PDA

View Full Version : Plateau - change in diet vs. exercise

mynameisuntz
03-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Curious about your strategies for plateaus. Do you change diet/training/both?

It's only been 6 days since seeing no change on the scale. Right now I'm 6'0" and ~190 lbs. with 16% body fat. If it gets to two weeks of no change, I feel like I should switch something up, but I'm not sure of what.

I'm considering throwing in a refeed day and seeing what happens as I've been at a caloric deficit for 6-8 weeks (come next week).

Just curious what you guys might change up initially upon hitting a plateau. Or if you do something regularly to avoid plateaus (such as a refeed day, or caloric cycling).

lovingit
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I'd wait 3 weeks. I've never needed to change a thing...I've just waited out the stall.

Now that I'm more lean, I try to change diet first if I have wiggle room.

Shrederator
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
How long have you been training?

Might be a good idea to take a week off and hit the gym hard when you get back. That seems to work for some.

Trillios
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
My opinions/strategies based on your bodyfat:

-don't refeed unless you're in a deep deficit (might slow you down rather than help if you just started cutting)
-increase or introduce cardio
-definitely wait 2 weeks before deciding
-lower cals by 50-100/ day

mynameisuntz
03-22-2011, 01:58 PM
How long have you been training?

Might be a good idea to take a week off and hit the gym hard when you get back. That seems to work for some.

Caloric deficit for about 6-8 weeks, training for 6 weeks. Training = 3 days of weight training, and 2-3 days of cardio for an hour each day. I also do 30 minutes light cardio after 2 days of lifting. All in all, 3-4 hours of cardio per week (2 sessions of HIIT within those 3-4 hours).

Diet = 2,000 calories, 180g protein, 80-90g fat, and carbs usually land around 150g. Rough estimates.

The cardio might appear to be a lot, but my lifestyle is overall sedentary. I'm doing a lot of work from home so I'm not moving a whole lot during the day. I feel the cardio compensates a bit for that lack of daily movement. I feel like adding MORE cardio would be, meh. I'd rather knock off 100 calories per day and see what happens, but I feel 2,000 calories given my weight and activity level is pretty justified, but maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, I'll gut it out for another week before deciding. Actually I'll be going on vacation for a few days come next week, so if I'm still stuck maybe I'll take a couple controlled "refeed" days during the vacation and see what happens when I get back.

Any more input would be very appreciated.

Shrederator
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Caloric deficit for about 6-8 weeks, training for 6 weeks. Training = 3 days of weight training, and 2-3 days of cardio for an hour each day. I also do 30 minutes light cardio after 2 days of lifting. All in all, 3-4 hours of cardio per week (2 sessions of HIIT within those 3-4 hours).

Diet = 2,000 calories, 180g protein, 80-90g fat, and carbs usually land around 150g. Rough estimates.

The cardio might appear to be a lot, but my lifestyle is overall sedentary. I'm doing a lot of work from home so I'm not moving a whole lot during the day. I feel the cardio compensates a bit for that lack of daily movement. I feel like adding MORE cardio would be, meh. I'd rather knock off 100 calories per day and see what happens, but I feel 2,000 calories given my weight and activity level is pretty justified, but maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, I'll gut it out for another week before deciding. Actually I'll be going on vacation for a few days come next week, so if I'm still stuck maybe I'll take a couple controlled "refeed" days during the vacation and see what happens when I get back.

Any more input would be very appreciated.

Yeah, I would definitely hold off a bit before you decide. I don't believe 6 weeks is long enough to warrant a reset.

mynameisuntz
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I would definitely hold off a bit before you decide. I don't believe 6 weeks is long enough to warrant a reset.

Thanks for input. Reps to everyone that contributed :]

I'll hold off another week or two and go from there. Maybe just drop calories by 100 per day and see if that does anything, or a refeed day.