PDA

View Full Version : FINDING TRUE MAINTENANCE CALS!! Please HELP!!!!

newbebuilder
03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi, Have read on here, google and all over the place...can not seem to find a answer...all answers are different...

IS THERE A WAY TO FIND MY MAINTENANCE CALORIES??????

I am trying to lose fat and no muscle...if some muscle has to go to cut the fat....so be it...

I am 6 foot tall, 245lbs and 40yrs old...what is my maintenance cals...

Seen its 2280..also seen it 3800....3500......How do I know how much to eat.....Can anyone give me a true way of finding out what my maintenance calories are??????

I was at 16% body fat...mostly in the mid section....did the caliber test...not sure how accurate that is either....

Can anyone please HELP??????

brunkhy
03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it can be hard. Personally I think most these websites are inaccurate. If you have already dieted in the past, use that value as a guideline.

Or just eat one week(or two) at 2500kcal, weigh yourself before and after, and do the math, for a 3500cal deficit you should lose 1lb. This is still a bit inaccurate because there's water weight, bowel can be more or less full, but I think it's the best/simplest way availiable for everyone. Don't forget to weigh yourself in similar conditions for truer results. I weigh in the morning, after I empitied my bowels, and before I eat or drink anything.

kingreyez
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
weigh yourself, eat a set number of calories for a week and then weigh yourself again on the same day at around the same time and see how much weight you lost. If you didnt lose enough then eat less or if you lost much then up your calorie intake

newbebuilder
03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
weigh yourself, eat a set number of calories for a week and then weigh yourself again on the same day at around the same time and see how much weight you lost. If you didnt lose enough then eat less or if you lost much then up your calorie intake

someone told me that my cals where 2280..well to lose i should cut 500 but i have also been told that my body can be going into starvation mode.....have tryed doing 2000 cals aday and 2500 cals a day and nothing......thats the reason for finding my maintenance...if my maintenance is 3500 or 3800....my body could be in starvation mode at 2500..yes or no.....is there no way of finding maintenance??????

newbebuilder
03-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah, it can be hard. Personally I think most these websites are inaccurate. If you have already dieted in the past, use that value as a guideline.

Or just eat one week(or two) at 2500kcal, weigh yourself before and after, and do the math, for a 3500cal deficit you should lose 1lb. This is still a bit inaccurate because there's water weight, bowel can be more or less full, but I think it's the best/simplest way availiable for everyone. Don't forget to weigh yourself in similar conditions for truer results. I weigh in the morning, after I empitied my bowels, and before I eat or drink anything.

someone told me that my cals where 2280..well to lose i should cut 500 but i have also been told that my body can be going into starvation mode.....have tryed doing 2000 cals aday and 2500 cals a day and nothing......thats the reason for finding my maintenance...if my maintenance is 3500 or 3800....my body could be in starvation mode at 2500..yes or no.....is there no way of finding maintenance??????

rnacdaley
03-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Go to the nutrition forum. Read the sticky for calculating macro needs by emma - leigh. You WILL find your answers there. Also, if you are 6 ft and weigh approx 240lbs I would say your BF % is higher than 16%. Those dimensions @ 16% = beast. Obviously tough to tell without pics but I would say you are in the mid 20s for BF%.

SOJA
03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
There is no such thing as "starvation mode".

PhiSig2298
03-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

So... 66 + (6.33 x 245) + (12.7 x 72) - (6.8 x 40)

Your BMR = 2,259.25 calories

Now take that and multiply it by the activity calculator...

1.2 Sedentary Little or no exercise and desk job

1.375 Lightly Active Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week

1.55 Moderately Active Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week

1.725 Very Active Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week4

1.9 Extremely Active Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job

That will give you your maintenance calories per day...