PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I Think Maybe I am Not Eating Enough

RichardDavis
03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
So, right now, I am slightly under 5'10", about 150lbs, and 13% fat. I started working out about six or seven months ago at 175lbs and over 20% fat.

I am trying to get a six pack by summer. For most of this time, I have been eating 1700 calories a day, 150g of protein, 35g of fiber, 200g of carbs (mostly whole grains), 2500 milligrams of sodium, 200mg of cholesterol, and 35g of fat.

I work out Monday through Friday, with a 3 day lifting routine (each workout takes about 45 minutes), and 30 minutes of HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I'm close to my goal. My abs are starting to show. But I also want a little more muscle. I know that is very difficult, but this is what I am attempting. I am sticking with the 1700 calorie diet on cardio days, but taking about 2000 on lifting days.

I have a protien shake that is half casein/half whey right after workouts five days a week.

I've been reading a bit on here about nutrition, and now I am worried that I've been eating way too little.

Comments?

RichardDavis
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Okay, I found this site that calculates your calorie requirements based on the Katch-McArdle formula, and it says my requirements (I chose Moderate Activity) are 2559. That would seem to indicate that on lifting days I should eat 3000 calories, on cardio days 2000, and on the weekends about 1700. Wow, that just seems like a lot of calories. I'm not even sure how I would eat that many.

PBateman2
03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
So if you want to bulk now then start at around 2800 calories.

Having days at 3000cals, days at 2000 cals, and days at 1700 cals, is too much discrepancy - IMO.

Do a straight surplus or perhaps training days at 3000cals and cardio/rest days at maintenance if you want to cycle calories a bit. Can always make adjustments as you go along.

RichardDavis
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Having days at 3000cals, days at 2000 cals, and days at 1700 cals, is too much discrepancy - IMO.

Do a straight surplus or perhaps training days at 3000cals and cardio/rest days at maintenance if you want to cycle calories a bit. Can always make adjustments as you go along.

I would definitely like to put on some more muscle, but it is hard to wrap my brain around eating so many calories. I mean, when I was a chunky monkey, I'm sure I easily ate more than 3000 calories a day, but I've conditioned myself to the 1700 for so long, its even been hard trying to eat 2000.

Getting a little bigger is a long term goal for me, but my short term goal is a six pack by summer. I figure I have to get down to 10% BF to hit that goal. I am afraid that upping my caloric intake so much would derail my short-term goal. Would I be better off waiting until after summer to do this?

And should I be eating 2000 calories a day, anyway? Is my 1700 calorie diet too much of a caloric deficit? I eat every three hours, and I pretty much am never hungry and never full. The biggest challenge for me is at night, when the wife and I are vegging out in front of the TV - I really want to just snack then. But not really because I am hungry.

- Rick

snvc
03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
With only 1700 kcals of calorie intake on cardio days, taking in that you burn an additional 300-500 kcals with the cardio itself (considering it's HIIT, maybe more), you end up dangerously low mate, ~1200 kcals. Now I can't possibly know what number would work for your stats but try eating 2000 kcals every day for a while. My guess is you should continue to lose fat that way; usually when those symptoms of clear physiological hunger start to occur a small calorie increase like the one I suggested can only help both mentally and in increasing the energy levels while still keeping your body in "cutting mode". You could also consider changing HIIT to LISS (1700 - 30mins of HIIT = brutal).

franko man
03-21-2011, 11:20 PM

^take Manu's advice and you'll look like him before summer arrives :D

but srsly OP, 1700 calories is wayy too low!
Read the stickies on top to calculate your actual caloric needs, I would start off by increasing your fats.. 35g is insane

RichardDavis
03-22-2011, 10:08 AM
So, if I want to keep losing fat, I shouldn't jump up to 2800, but maybe I should jump up to about 2000 until I am ready to seriously start working on size?

flinkpoyd01
03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
One item that others haven't mentioned is the low amount of fat in your diet - long term it's going to cause some hormonal issues. Low T, etc. You should be in the range of 70g+ of fat intake/day. I did the low fat diet like you for about 8 months and it did a number on my hormones. It takes a while to recover. Replace some of your carbs with healthy fats.

Dukebaseball9
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
One item that others haven't mentioned is the low amount of fat in your diet - long term it's going to cause some hormonal issues. Low T, etc. You should be in the range of 70g+ of fat intake/day. I did the low fat diet like you for about 8 months and it did a number on my hormones. It takes a while to recover. Replace some of your carbs with healthy fats.

I had the same problem and am currently 'recovering'. I was down around 2000 calories a day(probably 50 g of fat). I just recently started bumping them up gradually. First I went to 2200, then 2500 and now I'm at 3000 (120 g of fat) and feel great. I have actually maintained my weight but feel much, much better throughout the day.

I was wondering about the testosterone side effects. I lost nearly all of my sexual drive when I was at 2000 calories, how long did it take you to return to normal?

RichardDavis
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Maybe I could get those extra calories in fats. What would you suggest? I know peanut butter is supposed to be good.

RichardDavis
03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
I should also mention that in the morning, I take a multivitamin and 3000mg of fish oil. My protein shake is about 50g - half casein, half whey, and mixed with 12 oz 1% milk. I also have a casein shake right before bed, 25g of protein, 6oz of 1% milk.

I have heard that on cardio days, it might not be a good idea for me to eat that first meal, and instead take some BCAAs. I guess the theory is that if I don't eat, it is more likely that I'll be burning fat during cardio, and that the BCAAs will stop my body from also burning muscle.

I have the same breakfast every morning - 1.5 cups of Kellogs Fiber Plus Antioxidant Cinnamon Oat Crunch Cereal with 8oz of 1% milk. Should I not be eating the carbs before my workout? Would it be better to just have a protein shake or an egg beaters omelet and then eat the cereal after I work out?

Studdmuffin
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
i answere cause you asked me too also I am not saying IF/WD is the only way to go there are definately many routs to take for success:
your training looks good but if you are unsure about that many cals a day then
dude check out the WD forum man, me or Italian muscle or sicworldwide can answere any questions you might have. Personally we are all still adding a bit of seize and eating 1800-2000cals a day. But personally i would up the protein to 180-200 and drop the carbs to 120-150 and make sure you are getting one cheat day or one cheat meal to maintain thyroid.

my day looks like this:
7am coffe and devotional
8:30am hypershock and head to the gym
8:45-10:00or 10:15 workout with xtend aminos
10:30 post shake with 30g protein and 30g carbs
maybe some green tea durring the day
5pm-9pm eating phase or 1500-1700cals

As you can see i fast 13hours from dinner to post workout shake and then again 6:30 hours until dinner though if you need you need you can throw in a extra shake or non fat greek yogurt.But on this regiment i am still gaining and dropping body fat as well as everyone following my forum.

despite a small lecture that took place within my forum (which actually help us find more information proving our stand point)we have actually gavethered more pub med clinical trials as well as Alan Aragon, Martin Berkman, Ori Hoffmekler, amoung several others supporting IF or simply undereating and over eating(warrior diet) if you can go all day on just a post shake supports increase optimization of digestive trackt and food obsorption, Increase in natural test levels and GH levels, increased stamina and energy durring the day, better use of insulin before bed and also increased life span. The latest pub med tiral we have found showed human subjects who consumed the majority of their cals in a 4 hours window say greater body recompezition and strength increase.

Studdmuffin
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
also this dood is right up your fat a bit

RichardDavis
03-23-2011, 06:14 AM
So, on a 2000 calorie a day diet, what should the levels for fats, carbs, and protein be?

Studdmuffin
03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
1800-2100cals 180-200g protein 120-150 g carbs is just what i would focus on and just make sure your throwing in some avocado or some kind of healthy fats but i personally dont count them like i use too.

So, on a 2000 calorie a day diet, what should the levels for fats, carbs, and protein be?

docchio
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Good thread. I was waiting for this guy to get wailed on but peeps are genuinely helping. Good stuff.

RichardDavis
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
1800-2100cals 180-200g protein 120-150 g carbs is just what i would focus on and just make sure your throwing in some avocado or some kind of healthy fats but i personally dont count them like i use too.

Wow - 180. I thought I was pushing it at 150! :)

Is it true that I should completely cut out carbs before bed, and stick with healthy fats and protein?

- R

RichardDavis
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Good thread. I was waiting for this guy to get wailed on but peeps are genuinely helping. Good stuff.

Yeah, I am glad I didn't get wailed on. Did I invite that?

docchio
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I am glad I didn't get wailed on. Did I invite that?

nah, your asking questions that anyone from the general public would ask.

Basically...

calculate how many calories you need, the resources to do that are all available on the stickies in this forum.

1-1.5g protein/lb of bodyweight
.45-1g fat/lb of bodyweight

Fill the rest in with carbs, or eat some more protein if you wish.
When you eat things does not matter, as your bodies energy requirements will create a balance. Say you ate carbs 5 mins before bed. If those carbs do not exceed your daily calorie requirements, then they will not be stored as fat, plain and simple. No particular nutrient instantly gets stored as fat, it is only when ENERGY INTAKE exceeds ENERGY EXPENDITURE, that that excess ENERGY in whatever form it takes, is stored as fat in the body.

energy=calories