PDA

View Full Version : smoking and weight loss???

Temperature
03-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Guys, does smoking hinder your weight loss to an extent that you should consider giving up?

I smoke 5-6 cigs a day at the moment. Recently started weight loss program to get to my target weight of 190lbs from 286lbs (now).

Bohdizzle
03-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Probably not, but at the same time.. quit anyway :D.

seaves88
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
They are appetite suppressants. You should give them up because they are bad for your health. Also, it will be very hard to lose weight when you first stop because you will want to eat all the time. Don't let that stop you. If you push yourself to the end you wont regret it.

wadza
03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I've stopped smoking forever a few weeks ago, and I read something interesting recently.

Basically, while the smoking won't necessarily have an effect on fat loss per se... cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide, which attaches itself to red blood cells and prevents them from carrying oxygen. This in turn reduces the amount of oxygen your muscles receive when you're working out, potentially causing them to fatigue faster, reducing the intensity and time you can spend lifting (which is essential to spare muscle while cutting).

While I'm not sure how great the effect is, it's another reason amongst many to stop smoking :)

RevengeFantasy
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
When I smoked, I found that it definitely hindered weight loss. That's the main reason I quit.

Nutshell20
03-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Not sure anything proves they hinder weight loss but will increase your chances of getting cancer. I quit over a year ago, just not worth it.

sharpieblet
03-08-2011, 06:47 AM
my uncle once quit smoking a few years back and joined a tae kwan do studio, and started eating extremely healthy as well. he got RIPPED in a relatively short time. working out and training kept him from going back to the cigs, but when he stopped going he eventually went back...his willpower wasn't quite strong enough i guess-but my point is that if you decide to quit (which you SHOULD!!!), use exercise to aid you in fighting the urges. exercise helps in about as many mental ways as physical.