PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Plateau in Diet...

wrcrex
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Hey Guys,

I need some guidance with a diet. I recently decided to start one after a year of bulking which entailed 3x a week sessions of 10x10 training & P90x workouts. I bulked up to 260 lbs morning weight. The bulk was a bit sloppy but I gained a great deal of muscle. I decided it was time to cut since Spring is just about here. I cut from about 3500-4000 calories a day to 2000. The first two weeks I dropped straight down to 247. In the past week however, I have plateaued and seem to be maintaining even though I'm not going above 2000. Two years ago before I started lifting, I did a 1700 cal a day cut which took me from 265 to 215 in 5 months. I'm not seeing how I'm not dropping the weight. I eat a fairly well macro balanced diet but nothing extremely lean (yet) because I'm trying to acclimate myself to the calorie cut before switching to a high protein/low carb style diet. Here is my diet...comes out to 2000 cals every day. I never go over. Can anyone tell me why this worked for two weeks and now isnt working at all? I weigh enough to where I should be dropping with this kind of intake and my activity level of 3 training sessions per week. I dont feel like im starving whatsoever. Thank you!

8am - croissant - egg sandwich @ 560 cals (homemade, no butter, one thin slice sharp cheddar)

9am - cheese stick @ 80 cals

10am - cheese stick @ 80 cals

11am - one can V8 @ 70 cals

12noon - cheese stick @ 80 cals

1pm - cheese stick @ 80 cals

2pm - lunch (usually wendys chili + smallest fry they have @ 560 cals (no extras/cheese/etc)

3pm - one can V8 @ 70 cals

5pm - lean meat (chicken/turkey/98% fat free beef) + green veggie (I portion to hit approx 2000 cals total for day.

No extra snacks/calories rest of night.

LazyLarry
03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
i was eating 2500 cals at 245 so you should be losing weight

the first two weeks of weight you lost was a lot of water weight, weigh yourself in a couple weeks and see if you are still having the problem

and personally I would spread my meals a little more far apart

sesq
03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Gather more data. One week is just noise. If you aren't dropping after a month re-evaluate your plan.

ejthomp
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
..... I eat a fairly well macro balanced diet ......

4 cheese sticks, 2 cans of V8 book ended with Wendy's croissant, chili and fries?

How do the macros come out on that?

If this is your "diet" what the heck was your "bit sloppy" bulk like?

You really don't see a problem here?

wrcrex
03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
4 cheese sticks, 2 cans of V8 book ended with Wendy's croissant, chili and fries?

How do the macros come out on that?

If this is your "diet" what the heck was your "bit sloppy" bulk like?

You really don't see a problem here?

at 6,0 247 lbs I should be able to eat 2000 calories of whatever I want and lose weight when I'm doing hour long circuits 3x a week...shouldnt I? If you look at what I said I will be heading toward a keto diet but I dont want to shock my system because I've gone from 4000 cals a day down to 2000. I will update with the macros on my current diet.

wrcrex
03-04-2011, 09:21 AM
MACRO:

croissant 6 fat , 13 carb, 2 protein
egg 5 fat, 0 carb, 6 protein
cheese 6 fat, 0 carb, 5 protein

v8 0 fat, 14 carb, 3 protein

Chzsticks fat 6, carb 0, protein 7g

chicken breast (large) - fat 1.5, carb 0.0, protein 31.6g

fries fat 11, carb 29, protein 3
chili fat 10, carb 32, protein 28

totals:

Fat: 68.5
Carb: 102.0
Protein: 115.6

topper1
03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Come on man fries on a diet? you must be kidding FAIL.

Since the scale isn't moving for you workout more or fix that awful diet.

Locavore
03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
You're probably still losing, but the initial water weight is throwing things off for you. You didn't lose 13 lbs. of fat in the first two weeks. All the sodium you're eating now isn't helping things either, in terms of showing a "true" weight. I'm guessing your water balance is all over the place.

On a separate note, your protein level is way too low. That's too low for me, and I'm female and probably have 50 lbs. less muscle than you do. Read the stickies, but you likely need to be in the 200g range, which will, of course, affect the rest of what you eat. Try eating some fiber too, just for kicks. You'll lose weight on that diet, but you're not going to be healthy.

mhess92
03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
MACRO:

croissant 6 fat , 13 carb, 2 protein
cheese 6 fat, 0 carb, 5 protein

chicken breast (large) - fat 1.5, carb 0.0, protein 31.6g

fries fat 11, carb 29, protein 3
chili fat 10, carb 32, protein 28

totals:

Fat: 68.5
Carb: 102.0
Protein: 115.6

Too many carbs not enough Protein and Fat....... and your math has to be off because those macros converted to calories = 1486.9 so Unless you are eating 500 calories of air your not counting something...... that being said you need at least 1g of protein per lb of Lean Body Mass and at least .45g of fat per lb of LBM. I thought eating whatever I want (as long as it fits in my calories) would still make me lose weight...... it doesn't work I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein and look at my weight through out February...... only lost a 1lb.

So get your diet in check and see if that helps. and like someone else said try and eat less sodium.

Ryanast
03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
The sustained low calorie diet that you're not used to has most likely elevated your cortisol level dramatically and has thus caused you to retain more and more water weight as time goes on. Lowing sodium will help reduce the water you hold yes, but rest assured, if your calories are low and in check at a deficit, you're still losing fat.

Go here to learn more:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part_28.html

wrcrex
03-04-2011, 12:25 PM
The sustained low calorie diet that you're not used to has most likely elevated your cortisol level dramatically and has thus caused you to retain more and more water weight as time goes on. Lowing sodium will help reduce the water you hold yes, but rest assured, if your calories are low and in check at a deficit, you're still losing fat.

Go here to learn more:

url]

Thank you all for the input. I am going to move to a zero fried food / higher protein / lower sodium diet immediately. I always thought it was cals in vs cals out no matter what (within reason).

th3pwn3r
03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Thank you all for the input. I am going to move to a zero fried food / higher protein / lower sodium diet immediately. I always thought it was cals in vs cals out no matter what (within reason).

It pretty much is but the end result will differ depending on your macros.