PDA

View Full Version : Why are baseball players so much more intelligent than the athletes in other sports?

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 01:55 PM
i.e. football and basketball.

Is it because it's a sport that requires significantly more intelligence in comparison to the other sports?

Discuss

gswarrior510
04-03-2011, 01:57 PM
because it's a joke of a sport where you can be overweight and still be good..

/thread

JTrain306
inb4 masstastic/be_easy_25

TexasHeat
inb4 racism

gottk2x

/thread

can't be overweight in football?

o lawd

gswarrior510
04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
can't be overweight in football?

o lawd

2 jokes of a sport sorry.

MontelWilliams
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM
less black people in MLB

amidoingitright?

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Every shout out I get makes me even more famous.

Thanks for contributing in making me the most well known member of the Sports Misc now.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 02:01 PM

/thread

Its actually a proven fact that fat people tend to be inferior in intelligence so this doesn't explain why baseball is more intelligent than other sports. In fact, strangely enough, it seems to buck that trend.

Good start to our discussion though. It was an excellent point to bring up.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
less black people in MLB

amidoingitright?

This is dumb because some of the smartest MLB players are black (Jason Hewyard, Hank Aaron, Carl Crawford for example). So no I dont think this holds as a credible reason.

feardafronfz3
04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
MLB:
"Among major leaguers, though, the number of African American players dropped from 10.2 percent to 9 percent last season"

NBA:
"Almost 82 percent of the NBA players were black, increasing on last year's 80 percent. This is the highest percentage since the 1994-1995 season"

NFL:
"In the 2007 season, 66 percent of NFL players were black, a one point decrease from the previous year"

/thread

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Is it because it's a sport that requires significantly more intelligence in comparison to the other sports?

Discuss

MLB players are smarter? Please post some proof.

20 % of the league isnt even American born and have 8th grade educations
MLB is the only sport to allow HS graduates to reach the Majors
Baseball requires more skill than football & basketball and skill =/= Intellgience
Since relief pitchers and backups dont get interviewed, you have no clue of knowing anything about them

The reason why you believe such is that you immediately equate football players or basketball players as being unintelligent because you dont know who they are, nor do you follow the sports.

JustinJ89
04-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Reason why MLB players are smarter? Please post some proof.

20 % of the league isnt even American born and have 8th grade educations
MLB is the only sport to allow HS graduates to reach the Majors
Baseball requires more skill than football & basketball and skill =/= Intellgience

The reason why you believe such is that you immediately equate football players or basketball players as being unintelligent because you dont know who they are, nor do you follow the sports.

education =/= intelligence

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 02:10 PM

especially when their college courses are BS classes.

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Yet the common excuse for the "dumb" comments of NBA & NFL players is that most do not graduate college.

gottk2x
04-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't know why, but I just get the feeling that mlb players seem more grateful that they get to play the game then other sports like football or basketball. Even though I like both games.

AriGhold
04-03-2011, 02:14 PM
This is dumb because some of the smartest MLB players are black (Jason Hewyard, Hank Aaron, Carl Crawford for example). So no I dont think this holds as a credible reason.

thats funny that you mention 2 braves players

Masstastic
especially when their college courses are BS classes.

College football & basketball are tougher sports to be ready for year round than baseball.

Why? They actually require players to be in top shape & practice something called "Plays"

You can sit home for 4 months and come back to Baseball without missing a step.

bbacn123
MLB:
"Among major leaguers, though, the number of African American players dropped from 10.2 percent to 9 percent last season"

NBA:
"Almost 82 percent of the NBA players were black, increasing on last year's 80 percent. This is the highest percentage since the 1994-1995 season"

NFL:
"In the 2007 season, 66 percent of NFL players were black, a one point decrease from the previous year"

/thread

Ive already debunked the race argument. Some of the smartest players in the MLB are black. Also, you can even argue the smartest athlete from the 4 major sports is black (Grant Hill).

So no. It has nothing to do with the NBA and NFL having a higher percentage of blacks.

I think it comes down to the game. You have to smart to succeed in baseball. Where maybe you dont need as much athleticism to play baseball you must make up for in intelligence I think. So you dont see the dumb players making it to the MLB, while intelligence is a bit more irrelevant in the other sports and more intellectually inferior individuals slip through to the pros.

That's my take on it. The dumb people are just weeded out in baseball the same way less athletic players are weeded out in football and basketball

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 02:17 PM
MLB:

NBA:

NFL:

/thread

Thats a phaggot cop-out.

Not surprising from you.

JTrain306
04-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Ive already debunked the race argument. Some of the smartest players in the MLB are black. Also, you can even argue the smartest athlete from the 4 major sports is black (Grant Hill).

So no. It has nothing to do with the NBA and NFL having a higher percentage of blacks.

ITT: Outliers = averages

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
thats funny that you mention 2 braves players

I hear them speak more often. Barry Bonds is another very smart player who is black.

Im not gonna go around saying Alfonso Soriano when I've never really heard him speak very much and dont know much about him. That would be foolish. So of course Im gonna lean towards to players Im more familiar with when giving examples on smart black MLB players.

Any idiot would realize that. Clearly it needs to be spelled out for you though.

Tyler44
04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Its very true and very obvious.

It does take more intelligence to play baseball vs. basketball and even football.

Even the guys from the Dominican and oversea's seem much more intelligent than NFL/NBA players.

Gooner89
04-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Discuss

Intelligence? Every single situation has a textbook way of responding to it. If there are runners on first and second etc... All they do in spring training is repetitions in the field of what might be the situation during the game. Zero improvisation. So I would argue baseball requires the least amount of intelligence.

Soccer and hockey (and basketball to an extent) are all very free flowing and require constant improvisation. The players have to read and react the whole time. There are no plays, nor do they practice exactly what they will be doing in the game. They have to think the whole time and change strategy on the fly.

This is why Europeans don't like baseball and despise american football.

kappakai
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Really? Baseball requires more intelligence than football? What are you basing that on? That baseball requires stats? But football requires some serious tactics. Both are strategy games, but baseball is probably more poker like, while football is more like chess, at least from the coach's perspective. Yah, you probably don't need to be that smart to play a lineman, but how smart do you have to be to play RF?

kappakai
04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
As for the race argument, there are plenty of dumb white baseball players too.

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/9047fdad045f952b31b734ef79a40ee4.jpg

bbacn123
lol if you're going to be in denial about baseball players being more intelligent you need to just leave now cause Im not responding to your lack of knowledge.

Masstastic

I think it comes down to the game. You have to smart to succeed in baseball. Where maybe you dont need as much athleticism to play baseball you must make up for in intelligence I think. So you dont see the dumb players making it to the MLB, while intelligence is a bit more irrelevant in the other sports and more intellectually inferior individuals slip through to the pros.

That's my take on it. The dumb people are just weeded out in baseball the same way less athletic players are weeded out in football and basketball

Skill =/= Intelligence

A welder only becomes as good by the amount of time he welds. It doesn't have any correlation to his IQ, but how skilled he becomes by repeating the same process. If not, "skilled workers" wouldnt appeal to the impoverished and under educated.

The ability to re-produce such a skill requires a higher level of focus of the athlete. Notice how the best players in all sports themselves are the most focused on the field & off the field.

iamgenus
04-03-2011, 02:26 PM
2 jokes of a sport sorry.

football is a joke of a sport? not sure if srs.

gottk2x
04-03-2011, 02:26 PM
It probably isn't a black or white thing, just comes down to who works the hardest to be where they are. The most retarded players in any sports are mainly the ones who have always been catered to their whole life because they have some talent.

JTrain306
04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
lol if you're going to be in denial about baseball players being more intelligent you need to just leave now cause Im not responding to your lack of knowledge.
http://www.akk.org/~jagger/Bildchen/obvious-troll.jpg

Be_Easy_25
Love all 3 sports.

I consider latin players black anyways....so the race factor is moot to me ITT...love u too train.

I actually just want proof that the players are smarter.

Because its not a question that baseball probably takes the most skill and work ethic to stay consistent in ALL phases of the game.

bbacn123
I have to go to the gym but I look forward to what everyone can conclude on regarding this phenomenon.

iliftpesos
04-03-2011, 02:28 PM
As a baseball player of 15 years .. i support this thread.

gswarrior510
04-03-2011, 02:29 PM
football is a joke of a sport? not sure if srs.

american football? yes.

Its very true and very obvious.

It does take more intelligence to play baseball vs. basketball and even football.

Even the guys from the Dominican and oversea's seem much more intelligent than NFL/NBA players.

strong intelligence..hit a ball with a bat, run, go back to eating pizza.

mindblowing intelligence needed.

JTrain306
04-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Thats a phaggot cop-out.

Not surprising from you.

Love all 3 sports.

I consider latin players black anyways....so the race factor is moot to me ITT...love u too train.

I actually just want proof that the players are smarter.

Because its not a question that baseball probably takes the most skill and work ethic to stay consistent in ALL phases of the game.

success. in order, too

broboma2012
04-03-2011, 02:31 PM
It has yet to be proven with actual figures and statistics that baseball players are actually superior in terms of intelligence

homicidal_misc
04-03-2011, 02:34 PM
american football? yes.

Says the soccer fan

Tyler44
04-03-2011, 02:36 PM
american football? yes.

I know Im right when I have you arguing against me.

Everything you post in this section is full of fail.

sups31
04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
nhl players are by far smarter than any other sport, srs.

injectcelltech
04-03-2011, 02:42 PM
nhl players are by far smarter than any other sport, srs.

PGA members are the smartest, sorry bud

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 02:42 PM
success. in order, too

Thanks. I need more people like you to give me the recognition I deserve on here.

As you've faded away to become a troll, I prosper. Coincidence?

This is my era.

SteezeFactory
04-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't know why, but I just get the feeling that mlb players seem more grateful that they get to play the game then other sports like football or basketball. Even though I like both games.

Probably because there's so many players that rot away in minor league ball and never even get to play in the majors. Everyone starts off in the minors and works their way up, even the studs that go early in the first round and it takes a lot of them a few seasons to get called up.

sups31
PGA members are the smartest, sorry bud

smarter than any other of the major 4*

NYY
They have less... time to react to pitches.

Be_Easy_25
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Chess players?

feardafronfz3
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM

How have you debunked anything? You listed 3 black MLB players and 1 NBA player. They are the outliers if anything. It absolutely has to do with the NBA and NFL having a higher % of African Americans

VTheKing
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
How have you debunked anything? You listed 3 black MLB players and 1 NBA player. They are the outliers if anything. It absolutely has to do with the NBA and NFL having a higher % of African Americans

Rofl, you obviously don't watch any other major sports then. NHL is overwhelmingly white and there's no shortage of dumb****s as well as some bright/brilliant types. Why do people in this forum want to make a race issue out of anything is beyond me.

The matter of fact is that team sports generally require most players to play some sort of role so only a few players actually need to be exceptionally bright. And nothing so far has been posted to support the claim that baseball players are somehow smarter. You can argue it's less physically demanding but it's not exactly a sport where you need to make a lot of complex decisions on the fly (coaches aside).

lovebbing
04-03-2011, 03:20 PM
College football & basketball are tougher sports to be ready for year round than baseball.

Why? They actually require players to be in top shape & practice something called "Plays"

You can sit home for 4 months and come back to Baseball without missing a step.

try playing 200+ games in a season, doing the same repetitive moments and see if youll stay healthy/injury free. its more than just playing the game well, its playing well consistently throughout the entire season.

Photostic
04-03-2011, 03:36 PM
try playing 200+ games in a season, doing the same repetitive moments and see if youll stay healthy/injury free. its more than just playing the game well, its playing well consistently throughout the entire season.

How many good players play a full season? Especially 5-10 years into their career. And lets not even get into pitchers.

Trapstar4.4
04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
i completely disagree.
I wouldnt say baseball takes the most mental capacity to succeed at. it doesnt have enough on the fly thinking for it to be proven as a sport of intelligence.

and to directly address the thread title, how can one assess the player's intelligence? especially in a sport where there tends to be language barriers all over the place.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
and to directly address the thread title, how can one assess the player's intelligence? especially in a sport where there tends to be language barriers all over the place.

This brings up another point. there are more bilingual players in the MLB than in any of the other sports.

The ability to learn a new language is directly correlated to higher mental intelligence.

And to the other guy above who said it's yet to be proven with actual data, do we really even need to prove it? The gap is so big it's pretty obvious. I dont even need actual research to confirm this sh*t cause it's common knowledge. It's like saying the sky is blue on a clear day. Do I have to prove that sh*t with data too?

RWC5113
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Wait what?
Baseball requires more intelligence than football?
LOL! An NFL playbook is much more complicated than picking up the steal sign while taking a lead on first base.
Baseball players seem more intelligent based on interviews (which I would argue isn't necessarily true since almost half of them are foreign and can't even speak fluent english) because, well, usually it's the American born players who are interviewed. And in regards to American born kids, the majority in poverty don't look to baseball because the fact that you have to go through years and years of minor leagues to maybe never even make it into the majors, makes it much less appealing to poor kids than basketball or football.
So most American baseball players were more guided growing up and didn't use it as a crutch or a way out.
JMO.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Wait what?
Baseball requires more intelligence than football?
LOL! An NFL playbook is much more complicated than picking up the steal sign while taking a lead on first base.
Baseball players seem more intelligent based on interviews (which I would argue isn't necessarily true since almost half of them are foreign and can't even speak fluent english) because, well, usually it's the American born players who are interviewed. And in regards to American born kids, the majority in poverty don't look to baseball because the fact that you have to go through years and years of minor leagues to maybe never even make it into the majors, makes it much less appealing to poor kids than basketball or football.
So most American baseball players were more guided growing up and didn't use it as a crutch or a way out.
JMO.

So you're saying that baseball players are less likely to come from poverty which leads to a higher rate of intelligence among its players?

I can see that. It makes sense to a pretty strong degree.

Any other opinions? This is probably the best one I've seen yet to understand why MLB has smarter athletes.

Be_Easy_25
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
fail logic.

so many of the latin players come from abject poverty it's rediculous.
im talking about dirt poor....not poor as in low income and surviving on government checks.
im talking no infratsructure.

try again.
that's if youre even accepting that premise that baseball players are smarter.

vudoodoodoo
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Swinging a bat doesn't require much intelligence.

RWC5113
04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
fail logic.

im talking about dirt poor....not poor as in low income and surviving on government checks.

try again.

And how often do you hear Rafael Furcal in an interview?
How often do you hear Jose Castillo, Orlando Hernandez or Anwar Ramirez being interviewed?
Many of them can't even speak English, which is why 98% of the interviews you see in baseball are the American born players who tend to be more educated and come from a better upbringing than NFL or NBA players who used sports as their only way out.
And I wasn't even accepting the premise. I was just stating why the perception would seem that way.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
fail logic.

try again.

This is a very good counter argument to the other users post.

A lot of the Latin players do come from extreme poverty.

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Lmao at you Negroes arguing with these guys. Why wont you accept the truth that they wont change or view your race as equal?

Learn to accept them as the racists they truly are. They are the reason why racism in fact exists, and you challenging them shows you cant accept that they are.

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
You are all idiots who dont see it for what it is. He is playing you for fools because he knows you are going to be upset.

It is the belief that being Black defines lower intelligence. It has nothing to do with behavior either, but when someone behaves badly they can re-inforce the stereotype.

He has no clue how smart a NBA or NFL player is. He can only assume they arent that smart, only because they are a majority Black.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
^^^

lol those two posts made my day.

Im laughing. yes I said laughing tears are running down my cheecks as I type this.

Im not the one who said race was the reason bro so I dont know WTF you are talking about at this point.

kappakai
04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
seriously, enlighten us. what are you basing your assertions on? is it through interviews? how they talk? college essays?

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Id love for someone to consider me a racist. Im a racial realist.

Stop feeling surprised or outraged when a White individual expresses his racism. A majority of Whites are racist, fact. You look through the sports forum and its the same stuff.

An emotional investment into teams filled with a sub-species of human they cant identify with. Same happens to any other race and it isnt exclusive to Black athletes.

Dont complain they hate you. Just love yourself.

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
^^^ lol those two posts made my day. Im laughing. yes I said laughing tears are running down my cheecks as I type this. Im not the one who said race was the reason bro so I dont know WTF you are talking about at this point.

People who think differently from you are the outlier of Whites. This isnt new information you suggested.

Most do in fact believe and come to the same conclusions as you do.

Richard Lynn's Bell Curve assessment is your source. The perception you hold is that Whites are more intelligent than Blacks.

That makes logical sense right? Therefore when a league such as the MLB is majority White, you can only come to the conclusion the league is full of smarter players.

NASCAR isnt really an athletic sport, however wouldnt you suggest NASCAR drivers are smarter than NBA players? Once again, it would make logical sense considering Richard Lynn puts the average White IQ at 103 while the average Black IQ is 85 or 92 depending on who you ask.

Clives_Bicep
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Many of them can't even speak English

neither can the majority of NFL players, and they were born here.....

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Nobody can prove me wrong.

I know you made such a thread to attract me into discussion with you. You claim to have gone to the gym, but are still commenting on this topic. You have done your job and attracted Masstastic to this topic.

Your logic isnt flawed, its consistent with mindsets echoed in this thread. It goes along with the belief of being right because using logic. An example would be Birthers who believe Barry isnt a US citizen. You could put his birth certificate in front of them with video of him coming out of the womb in Central Park and they still wont believe it. They will then make excuses as to why that fact is false.

Same applies for everyone in this thread. They believe what they want to believe regardless of logic behind it.

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 05:48 PM

I have no problem understanding them.

Does that make me bilingual?

Marshawn Lynch I dont understand either. I didnt understand Yaw Yaw either.

Gator286
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Nobody can prove me wrong.

I know you made such a thread to attract me into discussion with you. You claim to have gone to the gym, but are still commenting on this topic. You have done your job and attracted Masstastic to this topic.

Your logic isnt flawed, its consistent with mindsets echoed in this thread. It goes along with the belief of being right because using logic. An example would be Birthers who believe Barry isnt a US citizen. You could put his birth certificate in front of them with video of him coming out of the womb in Central Park and they still wont believe it. They will then make excuses as to why that fact is false.

Same applies for everyone in this thread. They believe what they want to believe regardless of logic behind it.

You're a troll, right? You have to be.

FLAY
04-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I love baseball, but anyone who's been around a group of ball players will tell you they are as dumb as a stump.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
People who think differently from you are the outlier of Whites. This isnt new information you suggested.

Most do in fact believe and come to the same conclusions as you do.

Richard Lynn's Bell Curve assessment is your source. The perception you hold is that Whites are more intelligent than Blacks.

That makes logical sense right? Therefore when a league such as the MLB is majority White, you can only come to the conclusion the league is full of smarter players.

NASCAR isnt really an athletic sport, however wouldnt you suggest NASCAR drivers are smarter than NBA players? Once again, it would make logical sense considering Richard Lynn puts the average White IQ at 103 while the average Black IQ is 85 or 92 depending on who you ask.

lol no. Grant Hill alone drags the NBA higher on the intelligence scale than NASCAR.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 06:00 PM

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/basterdKing/GIFs/oh-snap.gif

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 06:14 PM

lol no. Grant Hill alone drags the NBA higher on the intelligence scale than NASCAR.

What makes you believe Grant Hill is the exception rather than rule of NBA players?

He is a smart guy no doubt, but where do you draw this line. Hes 38 playing amongst guys who were born when he was in high school.

How smart is Vince Carter? How smart is Steve Nash? How smart is Josh Childress?

What do we truly know outside of assumptions based on color?

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 06:16 PM

The funny part is I am holding back for the sake of keeping it as civil as I can since this topic is about me.

bbacn123
04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
What makes you believe Grant Hill is the exception rather than rule of NBA players?

He is a smart guy no doubt, but where do you draw this line. Hes 38 playing amongst guys who were born when he was in high school.

How smart is Vince Carter? How smart is Steve Nash? How smart is Josh Childress?

What do we truly know outside of assumptions based on color?

Carter and Childress are on the above average side. Nash I dont know but he's dumber than the other 2 for sure. He might be above average in the NBA too but just barely.

Masstastic
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Carter and Childress are on the above average side. Nash I dont know but he's dumber than the other 2 for sure. He might be above average in the NBA too but just barely.

How smart is Channing Frye? How smart is Hakim Warrick? How smart is Jared Dudley? How smart is Robin Lopez?

Just using the Suns as an example

You see we can go through each name doing this. When you view athletes as individuals and stop assuming them based upon their race as being intellectually incompetent you will see where your own assumptions on them as a whole fail.