PDA

View Full Version : Diet Question

bbavender
03-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey All,

I have been strictly following a nutrition template for the past three months while bulking from 175 to my current weight of 187. It has been relatively lean since both my hips and waist are the same measurement as when I started. On training days, I eat 3750 calories comprised of roughly 450g carbs, 250g protein, and 100g of fat. On rest days I eat 3550 calories with 350 carbs, 250 protein, and about 125g of fat. This is all with foods from natural sources. It is becoming rather expensive and kind of repetitive. I am recovering from an ED and the repetitiveness makes me feel like I'm still struggling with the disorder which I am a little. My question to the forum is, can I just set a protein and fat requirement for the day and eat whatever foods I wish as long as I meet my calorie goals and still maintain a relatively lean bulk? Or will straying from the natural sources lead to a greater potential for fat storage?

Sorry for the wall of text I just want to get others opinions.

PS- I dont ever plan to get on a fitness stage.

juliacheh
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Try to get at least 80% of your food from whole and minimally processed sources.
Treats in moderation as long as you stay within required calories will not lead to fat gain.

SideSteal
03-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Hey All,

I have been strictly following a nutrition template for the past three months while bulking from 175 to my current weight of 187. It has been relatively lean since both my hips and waist are the same measurement as when I started. On training days, I eat 3750 calories comprised of roughly 450g carbs, 250g protein, and 100g of fat. On rest days I eat 3550 calories with 350 carbs, 250 protein, and about 125g of fat. This is all with foods from natural sources. It is becoming rather expensive and kind of repetitive. I am recovering from an ED and the repetitiveness makes me feel like I'm still struggling with the disorder which I am a little. My question to the forum is, can I just set a protein and fat requirement for the day and eat whatever foods I wish as long as I meet my calorie goals and still maintain a relatively lean bulk? Or will straying from the natural sources lead to a greater potential for fat storage?

Sorry for the wall of text I just want to get others opinions.

PS- I dont ever plan to get on a fitness stage.

Yes. Variety is important and it sounds especially important since you're recovering from an Erectile Dysfunction. (Oh hey, there's an ED joke!).

Seriously though, switch things up. Keep track of your protein/fat/calorie total and still hit those targets, just give yourself some different foods to do so.

Disclaimer: Now I'm only posting this so that the anti-IIFYM crew doesn't jump on it: Micronutrients are important, and if you decide to only drink olive oil for fat, eat only sugar for your carbs, and just drink whey for your protein, you're going to have health issues. Use common sense. As Julia mentions above, whole foods are a great choice as the bulk of your diet.

iversonmourning
03-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Would have to agree with everyone else here. You are alloted a certain amount of P/F/C, so why not have fun and make use of your P/F/C as you wish. Throw in a little variety, throw in a little cheat foods here and there, your body and your recovering ED will thank you for it in the long run. Like Julia said, just try and eat at about an 80% rate quality foods and have some snacks thrown in here and there and you should be good to go. As someone who battled eating the same thing day in and out and following bad dieting advice I can tell you it is great to be able to eat out with my girlfriend again and eat foods I previously thought were "bad" and be able to enjoy the joys of food again!