PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually ever let yourself become hungry when you bulk ?

cocktapuss
03-15-2011, 07:22 AM
suppose a 5 meal a day diet with 3 hours(more or less) in between meals and 3000 cals a day ! I dont find it impossible or hard to do, i just dont become hungry every 3 hours. But then again maybe thats the purpose of a bulk, dunno ?

opinions ?

cybertronik
03-15-2011, 07:38 AM
suppose a 5 meal a day diet with 3 hours(more or less) in between meals and 3000 cals a day ! I dont find it impossible or hard to do, i just dont become hungry every 3 hours. But then again maybe thats the purpose of a bulk, dunno ?

opinions ?

Doesnt matter when you eat the calories. You can eat them in 10 meals of 300 cals or 1 meal of 3000 cals, it doesnt matter. As long as you hit the calorie aim every day, your still gonna gain the same.

The say have more meals so you have less time to work up a hunger, which for me is all day long lol.

Shrederator
03-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes.

I am hungry all day... if you just started, give it a little bit. Your body will get used to the increase in caloric intake.

Also, +1 to meal timing/frequency. Doesn't really matter as long as you hit your macros for the end of the day.

braggable
03-15-2011, 07:53 AM

opinions ?

If you are hungry AND on a bulk then you are doing something wrong. You have either miscalculated your needed macros/cals or are over estimating the nutritional value of the food you are eating.

braggable
03-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Also, what's with the 3 hour meal frequency? Eat 2-3 huge meals a day. Figure out your correct macro/cal needs. Problem solved.

MajorTwang
03-15-2011, 07:57 AM
I prefer to be hungry when I start eating during a bulk, otherwise I get the feeling that I'm cramming in food that I don't really want to eat.

Four meals a day spaced around 4hrs apart seems to do the trick for me. Breakfast at 7:30ish after I workout, first lunch at 11, second lunch around 3 and dinner around 7pm.

Foe1605
03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
If you are hungry AND on a bulk then you are doing something wrong. You have either miscalculated your needed macros/cals or are over estimating the nutritional value of the food you are eating.

Actually I disagree with this. I'm doing an IF bulk at +15% of my maintenance and I'm actually pretty hungry right now. In all fairness though, I have been fasting for the past 15 hours but even in between meals during my feeding window, I experience hunger before the next meal.

cybertronik
03-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I could eat all day... and Im not talking eating ****, I could easily eat chicken and brown rice all day lol. I just love food.. lol

Most time im not actually hungry but I still wanna eat. Being on a bulk and trying to keep it a slow bulk is killing me lol. I could easily eat 1000 cals over a day lol

braggable
03-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Actually I disagree with this. I'm doing an IF bulk at +15% of my maintenance and I'm actually pretty hungry right now. In all fairness though, I have been fasting for the past 15 hours but even in between meals during my feeding window, I experience hunger before the next meal.

I am slow bulking on an 16/8 IF. 300 cals over maintenance. 2 huge meals a day. No hunger whatsoever even though I train fasted at 5am and do not break the fast til 12noon.

ko300zx
03-15-2011, 08:06 AM
I am slow bulking on an 16/8 IF. 300 cals over maintenance. 2 huge meals a day. No hunger whatsoever even though I train fasted at 5am and do not break the fast til 12noon.

To each their own. Some will be hungry, some won't. I don't really get hungry on IF and that's on a 16/8 schedule as well, at 500cal under maintenance. I will at night occasionally, but that's always after an intense night in the gym or some long cardio and an hour long drive home. Typical nights, nothing. On that note, it was awful when not on IF. I would go to bed starving and wake up in the middle of the night forcing myself to stay out of the refrigerator.

rob440
03-15-2011, 08:07 AM
I am never hungry when trying to gain weight. If I get hungry I know I havent eaten enough that day. I think it depends on how much you the individual need to eat to gain weight. I have a fast metabolism but someone with a slow one might have a completely different experience.IMO how much and when you need to eat is one of those things you must learn from trial and error.

juliacheh
I'm always hungry, bulking or cutting, unless sick.

Foe1605

lol I literally run the exact same program except fasted training at 6am, break the fast at 12.

psychodiver9
03-15-2011, 08:08 AM
I could eat all day... and Im not talking eating ****, I could easily eat chicken and brown rice all day lol. I just love food.. lol

Most time im not actually hungry but I still wanna eat. Being on a bulk and trying to keep it a slow bulk is killing me lol. I could easily eat 1000 cals over a day lol
Me too. I can't wait to bulk

braggable
03-15-2011, 08:08 AM
To each their own. Some will be hungry, some won't. I don't really get hungry on IF and that's on a 16/8 schedule as well, at 500cal under maintenance. I will at night occasionally, but that's always after an intense night in the gym or some long cardio and an hour long drive home. Typical nights, nothing.

Word. Sometimes I feel like it's not even hunger but boredom. But that was before I started IF. It still amazes me how good I feel and how much energy I have while fasting 16 hours a day. Crazy.

cybertronik
03-15-2011, 08:09 AM

I am actualy thinking of changing from 6 meals a day to 2 or 3 a day. Prob I get (esp at work) is I know I have food in my bag lol. So even tho Im not hungry, the tempting sweet, sweet oats in my bag have to be devoured lol.

If I only took one big meal to work, once its gone, its gone lol

Basic_wonder
03-15-2011, 08:10 AM
I am bulking at 3500 cals and the only time I am not hungry is the half hour after I eat a meal ......

juliacheh
03-15-2011, 08:11 AM

It gets worse on a bulk, at least for me. I eat more food, I'm lifting heavier and heavier, become even hungrier LOL.

cybertronik
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM

It kills me to stick to routine. Crazy thing is, I started taking creatine when I started bulking, so I dont actually know if the weight Im gaining is through water retention or cos Im hitting my surplus to much. I could be eating under what Im suppose to lol.

If Im eating under, Im going on a weekend eating bender I swear lol.

braggable
03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
lol I literally run the exact same program except fasted training at 6am, break the fast at 12.

Nice! Good to see a fellow IIFYM'er on the same schedule.

(Damn iPhone posts = can't show sig)

psychodiver9
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Word. Sometimes I feel like it's not even hunger but boredom. But that was before I started IF. It still amazes me how good I feel and how much energy I have while fasting 16 hours a day. Crazy.
I agree with this. I notice that during the week I'm typically hungry more often and focused on eating foods. On weekends I typically miss snacks and have to make the cals up later because I'm not as focused on eating

Rambo26
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I've been kind of hungry on 5000+ cals, it just happens

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/rambo26/anigif_deal-with-it-crab-21337-1271098670-392.gif

MajorTwang
03-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Not true at all.

Bulking correctly is about eating enough calories to max out muscle growth without gaining too much fat - not eating so much that your hunger response is completely wiped out.

If you eat at regular times, your ghrelin levels become entrained to your regular mealtimes, so you'll often find yourself getting peckish not because your body is acutely in need of calories, but simply because it's dinner time & your body is expecting calories about now.

MajorTwang
03-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I started taking creatine when I started bulking, so I dont actually know if the weight Im gaining is through water retention or cos Im hitting my surplus to much.

Let that be a lesson to you. :)

When experimenting, only change one variable at a time.

FullTime
03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
It gets worse on a bulk, at least for me. I eat more food, I'm lifting heavier and heavier, become even hungrier LOL.

Didnt think it was possible but somehow it is. Not hungry at all when cutting but now that I'm trying to bulk i find myself ready to eat the fridge at any given time lol

cocktapuss
03-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Doesnt matter when you eat the calories. You can eat them in 10 meals of 300 cals or 1 meal of 3000 cals, it doesnt matter. As long as you hit the calorie aim every day, your still gonna gain the same.

The say have more meals so you have less time to work up a hunger, which for me is all day long lol.

So you are saying that when on a bulk, splitting up the meals doest matter at all as long as u consume your daily calories ?

This is relevant to my interests !!!111

so if i was to consume all my calories in one meal, like lunch, (very unlikely) I'd still make my gains even if that meant me not eating for the rest of that day ?

gravite
03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
i am never hungry. I eat every 2 hours.

cybertronik
03-16-2011, 11:11 PM
So you are saying that when on a bulk, splitting up the meals doest matter at all as long as u consume your daily calories ?

This is relevant to my interests !!!111

so if i was to consume all my calories in one meal, like lunch, (very unlikely) I'd still make my gains even if that meant me not eating for the rest of that day ?

ofc. Its to do with calories in vs calories out. IF you (for example) need to eat 3000 cals a day, doesnt matter when you eat them that day, you will still gain the same. I actually do it over the week sometimes. I aim for 2700 a day, so if some days I eat 200 under for a few days, then I will eat 400 extra one day. Say if I want a pizza... I save up 1200 cals over the week then just blow out and have a pizza on the friday. But obv dont make a habit of eating **** on a bulk. :)

It all adds up.

MarkVI
03-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Not usually. I think that in general if someone is hungry on a bulk it means they should be eating that extra food because they're training merits it, or they are off kilt a bit like coming out of being very lean (i.e. prep...eat 10kcals and still be starving like a holocaust victim) or a woman.

My fiance is "bulking" right now and she's hungry all the time no matter what lol....not ravenous but if asked she would be up for chowing down.

For me -- not real hungry, I eat about 3600-4000 calories a day depending on the training day and most of it is "clean" like chicken and potato's or steak fajitas etc....not much pizza or sugary stuff.

Though if I eat sugary stuff ---> I become a black hole.

cybertronik
03-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Not usually. I think that in general if someone is hungry on a bulk it means they should be eating that extra food because they're training merits it, or they are off kilt a bit like coming out of being very lean (i.e. prep...eat 10kcals and still be starving like a holocaust victim) or a woman.

My fiance is "bulking" right now and she's hungry all the time no matter what lol....not ravenous but if asked she would be up for chowing down.

For me -- not real hungry, I eat about 3600-4000 calories a day depending on the training day and most of it is "clean" like chicken and potato's or steak fajitas etc....not much pizza or sugary stuff.

Though if I eat sugary stuff ---> I become a black hole.

I aim for 2700 a day and try to stick to it. I could easily eat 4000 cal's a day and I would gain like a mother ****er, but it will be mainly fat. Rather take it slow. Water is my friend lol

matthew3881
03-17-2011, 12:01 AM

/disagree. bulking for me is still a caloric restriction. if i didnt care about my body i could eat 10k cals in a sitting and still have room for more. inb4 the ectos (cough undereaters cough) go "ZOMG HOW?!"

foodpr0n
03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
I don't get full. Or if I do it lasts about 15 mins.

cybertronik
03-17-2011, 12:30 AM
/disagree. bulking for me is still a caloric restriction. if i didnt care about my body i could eat 10k cals in a sitting and still have room for more. inb4 the ectos (cough undereaters cough) go "ZOMG HOW?!"

Lol. Agreed. I just love food. I hate these threads that say 'i struggle to eat 1800 calories'.

I'm like ' say whaaaat??'

Cumulonimbus
03-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Always hungry when bulking. Gotta agree with the bros above me, no clue how people complain they can't eat 2000 calories... I can do that in one sitting without a problem.

Trillios
03-17-2011, 07:11 AM
The more I eat the more I want to eat. Just me.

fitnessbyjay
03-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm eating 4500 calories on training days and I'm never really full, just satisfied.

ChromeGulf
03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I actually still get hungry even though I eat a lot. Sometimes though I'm not hungry. I focus on 5-6 meals a day. But I really do not wait exactly 3 hours and scarf down exactly 250 calories or anything like that. I just make sure that I'm getting at or around 2500 calories a day. I also prefer the 5-6 meals because it is hard to consume 700 calories for breakfast. My breakfast is usually about 300 calories while my lunch and dinner is usually about 800-1100 calories each.

adean1989
03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I've just put away 1290 calories on my PWO refeed (I'm on a cut) and I could double this value pretty easily... **** you Leptin.

MATT1993
03-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I guess as long as you're hitting your desired amount of calories and macro nutrient requirements, you'll be fine. Hunger shouldn't really be considered a sign of whether or not you're eating enough in terms of bodybuilding.

cocktapuss
03-17-2011, 11:38 AM
ofc. Its to do with calories in vs calories out. IF you (for example) need to eat 3000 cals a day, doesnt matter when you eat them that day, you will still gain the same. I actually do it over the week sometimes. I aim for 2700 a day, so if some days I eat 200 under for a few days, then I will eat 400 extra one day. Say if I want a pizza... I save up 1200 cals over the week then just blow out and have a pizza on the friday. But obv dont make a habit of eating **** on a bulk. :)

It all adds up.

so then that that means the same would apply to a cut, i could eat one or 2 small meals per day, and stick with that, if i find that to be easier, right ?

mannydawg
03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
If i don't count calories and go by hunger i'll hit my calories with one meal alone. lol I too hate it when people complain about not being able to eat their calories.

mannydawg
03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
so then that that means the same would apply to a cut, i could eat one or 2 small meals per day, and stick with that, if i find that to be easier, right ?

yes

Cumulonimbus
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM

If it makes life easier then by all means it is do it, there is no problem with that at all. You will hear a lot of bogus from people saying "eat blah blah blah at blah blah blah every blah blah blah" and to be honest those are the goofs who cannot back up what they are saying.

Just get your required macronutrient intake, and you're set. 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 meals, what ever it may be, just get it. Also, there is evidence showing that eating frequent meals such as 8 meals a day is actually worse for muscle protein synthesis. I'm not going to get my nerd on and I'll keep it basic. Eat when it's most convenient :)

Cumulonimbus
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM

I also disagree.

ErickStevens
03-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm hungry all the time unless I eat completely without moderation. If my calories are within 500 of my maintenance, I want to eat.

dustinh6719
03-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm never hungry, nor full. Could go all day without eating, or eat a days worth of calories in one sitting.