PDA

View Full Version : NFL Players Association officially decertifies.

ZidaneValor
03-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Pro Football Talk: Union applies for decertification (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/union-applies-for-decertification/)

Well, now things are about to get ugly.

The NFLPA announced they applied for decertification on Friday afternoon at 5 p.m. ET, following an ultimatum issued by NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith. The union asked the league around 4 p.m. ET that the league release ten years worth of audited financial statements.

The NFL didn’t call the union’s bluff, so the NFLPA will now move forward as “a trade association.”

Both sides seemed to expect to get to this point, yet it’s still jarring and depressing for NFL fans. An Antitrust lawsuit in Minnesota seems likely to follow.

There was significant progress at the negotiating table on Friday, but negotiations are basically going to end now. We’re headed to the courtrooms. Barf.

UPDATE: Here’s the statement from the organization formerly known as the NFLPA:

“The NFL Players Association announced today it has informed the NFL, NFL clubs and other necessary parties that it has renounced its status as the exclusive collective bargaining representative of the players of the National Football League.

The NFLPA will move forward as a professional trade association with the mission of supporting the interests and rights of current and former professional football players."

FAH_Q
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I am 100% on the side of the players. There is ZERO reason that the NFL should not be completely open with their finances. The fact that they have been so secretive is clearly a sign that they are hiding something. This stuff makes me fcking rage so hard.

Honestly I'd rather not even have a football season than the players give in. Maybe I am just being prideful, but this just seems like the Owners are completely in the wrong.

jmac219
03-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Damn... I'm gonna be pissed if my Sundays compose of raking leaves & doing things around the house.

samcanadian
03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
HAY GUYS, CFL IS STILL HAPPENING! lolololol

....Go Bombers!

ZidaneValor
03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
ESPN: Union files to decertify; deadline passes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6205936)

The NFL Players Association has filed papers to decertify, effectively disbanding the union and giving it the chance to sue under antitrust laws if there is a lockout.

The move follows a 16th day of federally mediated negotiations in which the union, presented with a proposal from the league's owners group late Friday afternoon as a 5 p.m. decertification deadline approached, rejected the offer as "significant differences continue to remain," union chief DeMaurice Smith said. Without decertification, the union would've had to wait six months to file a suit after the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement.

Smith had said 10 years of audited financial records must accompany any request from the owners for an extension before the deadline , which was allowed to pass.

"We told them that please let us know by 5 p.m. today," Smith said. "We're going to head back to the office, and I'm sure we'll have further comment later on."

The owners' group convened among themselves late Friday afternoon to discuss the next steps, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"They have financials. They just want to get to court," a management source told ESPN business analyst Andrew Brandt.

As the sides continued to negotiate in Washington, Smith told players during a conference call earlier in the day the plan was to decertify, a source told Schefter.

The league's collective bargaining agreement was set to expire at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees rejoined the talks Friday, also reiterating the union's desire for the NFL owners to open their books.

Brees was among a group of about 20 people, including Smith, who walked over from the union's nearby headquarters. Brees and Smith were flanked by several other current or former players.

"To our fans -- I give you my word that we as players are doing everything we can to negotiate with the NFL towards a fair deal," Brees tweeted before the start of Friday's meetings. "The NFL brought this fight to us -- they want $1 billion back, we just want financial information to back up that request."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and nine of the 10 members of the owners' labor committee, along with various league executives and lawyers, also arrived as talks resumed at 10 a.m. ET.

The NFL has said the union was offered unprecedented financial data, including some the league doesn't share with clubs. The league thought it was the first step in the beginning of financial transparency, but it was not transparent enough for the NFLPA.

"They refuse to give that information to us. They think we should just trust them. Would you?" tweeted Brees, who joined talks for the first time Wednesday. "We have a responsibility to our players -- past, present, and future, to advance this league forward, not take 3 steps back."

The CBA originally was supposed to expire last week. The sides agreed to push that deadline to Friday; if a deal isn't reached, there could be another extension.

tmc.
03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I am 100% on the side of the players. There is ZERO reason that the NFL should not be completely open with their finances. The fact that they have been so secretive is clearly a sign that they are hiding something. This stuff makes me fcking rage so hard.

Honestly I'd rather not even have a football season than the players give in. Maybe I am just being prideful, but this just seems like the Owners are completely in the wrong.

uhh here's a reason, the NFL is not a public company other than Green Bay

ZidaneValor
03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
LOL. Jeff Pash (NFL executive VP of labor and general counsel) is raging on ESPN right now.

CCAurora
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
LOL. Jeff Pash (NFL executive VP of labor and general counsel) is raging on ESPN right now.

LOL he's such a douchebag... why don't you address the ACTUAL issue, Jeffrey? Its about the money.

cor030
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Lockout = possibly no NFL season = draft order remains same = Panthers get two #1 overall picks in a row.

notevenmad.jpg

Good thing I'm a fan of other sports. Feel sorry for the folks who ONLY like NFL lol.

ZidaneValor
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro Football Talk: NFL statement regarding end of mediation (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/nfl-statement-regarding-end-of-mediation/)

[Editor's note: The NFL has issued a statement regarding the events of March 11. The entire text appears below.]

The fastest way to a fair agreement is for both the union and the clubs to continue the mediation process. Unfortunately, the players’ union has notified our office that at 4pm ET it had “decertified” and is walking away from mediation and collective bargaining, presumably to initiate the antitrust litigation it has been threatening to file. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, the clubs offered a deal that would have had no adverse financial impact upon veteran players in the early years and would meet the players’ financial demands in the latter years.

The union left a very good deal on the table. It included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; ensure no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

The union was offered financial disclosure of audited league and club profitability information that is not even shared with the NFL clubs.

The expanded health and safety rules would include a reduction in offseason programs of five weeks (from 14 to nine) and of OTAs (Organized Team Activities) from 14 to 10; significant reductions in the amount of contact in practices; and other changes.

At a time when thousands of employees are fighting for their collective bargaining rights, this union has chosen to abandon collective bargaining in favor of a sham “decertification” and antitrust litigation. This litigation maneuver is built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement.

The NFL clubs remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached. The NFL calls on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

ibldcubbyblue
03-11-2011, 02:41 PM
lol damn ***** is pissed

ibldcubbyblue
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Pro Football Talk: NFL statement regarding end of mediation (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/nfl-statement-regarding-end-of-mediation/)

so pretty much they're blaming it on the players association.

jaySWAG
03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
the owners didnt expect this to happen, its a sad say for us fans but maybe they'll get their heads out of their azzes and come to a agreement one day

BNR
03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
just more of a reason to look forward to college football

magicmatt
03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Lockout = possibly no NFL season = draft order remains same = Panthers get two #1 overall picks in a row.

notevenmad.jpg

Good thing I'm a fan of other sports. Feel sorry for the folks who ONLY like NFL lol.

pats get basically 6 first round picks in 2 years? i can deal

tmc.
03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
pats get basically 6 first round picks in 2 years? i can deal

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2283585.gif

BBar68
03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
this really f-ing sucks. let's just hope that both sides can come together by August.

magicmatt
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2283585.gif

yup, he's mad again

tmc.
03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
yup, he's mad again

draft ORDER

O-R-D-E-R

so if the Raiders pick is 15th overall then it will be the 15th overall next season as well

the Patriots would own the Raiders pick this season, not own the draft order

magicmatt
03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
draft ORDER

O-R-D-E-R

so if the Raiders pick is 15th overall then it will be the 15th overall next season as well

the Patriots would own the Raiders pick this season, not own the draft order

oh ****, my apologies. i was completely wrong. i promise it wont happen again.

Whundrbread
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
so no NFL and NBA season next year.... atleast we have soccer.....

magicmatt
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
so no NFL and NBA season next year.... atleast we have soccer.....

life would be better without the nba anyways.

ibldcubbyblue
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
UFC will take over. believe it

Whundrbread
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
life would be better without the nba anyways.

as a fellow Patriots fan, i must say why?

magicmatt
03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
as a fellow Patriots fan, i must say why?

college >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nba

except for the finals

PntySnfr
03-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Hopefully NASCAR moves the Daytona 500 back to its original date in 2012 now.

Whundrbread
03-11-2011, 03:27 PM
college >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nba

except for the finals

lol common everyone knows this, but i still wanna see my teams play

inb4tc
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM
This could kill the league. Sad.

PumpAndGrow
03-11-2011, 04:24 PM

lol. no.

just phaggotry from both sides. They will drag this out for a while then agree. too much money at stake.

ZidaneValor
03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

This is like the 6th time there's been a strike/lockout in the last 40 years. People will forget, especially if the season starts on time.

CCAurora
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
This is like the 6th time there's been a strike/lockout in the last 40 years. People will forget, especially if the season starts on time.

This. There's still 6 months before the regular season starts... and besides, the owners will cave before the court orders finance documentation, which should happen well before the fall.

the nfl isnt publically traded

you cant go into a private company, while getting hired, and ask to see their financials so you can decide what a fair pay is

They WILL have to disclose that information in court, which is why the NFLPA is taking them there. The only way for the owners' "we're losing money" stance to be permissible in court is for it to be accompanied by documented proof; otherwise, it is simple hearsay and the owners will get destroyed.

J411
03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
uhh here's a reason, the NFL is not a public company other than Green Bay

They don't have to give them the financial info. But the excuse the owners were using to ask for a better deal was that they were losing money. But the owners refused to prove they were losing money, and were basically asking the players to trust them on their claims without proof. There has got to be a reason they don't want to release this info, otherwise, they would have done so. My guess is that the owners were not losing money like they were claiming, and if that's the case, their argument for why they should keep more money doesn't make much sense.

If they had said "we are the owners and we want more money just because we are greedy", there wouldn't be this same demand to view the records.

Also, the owners also had a contract where the players received a certain percentage of the money made by the NFL. There is the chance that the owners were dishonest and had been ripping the players off for awhile, and if they opened the books, they could have been sued for past breaches of contract. I doubt this is the case, but who knows, might be possible.