PDA

View Full Version : Manual Labour = Sudden Weight Gain

MajorTwang
03-21-2011, 02:52 AM
I track my weight daily so I can get an idea of any day-to-day fluctuations in bodyweight. It's been quite useful over the past few months - especially to get an idea what happens when I manipulate my carb intake.

Over the weekend, I pretty much spent all day Saturday & Sunday lugging heavy boxes around. I've probably shifted a couple of tons of stuff out of my loft & into the garage, then took two carloads of rubbish to the local dump.

This morning, I'm about 3lb heavier than normal.

This is the third time I've noticed this. We're moving house soon, so I've had a few weekends recently where I've been working like a pit-pony, and I keep seeing a sudden spike in my bodyweight that drops off over the next couple of days.

On days like this, calories tend to be up a bit on normal, but not much. I don't eat much when I'm busy working, but tend to pig out in the evening. Carbs tend to be lower than normal.

I'm guessing it's got to be fluid - but does anyone have a clear idea what's going on though ?

Christiffer
03-21-2011, 03:04 AM
My guess would be the same as yours. I recently switches to eating the majority of my cals in the evening and the first couple weeks I saw a 2lb weight gain. The past week i went back to normal weight. Probably water..?

insomniac0
03-21-2011, 03:04 AM
all body muscles damaged (trained - the hard work causes microinjuries to your muscles ) - microinjuries draw water to them in the process of healing

+ Ofcourse you'll be heavier the next morning if you eat a whole bunch of food in the evening.

angryguywalking
03-21-2011, 04:35 AM
If the weight is coming off as fast as it's coming on, it will most definitely be water weight, which is due to a change in your eating schedule.

Plus if you've been sweating a lot, your body might want to hold on to that extra water because of the amount you've lost

MajorTwang
03-21-2011, 05:18 AM
It's definitely come off within a couple of days when this has happened before, so I'm confident it's water.

I don't think it's to do with the eating schedule. I often tend towards a more IF style schedule at the weekends, so eating late at weekends is normal & doesn't usually translate into a scale increase Monday morning.

I'm thinking more micro-injury drawing in water. My hands are slightly swollen, and my joints are definitely feeling their age this morning.

Shame it's temporaty, because I'm on a bulk at the moment, and this morning I was over 180 & muscular for the first time since the mid 1990's.

jonnyspaghettio
03-21-2011, 06:14 AM
^ yes its water weight. I don't think its even possible for actual fat to fluctuate like that...certainly not muscle.

Anabrahlic
03-21-2011, 06:16 AM
What's with the line in your abs, OP? It looks so weird..

sawoobley
03-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Water weight. It happens when you go from a period of inactivity to lifting heavy weights. It also occurs when you change routines and you start working different muscles. The weight usually drops back down by the end of the week.

MajorTwang
03-21-2011, 06:51 AM
What's with the line in your abs, OP? It looks so weird..

It's just a fold in my skin caused by the way I'm crunching my abs. You wait until you get to my age you cheeky twat.