PDA

View Full Version : How am I losing inches but not weight?

Juiceyjen209
03-16-2011, 10:50 AM
So I started at 178lbs on January 1st and I'm down 10lbs to 168 since. My weight loss has stalled but I'm losing inches because I can feel it in my clothes (I've gone down maybe 1 size). What's the deal? It's beyond frustrating! My diet is on point as are my workouts (I've been switching up workout intensities and lengths every week). I need help!

RTW2
03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Weight is different than fat.... you are losing fat..... be happy.

ejthomp
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Weight is different than fat.... you are losing fat..... be happy.

Be happy, but not too happy.

You still weigh 168 pounds and are 5'3" tall so you should be seeing a drop on the scale too.

Describe your "on point" diet as it obviously isn't working.

snorkelman
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
If you are a newbie, it is possible to lose fat and gain LBM at the same time. Even if your weight is the same, you can actually be losing fat and gaining muscle and the overall bodyweight may be the same.

HealthResearch
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
You have to post more details like your diet and workouts.

Depending on your diet, much of that 10 lbs could have been water loss and some fat loss and now you see some muscle gain and put back some of that water.

Most diets after the first month seem to stall because of the water regain issues.

If you have seen 3 weeks with no budge on the scale, reduce calories 300 per day and wait another 3 weeks.

MagnumPeanut82
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Scales are lying whores, that's why.

h3at
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Scales are lying whores, that's why.

Damn SKANKS!

sharpieblet
03-16-2011, 12:47 PM
are you weighing at the same time each weigh in? also, sounds like you're losing body fat, so i don't understand why you're not content. if the scale don't go down, but you feel looser in your clothing, then you're probably ok. this is why it's important to take multiple pictures each week, to track your progress. day to day basis, looking in the mirror isn't going to help much b/c you won't see the little changes as quick.

tomsfish
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
join the club.ive only lost 8 lbs in 8 months,but also 2 pant sizes.ride it while you can.

paulmmc
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
are you weighing at the same time each weigh in? also, sounds like you're losing body fat, so i don't understand why you're not content. if the scale don't go down, but you feel looser in your clothing, then you're probably ok. this is why it's important to take multiple pictures each week, to track your progress. day to day basis, looking in the mirror isn't going to help much b/c you won't see the little changes as quick.

^^^this

You really need to start taking body stats / weighing yourself at the same time each week (I do mine upon rise in nude every saturday morning after I have sprung a leak). Google the Navy formula for this - it is free and easy to do.

It does sound as if you are losing bodyfat% whilst maintaining LBM which is a pretty perfect scenario to be honest (only gaining LBM whilst losing bodyfat% beats it).

Remember this game is about losing bodyfat% and not necessarily weight per se - lets leave that to the "dieters" from weightwatchers and such like :)

Juiceyjen209
03-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I eat about 1200 calories/day. Breakfast: 1 egg 2 whites scrambled w/olive oil. Snack:small apple w/peanut butter. Lunch: 4oz grilled chicken breast with 1/4 cup brown rice with olive oil. Snack: string cheese or granola bar. Dinner: same as lunch.

Workouts consist of 5-6 days a week, 30min of strength training/weights and 40-50 minutes of cardio (some days high intensity like running and some days lower intensity like elliptical)

And I also started taking superpump 250 before my workouts about a month ago, could that be causing the stall in weight loss?? There's no reason with my diet and excercise regimen that i shouldn't be losing weight! Grrrr.

I'm happy with the 10lbs lost so far and the looser fitting clothes but come on, 168lbs is NOT hot! Although, I have noticed I'm more toned.

sharpieblet
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
what do you expect? to get your ultimate results in one month? it's taken me a year's worth of strict dieting to get to where i am now, and it'll probably take me another year to get to my preferred body. slow fat loss is healthy fat loss. if you'd rather have loose skin issues, starve yourself and overtrain, and see how that goes.

i see that 1300 cals a day is roughly what your intake should be. you should be eating at LEAST that, maybe even 2 to 3 hundred more per day, given your amount of cardio and working out. i don't think you're taking enough cals in to be at optimal fat loss. don't know what superpump 250 is, but if it causes any water retention like creatine, then it could also have a little to do with it.

eat more or cut back your cardio some. you're not getting quite enough cals at your body's expense.

HealthResearch
03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I eat about 1200 calories/day. Breakfast: 1 egg 2 whites scrambled w/olive oil. Snack:small apple w/peanut butter. Lunch: 4oz grilled chicken breast with 1/4 cup brown rice with olive oil. Snack: string cheese or granola bar. Dinner: same as lunch.

Workouts consist of 5-6 days a week, 30min of strength training/weights and 40-50 minutes of cardio (some days high intensity like running and some days lower intensity like elliptical)

And I also started taking superpump 250 before my workouts about a month ago, could that be causing the stall in weight loss?? There's no reason with my diet and excercise regimen that i shouldn't be losing weight! Grrrr.

I'm happy with the 10lbs lost so far and the looser fitting clothes but come on, 168lbs is NOT hot! Although, I have noticed I'm more toned.

You are doing great. Don't listen to any 'eat more' advice. if you can tolerate 1200 calories without cheating, go for it. Only if it's too little and and you feel like crap too often should you raise it a bit or cut back on the cardio.

Keep going. Do rely on the scales, like most are suggesting, except perhaps only to weigh in monthly. Water fluctuations are especially pronounced in women and can give you scale misreadings for weeks where it seems like nothing is happening, or even show weight gain.

Just remember it's water. At that calorie count and that much exercise you are losing fat.

HealthResearch
03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
You are doing great. Don't listen to any 'eat more' advice. if you can tolerate 1200 calories without cheating, go for it. Only if it's too little and and you feel like crap too often should you raise it a bit or cut back on the cardio.

Keep going. Do rely on the scales, like most are suggesting, except perhaps only to weigh in monthly. Water fluctuations are especially pronounced in women and can give you scale misreadings for weeks where it seems like nothing is happening, or even show weight gain.

Just remember it's water. At that calorie count and that much exercise you are losing fat.

That should read, 'DON'T rely on the scales, like most are suggesting'

paulmmc
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
10lbs in around 10-12 weeks is not a disaster although there is always a larger loss in the early period and then it settles down to a slower steady loss.

There may be an element of truth to the above posters comments with regard to calories, 1200 a day and 5-6 workouts per week - it may be worthwhile to up this by 100-200 on workout days. Could be an element of starvation mode and overtraining - take a couple of days off and have a rest.

Have you calculated your TDEE and used a x-multiplier for activity? Try the Katch-McArdle formula for this if you have not.

That said, you seem to answer your own question, slacker clothing and a toner body aint a bad result so far.

sharpieblet
03-16-2011, 02:35 PM
not to butt heads, but telling her to ignore the eating more cals help is not helping her. just b/c she feels fine eating that low doesn't mean she isn't losing muscle mass. i could get by most days on 1200 cals if i wanted, and still get through my workouts, but that definitely wouldn't mean that i wasn't losing any muscle from it.

edit: i used a BMR calculator for her stats and it came up to 1800ish per day, with a sedentary lifestyle. so that means 1300 per day would be good for fat loss...not taking into account the NON-sedentary lifestyle that she has. so the extra couple hundred or so cals per day could definitely save her from losing too much too fast.

ppardee
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM
not to butt heads, but telling her to ignore the eating more cals help is not helping her. just b/c she feels fine eating that low doesn't mean she isn't losing muscle mass. i could get by most days on 1200 cals if i wanted, and still get through my workouts, but that definitely wouldn't mean that i wasn't losing any muscle from it.

edit: i used a BMR calculator for her stats and it came up to 1800ish per day, with a sedentary lifestyle. so that means 1300 per day would be good for fat loss...not taking into account the NON-sedentary lifestyle that she has. so the extra couple hundred or so cals per day could definitely save her from losing too much too fast.

Based on her experience, (losing inches but not weight) what makes you think she could be losing significant muscle mass? I won't debate that she isn't losing ANY muscle mass, but that is almost a given for any deficit. (trying to learn, not trying to argue)

1200 kcal is probably a bit aggressive, but I would hesitate to call it disastrous. The calculator I used but here at 1800-2000 maintenance as well. A 20% cut would be ~1400-1600 kcal. If we assume her maintenance is 2000, she is only eating at an 800 kcal deficit. This by itself doesn't sound that strict to me. Its a 40% deficit, which DOES sound strict. Does the deficit percentage matter?

And to the OP. Was reading something from Lyle McDonald the other day, he said that he has never seen a study (with reliable data) that showed a person eating at a deficit for a significant period of time that did not ultimately lose weight. Keep the protein intake and fat intake to acceptable levels (1-1.5 g/lbm and .5g/lbm respectively) and be patient. The scale is a horrible way to measure fat loss. If you're accurately tracking your intake, you'll reach your goal eventually.

Paul

Juiceyjen209
03-18-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm in a hurry to lose weight because I'm in a weight loss contest among 10 friends so that's the only reason I'm stressing on it, otherwise I'd let things happen as they may. If my "maintainence" calories are 1800 a day, by cutting 500 calories from that plus working out and burning 500 would mean a 1,000 deficit a day correct? Which means if I were to do that 6 days a week=almost 2lbs lost per week?

I've also been using superpump 250 for the past 3 weeks which has worked amazingly well with my workouts but I discovered it has creatine in it, would that be why I'm not losing weight? It's done a great job with the toning and building. I'm noticing more muscles and definition.

msm00b
03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
My wife is always unhappy with what the scale tells her ... for a 5'4" gal she sees 125-130 as too heavy. Interstingly enough, she was a sprinter through middle and highschool, still has the calves/gluts/thighs to prove it. She's not got much fat on her - lots of dense muscle. Anywho, 160s at your height means you still do have fat to lose. If the scale hasn't been changing, you're wrong on your calculations somewhere. Doubtful you could REALLY be eating 1200 cals/day, exercising as much as you are, and not losing pounds. You can build muscle at burn fat at the same time, but almost never at the same rate (pound for pound).

Take your diet back to the drawing board.

I've also been using superpump 250 for the past 3 weeks which has worked amazingly well with my workouts but I discovered it has creatine in it, would that be why I'm not losing weight? It's done a great job with the toning and building. I'm noticing more muscles and definition.

Creatine absolutely could be the reason. There's about a 5-6lb difference between me on and off creatine ... all of it water-weight.

Kelvandros
03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
After starting creatine, I gained ~7lbs in 2 weeks. Water is heavy.

jdies
03-18-2011, 08:16 AM
If you are a newbie, it is possible to lose fat and gain LBM at the same time. Even if your weight is the same, you can actually be losing fat and gaining muscle and the overall bodyweight may be the same.

I don't think this is it. If there is a defacit u think it's possible to lose fat/gain muscle on a 1:1 fat/muscle ratio? I think the lean mass would be much slower.

jdies
03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
After starting creatine, I gained ~7lbs in 2 weeks. Water is heavy.

I think this is it. When I was on mono I didn't drop a lb n 3 weeks. Dropped the mono and lost 12lbs n 2 weeks and a steady 2lbs a week ever since.

If ur losing inches be happy, if u must see the scale move drop the creatine and see if the scale moves.

I agree u should be eating a bit more

msm00b
03-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't think this is it. If there is a defacit u think it's possible to lose fat/gain muscle on a 1:1 fat/muscle ratio? I think the lean mass would be much slower.

Theoretically if the deficit were small enough the 2 could happen at approximately the same rate ... but I certainly wouldn't call that a "cut" - that seems to fall more in line with the idea of a "recomp".

Juiceyjen209
03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm totally getting confused with the conflicting opinions lol

ejthomp
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm totally getting confused with the conflicting opinions lol

There really shouldn't be conflicting opinions.

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but the scale weight must come down. 5'3" tall and 168 pounds will never be lean.... no matter how much muscle you think you are putting on.

Let's get real....a professional female bodybuilder... 5'3" tall doesn't weigh 130 pounds...and you don't have that kind of muscle mass.

Your goal weight is your own business...but don't lie to yourself....lean (my definition) you certainly weigh less than 120...

The scale weight must come down 1-2 pounds per week or you really aren't making adequate progress.

DocME
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I experienced the same issue your describing for my first month.

A) the creatine will make you retain more water weight, but help you with your work outs. If you're just concerned with your actual short term weight...I guess drop the creatine.

B) you're losing fat at the same time you're adding muscle....most people don't complain about these results.

C) if you're getting the physical results....better dimensions...better health....don't worry so much about what the scale says.

Results will come with time.

madkad
03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
OP

I have just gained 4lb this week and was on a diet like I was last week and the week before, no cheating etc and last week i gained 1lb and the week before 1lb

But my bf has been going down, ignore the scales but use them still, make sure your diet is in check and measure as this is what will tell you what is happening

Electricheadd
03-18-2011, 12:50 PM

http://www.sp250.net/superpump-250-ingredients

Superpump 260 has creatine in it. You are gaining some water weight.

inbetweendays
03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
If my "maintainence" calories are 1800 a day, by cutting 500 calories from that plus working out and burning 500 would mean a 1,000 deficit a day correct? Which means if I were to do that 6 days a week=almost 2lbs lost per week?

I noticed you specify 6 days per week rather than 7. Was that just a type-o or are you not following your plan one day a week?

snooks86
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd rather lose inches. Usually that indicates fat loss. One time, I gained 5 lbs but went down a pant size.

paulmmc
03-18-2011, 02:28 PM
For what its worth Jen, I think your goal is completely at odds with what should be your long term plan - to try and lose as much weight quickly to win a buddy competition is not the way - let your friends win and aim for the longer goal of success.

Like many have mentioned above, me included, to drop inches and clothing size = fat loss and you should be delighted with this. If at the same time your weight loss has slowed / is steady then this is down to LBM preservation / increase and/or creatine waterweight. I would take inch loss (in the right areas) over weight loss everytime.

I would personally redraft your long term plan, get in the habit of taking stats and just watch out for signs of overtraining (i.e. take a rest for a couple of days and start again).

Juiceyjen209
03-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I noticed you specify 6 days per week rather than 7. Was that just a type-o or are you not following your plan one day a week?

My diet stays the same but I have a rest day with no gym.

Juiceyjen209
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
There really shouldn't be conflicting opinions.

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but the scale weight must come down. 5'3" tall and 168 pounds will never be lean.... no matter how much muscle you think you are putting on.

Let's get real....a professional female bodybuilder... 5'3" tall doesn't weigh 130 pounds...and you don't have that kind of muscle mass.

Your goal weight is your own business...but don't lie to yourself....lean (my definition) you certainly weigh less than 120...

The scale weight must come down 1-2 pounds per week or you really aren't making adequate progress.

I never said being 168lbs at 5'3" was lean, which is why I'm frustrated that I'm NOT losing weight with the consistency in diet and excersize. I'm trying to figure out WHY I'm not losing any more weight after losing only 10lbs since January and what WILL help to do so.

Juiceyjen209
03-20-2011, 01:19 PM
For what its worth Jen, I think your goal is completely at odds with what should be your long term plan - to try and lose as much weight quickly to win a buddy competition is not the way - let your friends win and aim for the longer goal of success.

Like many have mentioned above, me included, to drop inches and clothing size = fat loss and you should be delighted with this. If at the same time your weight loss has slowed / is steady then this is down to LBM preservation / increase and/or creatine waterweight. I would take inch loss (in the right areas) over weight loss everytime.

I would personally redraft your long term plan, get in the habit of taking stats and just watch out for signs of overtraining (i.e. take a rest for a couple of days and start again).

I'm not looking to lose weight fast just to win a competition, but I'm discouraged that I'm not losing weight. Yes, I'm losing inches and the clothes are fitting a bit loose now, but I need to drop weight. I can't be 168lbs and be lean at 5'3" so the issue is what I need to do to help with the weight loss.

ejthomp
03-20-2011, 01:28 PM

I also started taking superpump 250 before my workouts about a month ago, could that be causing the stall in weight loss??

So you were losing weight consistently before you started taking "Superpump 250"?

And you've been 100% consistent with your diet in this same time frame?

5-6 pounds of water weight from adding creatine would certainly change your opinion of how things are going.....right?

If your weight loss has stalled on the scale, but you are losing inches, then water weight due to creatine certainly sounds feasible....

I'd recommend a couple things.... 1. Keep on, keeping on. Consistency and Patience win out. 2. Evaluate if this "Superpump 250" is really worth it. At your size...I think it is a waste of money and probably not helping you lose scale weight.

Juiceyjen209
03-20-2011, 01:48 PM
So you were losing weight consistently before you started taking "Superpump 250"?

And you've been 100% consistent with your diet in this same time frame?

5-6 pounds of water weight from adding creatine would certainly change your opinion of how things are going.....right?

If your weight loss has stalled on the scale, but you are losing inches, then water weight due to creatine certainly sounds feasible....

I'd recommend a couple things.... 1. Keep on, keeping on. Consistency and Patience win out. 2. Evaluate if this "Superpump 250" is really worth it. At your size...I think it is a waste of money and probably not helping you lose scale weight.

Superpump 250 claims to "lose body fat and increase lean muscle mass"...After I started taking it for about a week is when I noticed less "flab" so to say and the looser fitting clothes and it seemed as if I were starting to tone up when I looked in the mirror. My workouts have been hard and long while taking the superpump, without it my workouts aren't nearly as great so is it worth taking it? Yes and no. I guess I can stop taking it for a week or 2 and see if that helps the scale go down, if not...I'm at a loss for words because the diet and workouts have been consistent.

ejthomp
03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Water weight is lean body mass....and adding water weight does decrease your body fat percentage (not much, but the math works...) so the claims may be true...though not exactly honest...which is the case with virtually all supplements....half truths sell product.

The "pump" you get from any supplement is generally temporary until the body gets used to having it. Usually it is just caffeine. After that, it all goes back to what is going on between your ears. If it helps, or you think it helps, I guess it helps..... Though it may be temporarily hiding your fat loss.

Stay true to your diet and workouts. Good things will happen. Consistency and Patience.

GOOD LUCK!!!