PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff Exercises?

drewkawa
03-08-2011, 08:05 PM
So it has been one month since injury and it has been a very telling experience and I have learned a lot from those here and from around my local gym.

My range of motion has returned and my daily pain in anywhere from a 1-2 out of 10. Though I do not have a same strength as I did 30 days ago, the cardio and rehab exercises have served me well.

(Now here's the question...)

For the next 30 days I will concentrate on the following upper body parts using no overhead movements:

1. Back
2. Biceps
3. Triceps
4. Continued rehab of shoulder with band exercises, isometrics and stretching.

My question is, what exercises primarily incorporate the rotator cuff? Besides using pain as a signal, are there suggestions of what to, or what not to do for this new routine? (e.g. dead lifts, barbell rows, DB rows, etc...) The last thing I want to do is to waste the past 30 days of healing and rehab by doing a movement that stresses the injury by my knowing, or not.

Thanks everyone!

-Drew

grace_ou
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I like these exercises when I work rotator cuffs..

I do these in 2x10's
Barbell Cuban Press
L-Lateral Raise
Side Lying Dumbbell Abduction to 45
Low Pulley External Rotation

and this ..
* Exercise 1: Internal Rotation on a cable pulley machine (do both arms together at the same time) or with dumbbells (but again, cables are best)

Exercise 2: External Rotation on a cable pulley machine or with dumbbells

Exercise 3: Cuban Rotation

Exercise 4: Scapular Retraction
* Remember to really squeeze those shoulder blades

drewkawa
03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
I like these exercises when I work rotator cuffs..

I do these in 2x10's
Barbell Cuban Press
L-Lateral Raise
Side Lying Dumbbell Abduction to 45
Low Pulley External Rotation

and this .. edit{these are my rep ranges}

* Exercise 1: Internal Rotation on a cable pulley machine (do both arms together at the same time) or with dumbbells (but again, cables are best)

2-3 sets, 30-50 reps, 10-15 pounds (20-25 reps and 5-10 pounds for dumbbells)

Exercise 2: External Rotation on a cable pulley machine or with dumbbells

2-3 sets, 30-50 reps, 10-15 pounds (20-25 reps and 5-10 pounds for dumbbells)

Exercise 3: Cuban Rotation

2-3 sets, 10-12 reps, start off somewhere between a 15 pound to 40 pound bar and go from there

Exercise 4: Scapular Retraction

2-3 sets, 10-15 reps, try dumbbells anywhere between 5-20 pounds and go up from there. Remember to really squeeze those shoulder blades

Grace,

Thank you so much for the exercises. I've always wondered what the heck I tell people when they look at me like I'm a chicken trying to fly away.

However, I am familiar with some of those "rotation" based exercises as I use them as my rehab program. I am wondering though about more "standard" exercises that we usually do
when not injured (e.g. dead lifts, barbell rows, DB rows, etc...)

Do those stress the rotator in anyway and should I stray away from those types of movements?

Mahalo,

-Drew

P.S. Thanks to your reply I edited my original for clarity!

peacesells
03-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Of the big lifts I'd say oh presses and bench press if you elbows are sticking out. The closer you hd them to your body the less impact they have on you rc.

When I had problems those were the culprits.

Karl_Hungus
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Most upper body compound movements will stress the RC to some degree. The cause of your RC injury should really be what dictates how you proceed. For example, if it was caused by shoulder instability resulting from a push/pull strength imbalance (which, for many trainees is an issue), then you should bias your training in favor of pulling exercises and do lots of external rotator exercises. But again, it really depends on what was injured and the cause.

Aside from that, the best general advice is to go light, and see how your shoulder feels. If it hurts, don't do it.

mslman71
03-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Most upper body compound movements will stress the RC to some degree. The cause of your RC injury should really be what dictates how you proceed. For example, if it was caused by shoulder instability resulting from a push/pull strength imbalance (which, for many trainees is an issue), then you should bias your training in favor of pulling exercises and do lots of external rotator exercises. But again, it really depends on what was injured and the cause.

Aside from that, the best general advice is to go light, and see how your shoulder feels. If it hurts, don't do it.

^ Great advice, especially w.r.t. balancing push & pull. There is a sticky in the Exercise->Injury forum on RC health and strengthening, and a number of posts there that go into great detail on shoulder rehab & exercises w/ personal accounts of them.

ironwill2008
03-09-2011, 07:00 AM
My question is, what exercises primarily incorporate the rotator cuff?

A very detailed, in-depth thread concerning shoulder/RC :

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968