometimes I have 6-8 scoops in a day. I like to have whoe foods moreso than whey but sometimes I either can't be fcuked, don't have time have nothing else on hand.

Main ways I eat whey:

Proats -> Pre or post workout,
Protein Fluff -> Dessert
Shakes -> fills in the gaps if my daily protein is lagging

K0pe
04-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Idk about you but over here a lb of chicken breast is $1.99 with 24g prot and 1g fat per 112g