PDA

View Full Version : Oats Taste Horrible...

JakebL
03-20-2011, 04:48 PM
So, I hate the taste of oats. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the texture that they do. I have to force them down every morning gagging all the way. Which brings me to the point.

What is a way to make oats tasty but still healthy.

juliacheh
03-20-2011, 04:49 PM
You don't have to eat them.
Eat other carbs.

yieldtonothing
03-20-2011, 04:49 PM
there is no way. you have to eat oats, egg whites (NO YELLOWS EVER) brown rice, tuna and cottage cheese everyday to make nay progress.

mannydawg
03-20-2011, 04:50 PM
You don't have to eat them.
Eat other carbs.

this

FallenEngel
03-20-2011, 04:52 PM
I, along with many other forum members, enjoy mixing protein powders, jello/pudding mixes, fruits, spices, nuts, syrups, and sweeteners into oats.

If you don't enjoy oats, though, don't bother with them. Get your carbs from your preferred source.

coals
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I, along with many other forum members, enjoy mixing protein powders, jello/pudding mixes, fruits, spices, nuts, syrups, and sweeteners into oats.

If you don't enjoy oats, though, don't bother with them. Get your carbs from your preferred source.

This.

who eats plain oats + water, sounds boring and lame.

Vibrio
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I never found a way to make 'em taste good so I just stopped trying. Occasionally I'll throw raw oats into my protein shakes though

JakebL
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM
This.

who eats plain oats + water, sounds boring and lame.

Lol. I am just going by the plan they give you. I wouldnt know what to substitute them with. I have been eating them every morning for about 2 weeks now. I guess it atleast shows my drive to get in shape right?

mannydawg
03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Lol. I am just going by the plan they give you. I wouldnt know what to substitute them with. I have been eating them every morning for about 2 weeks now. I guess it atleast shows my drive to get in shape right?

much much oats are you eating?

JakebL
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM

The protein powder actually sounds like a good idea. How much do you mix in with it?

JakebL
03-20-2011, 04:59 PM
much much oats are you eating?

Bout half cup dry oats cooked in water in the morning.

mannydawg
03-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Bout half cup dry oats cooked in water in the morning.

well half a cup is about 27g of carbs just substitute with anything close to that.

FallenEngel
03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
The protein powder actually sounds like a good idea. How much do you mix in with it?

It really depends on the protein powder you're using, as well as your desired level of thickness (obviously, more protein powder will result in a thicker, higher-calorie concoction).

Just experiment!

MikeK46
03-20-2011, 05:27 PM

By using the search function. Theres a thousand threads about this with a new one each day.

codenameLift
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I put in a small amount of honey and some cinnamon.

Lobotomyser
03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Skim milk is great with oatmeal... and if you want to throw in some powder... make shure the oats are cooked before you mix them with protein, or it will taste like ****

Edit: don't microwave whey

moojeni
03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
If you don't want to add calories to the oats just mix the oats with water and put some splenda and cinnamon. It's really tasty.

rakeshmistry
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
First of all, to maximize the health benefits of eating oats...only buy the old fashioned (steel cut) oats, no flavors....throw it in the blender first to make it powdery, add protein shake (chocolate), strawberries/blueberries, cottage cheese, flax seed (A MUST), organic peanut butter, milk....and then you got a delicious shake.

Your shake will be thick and gritty, but just drink it down and it's so much better than sitting down for 15 minutes and force feeding yourself food. When too lazy to eat, make a shake and you're good to go.

Lobotomyser
03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
First of all, to maximize the health benefits of eating oats...only buy the old fashioned (steel cut) oats, no flavors....throw it in the blender first to make it powdery, add protein shake (chocolate), strawberries/blueberries, cottage cheese, flax seed (A MUST), organic peanut butter, milk....and then you got a delicious shake.

Your shake will be thick and gritty, but just drink it down and it's so much better than sitting down for 15 minutes and force feeding yourself food. When too lazy to eat, make a shake and you're good to go.

Not shure if serious...

SCG

This I grind about 1/2kg of oats at a time to toss in my shake. Quick easy carb source if i'm in a rush. Though I do also really enjoy plain oats in water or sometimes with a splenda packet.

codenameLift

Good call.

AlwaysTryin
03-20-2011, 05:44 PM
As Julia said, eat something else!!

I hope you are eating bull testicles as well for the anabolic benefit since you feel you must have oats.....................

juliacheh
03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
As Julia said, eat something else!!

I hope you are eating bull testicles as well for the anabolic benefit since you feel you must have oats.....................

Actually bull's testicles are not that bad, I had them once or twice, I think.

mannydawg
03-20-2011, 05:52 PM

I think that is something I would remember exactly how many times I ate it. lol

juliacheh
03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I think that is something I would remember exactly how many times I ate it. lol

It was a very long time ago LOL

JakebL
03-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Yea but if I'm too lazy to eat. I'll be too lazy to clean the blender right. lol.

mannydawg
03-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Yea but if I'm too lazy to eat. I'll be too lazy to clean the blender right. lol.

not trying to be mean but come on be realistic.

JakebL
03-20-2011, 05:59 PM

I would feel too bad for the bull to eat them. Every cut would make me feel empathetic. I would imagine my balls being removed, cooked, cut up, and eaten....... Not happening.

TheSoupster
03-20-2011, 06:01 PM
So, I hate the taste of oats. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the texture that they do. I have to force them down every morning gagging all the way. Which brings me to the point.

A staple for me is 1cup oats, 1up natty apple sauce, 1tbs bestlife butter, microwave for 2min, mix up=heaven on earth.

BrianSFL
03-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Making oat pancakes neutralizes them for the most part. I love them.

Add in 2, 3, 4, eggs (whatever you want,) a little oats, a little milk, a little cream or sour cream, and mix to a not too thick, not too watery composition.

Heat up a skillet, spray it, and cook. They come out looking JUST LIKE pancakes. They don't exactly taste like pancakes, mind you, but they're good...and it sort of nullifies the oat texture you dislike. Try it out sometime.

Black_Spit
03-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Personally I really like oats and eat them all the time. In shakes, with meals, whatever... Plain or with cinnamon.

Op, if you want to eat them, add cinnamon. Cinnamon + Vanilla extract is good. Or fruit. Or peanut butter and milk.

PBateman2
03-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Oats+whey+PB+some fruit = WIN.

Alternatives: cereal, quinoa, breads, etc..

page9931
03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Although i realize you may not be fond of this idea, this is what i do. (I think it also depends on what kinda oats you buy "Quick rolled oats" are best in my opinion so what i do is i put whatever oats i'm going eat into a bowl and i just dump a ton of cold water in the bowl, I use to bowl warm water and put that on them, But i've honestly found cold water makes them softer/easier to eat dont even have to chew just suck it back. It doesnt really have a taste to me when done this way....Dunno if it'll be as good in your opinion though

C29i
03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Eat kashi cereal instead, more protein too in the protein one.

sgreenfly
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
there is no way. you have to eat oats, egg whites (NO YELLOWS EVER) brown rice, tuna and cottage cheese everyday to make nay progress.

Have to disagree with your (NO YELLOWS EVER) theory

Vibrio
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Have to disagree with your (NO YELLOWS EVER) theory

notsureifsrs

dlemaster
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Oatmeal with a little sugar and cinnamon is the bomb but if that's not working for you then just do what many others have already suggested, substitute something else. Just use the search function, there are tons of things you can substitute in place of oatmeal.

deadpool9
03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
If its the texture that you hate, have you tried microwaving them? It gives them a different texture, a bit softer and not so chewy.
I microwave mine then throw in 1 scoop of banana protein powder with a little extra water. Tastes great. :)

jasonv
03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Steel cut oats and "quick oats" shouldn't even have the same name.

I like oats, I love steel cut oats. I crave them.

That's right. Gonna eat some right now.

Killshot1
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
you can eat other stuff. but hey when i first started eating oats i literally took like 30 minutes to eat them. i gagged like hell trying to down a single cup. over about a month or so i got used to eating them if they were flavored. but now i can straight eat plain oats no prob.

I personally do 1/2c oats, 1/2c milk + 1 egg (after its cooked). s'great!

Moulson
03-21-2011, 05:57 PM

TRY THIS: Oats, Milk, 1.2 tsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp splenda and a small handful of walnuts.

BookMonkey
03-21-2011, 07:00 PM
My latest thing is what I lamely call: OATMEAL OMELET!

Basically, I cook oats the plain way, but towards the end, I add paprika and Frank's Red Hot sauce. Then using my large crepe-style cast iron pan, I spread out 4-5 beaten eggs until they make a thin omelet. As the usual way to make an omelet, I let it sit until part way done, then add on the oatmeal into a rectangular shape in the center. Then I top with diced red onions, cheese, and salsa. Then I fold over the four edges so it forms a rectangular packet. I let if cook a bit longer before flipping to seal the top side and let everything melt together.

I swear, when I have the time, this is my new thing. You barely taste the oats with the taste of everything else blowing your mind.

I'll add this to my food log at some point...with pictures...

JakebL
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I appreciate that their are so many people willing to help with this issue. I actually slapped half cup in with my protein shake and that worked for me. Thanks everyone.

Cumulonimbus
03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Splenda, cinnamon, cocoa, chocolate bits, peanut butter, berries, diced apples, muesli.. tons of ideas, never endless.