PDA

View Full Version : Ideas / recipes for broke college students

aintn0halfstepn
03-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Do you bros have any tips on healthy recipes or foods to eat that are easy on the wallet?

BookMonkey
03-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Learning to cook is a good start. Having a kitchen is a must also. One of my staples was 15-bean Chicken soup. You can buy a bag of the 15-bean mix for about $2. Then depending on where you shop, you can get about a pound or two of chicken for $2-3/lb, cheaper if you are willing to do the work to de-bone and take the skin off.

Basic recipe:

15-bean (dry) bag - $2
2 lbs of chicken - $4
1 can of diced tomatoes - $1
whatever veggies you want (frozen works for a cheaper route) - $1

Basically, you have to rinse and soak the beans the night before in a large container. They will soak the water and increase in size, so give them room to grow. The next day, rinse them again, and throw them into a large pot. Then fill with fresh water (or for more flavor, chicken broth and/or water) up to about 1-2 inches just above the beans. Then add the tomatoes and the diced raw chicken. Add whatever spices you want (I usually go paprika, cumin, red chili flakes). I usually also add a bit of olive oil for taste and fat since I usually cut the fat off the chicken. Let the whole thing simmer as low as possible for 1.5 hours (or longer), stirring occasionally. If using frozen veggies, add them towards the last 20-30 minutes otherwise they will get mushy.

Ignoring the initial cost of spices, this whole thing costs about $8 and will give you about 10 meals. Applies to all macros, is very filling, and won't break the bank.

Of course, this is just an example of how to stretch your dollar. When it comes to finances, the first thing that should be considered is calories. Only then should you consider macros. Of course, it is fairly easy financially to live off of chicken, eggs, and oatmeal all day everyday. But I'd probably go insane (I tried it for a week, got to day 4 before I couldn't take it).

almightyares
03-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Do you bros have any tips on healthy recipes or foods to eat that are easy on the wallet?

Eggs
Ground beef
Chicken breast (if you find the right place)
Milk (usually decent price)
Oats
Light tuna
Water

bennettj
03-21-2011, 04:55 AM
As someone in college right now, my staples are the following:

- omelettes
- chili
- chicken breast
- oatmeal
- tuna
- lunch meat (turkey, roast beef...whatever's on sale)

thomasfrank09
03-21-2011, 05:54 AM
What if you're in a dorm and can't cook? What do you guys think of canned food? It can be good, but it's really high in sodium. Any ideas?

Shrederator
03-21-2011, 05:58 AM
What if you're in a dorm and can't cook? What do you guys think of canned food? It can be good, but it's really high in sodium. Any ideas?

If you're in a dorm and can't cook, look for a park with a grill.

Get some cheap chicken pieces (leg quarters are good) and some beef, then grill a week's worth of meat.

You can also boil water on those park grills if you bring a pot, so you can cook a crapload of pasta and ration that out through the week. Just microwave meat and pasta, throw in some veggies/sauce and good to go.

ven33
03-21-2011, 05:59 AM
This question is asked every week.

Try using the "search" feature found in the top right of this page. Then type in "College students" and I am sure you will find thousands of results.

jonnyspaghettio
03-21-2011, 06:31 AM
You can still have a desk and electric grill in a dorm right?

Did you know you can microwave eggs?

JHarden
03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I got a George Foreman Grill when I was in the dorm. Totally worth the money.

Shrederator
03-21-2011, 06:42 AM
You can still have a desk and electric grill in a dorm right?

Did you know you can microwave eggs?

A lot of places have totally banned hot plates/electric grills etc.

Often the only way to cook in a dorm is to use a microwave, which actually reminds me of this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=tupperware+stack+cooker&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18073802681946118766#

You can cook a whole chicken in the microwave in 30 minutes, comes out excellent every time.

insomniac0
03-21-2011, 06:45 AM
If you buy protein powder in bulk it's actually a very cheap source of easy-to-prepare protein.
Just find the cheapest & the biggest possible package, and then do some math / how much protein can you get from real food for that amount of money. You'll be surprised...

Just mix in some PB & oats and you've got yourself a tasty, nutritious, cheap and easy to prepare meal