PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition for Shoulder Injury?

angryguywalking
03-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Hey all, I injured my shoulder yesterday, feelsfkinbadman right when I'm supposed to be making the best gains of my life :(

Anyways, I'm thinking of taking a week off to assess my situation. I'm currently bulking, and I've got a couple questions about what I should do.

1: I'm at 2800 cals/day, 315c/175p/93f, this is about 400 cals over maintenance. Now, should I eat at maintenance until I'm good to get back in the gym? What macros will I be looking at here?

2: Also, I'm debating on whether I should take this week off or not, I'm scared of losing gains lol, but I will if I have to. Any opinions?

3: After the week off, should I go see a doctor? And are there any goof workout programs for people with injured shoulders?

I'm just glad I didn't tear any muscles or break anything, but there's a lot of pain when I move it or twist it. Putting on shirts and deodorant is a huge biitch. At least I'm a lefty, lol.
Anyways, thanks in advance for any input anyone can give me, it's appreciated.

adamg8504
03-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey all, I injured my shoulder yesterday, feelsfkinbadman right when I'm supposed to be making the best gains of my life :(

Anyways, I'm thinking of taking a week off to assess my situation. I'm currently bulking, and I've got a couple questions about what I should do.

1: I'm at 2800 cals/day, 315c/175p/93f, this is about 400 cals over maintenance. Now, should I eat at maintenance until I'm good to get back in the gym? What macros will I be looking at here?

2: Also, I'm debating on whether I should take this week off or not, I'm scared of losing gains lol, but I will if I have to. Any opinions?

3: After the week off, should I go see a doctor? And are there any goof workout programs for people with injured shoulders?

I'm just glad I didn't tear any muscles or break anything, but there's a lot of pain when I move it or twist it. Putting on shirts and deodorant is a huge biitch. At least I'm a lefty, lol.
Anyways, thanks in advance for any input anyone can give me, it's appreciated.

It depends what you did to your shoulder. Shoulder injuries are nothing to take lightly. They can linger with you for the rest of your life if you aren't carefully and take the proper steps to recovery.

I would stop all lifting that involves your arms. You can still work out your legs and get some cardio in.

If the pain doesn't subside in 2-3 days I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor.

I am trying to get over a shoulder injury myself. It isn't fun. I know it's hard to not lift right now but that really is the best thing for it.

As for your diet you can adjust as necessary, if you are still working out your legs and doing cardio then there really isn't any reason to reduce calories to drastically. You could eat at maintenance the days you don't lift, and a surplus on workout days. Just a suggestion.

angryguywalking
03-04-2011, 04:27 AM
It depends what you did to your shoulder. Shoulder injuries are nothing to take lightly. They can linger with you for the rest of your life if you aren't carefully and take the proper steps to recovery.

I would stop all lifting that involves your arms. You can still work out your legs and get some cardio in.

If the pain doesn't subside in 2-3 days I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor.

I am trying to get over a shoulder injury myself. It isn't fun. I know it's hard to not lift right now but that really is the best thing for it.

As for your diet you can adjust as necessary, if you are still working out your legs and doing cardio then there really isn't any reason to reduce calories to drastically. You could eat at maintenance the days you don't lift, and a surplus on workout days. Just a suggestion.

Well I was doing incline chest press and I locked out my arms and I think the joint got loosened or something, It's hard to explain.

I'm looking at new macros of 2400 cals, 240c/180p/80f on non workout days. Does that look ok to you?

I guess I'll just work legs 2x a week with some LISS here and there, normal calories on those days right?

Thanks dude

adamg8504
03-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Well I was doing incline chest press and I locked out my arms and I think the joint got loosened or something, It's hard to explain.

I'm looking at new macros of 2400 cals, 240c/180p/80f on non workout days. Does that look ok to you?

I guess I'll just work legs 2x a week with some LISS here and there, normal calories on those days right?

Thanks dude

Sounds about right. Just take it easy on your shoulder for the next couple of weeks. Then introduce some streching and possibly some rotator cuff exercises in.

Like I said, if the pain is still there after you rest it for a week or two, then see a doctor. You don't want something small turn into something that will be with you for a long time.

angryguywalking
03-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Sounds about right. Just take it easy on your shoulder for the next couple of weeks. Then introduce some streching and possibly some rotator cuff exercises in.

Like I said, if the pain is still there after you rest it for a week or two, then see a doctor. You don't want something small turn into something that will be with you for a long time.

Alright, will do. Thanks a lot for your help

Christiffer
03-04-2011, 04:37 AM
I have a shoulder problem also. Have been doing legs and abs. Just eat at maintenance. My weight has stayed the same the past 2.5 months. Although I look a little flatter and softer idt I lost too much.

angryguywalking
03-04-2011, 04:48 AM
I have a shoulder problem also. Have been doing legs and abs. Just eat at maintenance. My weight has stayed the same the past 2.5 months. Although I look a little flatter and softer idt I lost too much.

Oh alright, any specific macros I should use? Higher protein, lower carb?

Do you still do cardio? I wasn't doing any on my bulk.

snorkelman
03-04-2011, 05:38 AM

I would modify that ^^ advice to the extent that you should avoid back squats since you would have to lift your arm up to hold the bar and that is likely to put strain on the injured shoulder.

angryguywalking
03-04-2011, 06:17 AM
I would modify that ^^ advice to the extent that you should avoid back squats since you would have to lift your arm up to hold the bar and that is likely to put strain on the injured shoulder.

Oh alright, what about the squat machine? Still ok?

snorkelman
03-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Oh alright, what about the squat machine? Still ok?

I'm just giving personal experience here. After my shoulder surgery (RC) I simply did not have pain-free ROM to reach back, even in the Smith Machine. I opted for front squats instead and other exercises such as leg press.

Bottom line, I would suggest that you make sure that you do what you can to see if this is just a minor injury that the body can heal itself. I'd take 2 weeks off all upper body work, I would ice the shoulder (to address inflamation) and I would take aleve (2 blue pills in the morning and 2 more at night for those two weeks). That should allow you to be in a position to see whether this was just a small issue. When you go back to the gym, I would certainly start doing light weight and incorporating in rotator cuff exercises (most people completely ignore these) and also stretching. If none of that works, then you better head off to an ortho and get an Xray and possibly an MRI.

SideSteal
03-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Not to thread hijack but since it's still on topic and may help the OP anyways:

Does anyone have any preferred resource for rotator cuff exercises?
<--- unaware.

angryguywalking
03-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm just giving personal experience here. After my shoulder surgery (RC) I simply did not have pain-free ROM to reach back, even in the Smith Machine. I opted for front squats instead and other exercises such as leg press.

Bottom line, I would suggest that you make sure that you do what you can to see if this is just a minor injury that the body can heal itself. I'd take 2 weeks off all upper body work, I would ice the shoulder (to address inflamation) and I would take aleve (2 blue pills in the morning and 2 more at night for those two weeks). That should allow you to be in a position to see whether this was just a small issue. When you go back to the gym, I would certainly start doing light weight and incorporating in rotator cuff exercises (most people completely ignore these) and also stretching. If none of that works, then you better head off to an ortho and get an Xray and possibly an MRI.

This is a huge help, thanks

FullTime
03-04-2011, 06:36 AM

All of this. I ruined my shoulder a few years ago and never took the steps to fix it so i feel like i need to step in here and make sure you dont do what i did. Not allowing my shoulder to heal was the biggest mistake Ive ever made and let me tell you that if you dont it will haunt you forever.

Personally I would take off as much time as you need to allow for proper recovery. And like Snorkelman said go easy with squats because if the bar is sitting on you shoulders wrong youll be in trouble.

Good Luck man

Christiffer
03-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Not to thread hijack but since it's still on topic and may help the OP anyways:

Does anyone have any preferred resource for rotator cuff exercises?
<--- unaware.

In pt I've been using resistance bands doing internal and external extensions,
Front raises and rear delt pulls. Also we always start with rows using a resistance band. last two weeks we started incorporating pushups, light lat pulldowns and rows, and light rear delt raises. For some reason we haven't done any side lateral raises. Ice ice ice.

Christiffer
03-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Great advice, but I've been doing back squats? Maybe i shouldve avoided that but there's no real pain?

snorkelman
03-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Internal shoulder rotation (note the towel placement to ensure elbow does not move away from body) -
http://i56.tinypic.com/voos5u.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2my8zyd.jpg

External shoulder rotation -
http://i51.tinypic.com/2yynubc.jpg
(note the lack of a towel resulted in elbow not close enough to the body) http://i54.tinypic.com/2chmlv7.jpg

I also do this exercise (but with a small ball such as 2 pound medicine ball or child's play ball) and do 20 up-and-down motions, 20 side-to-side motions, 20 rotations one direction, and 20 rotations the other direction.
http://i56.tinypic.com/j12dyr.jpg

Christiffer
03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Internal shoulder rotation (note the towel placement to ensure elbow does not move away from body) -
http://i56.tinypic.com/voos5u.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2my8zyd.jpg

External shoulder rotation -
http://i51.tinypic.com/2yynubc.jpg
(note the lack of a towel resulted in elbow not close enough to the body) http://i54.tinypic.com/2chmlv7.jpg

I also do this exercise (but with a small ball such as 2 pound medicine ball or child's play ball) and do 20 up-and-down motions, 20 side-to-side motions, 20 rotations one direction, and 20 rotations the other direction.
http://i56.tinypic.com/j12dyr.jpg
Yea, I meant rotation not extension. When u started back on your routine, when did u incorporate these? I was thinking on chest and
Shoulder days, but they had me doing the int. And ext. rotations every day. Should I just do them every day I work upper body. Not tryin to hijack this thread but I'm startin light on my routine next week and wanna make sure I do everything right. Thanks.

Skimartist35
03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I just had surgery to repair a collarbone break....since i cant really do anything right now I'm just trying to stay a little under maintenance and keep my protein high, while focusing mentally on my training program as soon as I am able to resume training.

ppd001
03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
you dislocated it. it happens due to massive forces pressing into your shoulder, you must have been lifting very heavy without a spotter. it takes 6 weeks at most to recover form it.
the bad thing is your shoulder ligaments will never be as strong as before..
since protein makes almost every single part of your body,, eat like a bodybuilder as recommended.. and refrain from lifting heavy for now and i recommend go see a physical therapist.

snorkelman
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
When u started back on your routine, when did u incorporate these? I was thinking on chest and
Shoulder days, but they had me doing the int. And ext. rotations every day. Should I just do them every day I work upper body. Not tryin to hijack this thread but I'm startin light on my routine next week and wanna make sure I do everything right. Thanks.

It depends on your specific status. If you have any type of tear, then you don't want to be doing any resistance/strengthening work at all until it is repaired (surgery). For several months before my surgery (cleaning out bursis and shaving bone) I followed the advice of my ortho and Pt in an attempt to avoid surgery. Initially there were steps to reduce pain/inflamation (cortisone shot, ice, aleve) and that is important even if it doesn't hurt because there can still be inflamation. Then after a couple weeks, light weight and stretching and ROM stuff. They explained to me that since I NEVER used to do any RC exercises, some of those muscles (such as supraspinatus) were underdeveloped and they were small muscles so they didn't require much weight/resistance to give them a good workout. As you can imagine, when you have a muscle that is underdeveloped, it can take a while to get it developed. Yes, my PT had me doing my RC exercises every day, especially the ROM stretching stuff. Even now, 8 months post-surgery, I dedicate a portion of the beginning of each of my workouts to doing my RC exercises, even on leg day. Granted, on leg day I focus more on the ball on the wall and other ROM exercises rather than the resistance stuff.

As you may be able to tell from the comments in this thread, many people have shoulder injuries and they all don't require surgery, but ignoring them and continuing to lift weight is not wise.

Christiffer
03-04-2011, 09:38 AM
It depends on your specific status. If you have any type of tear, then you don't want to be doing any resistance/strengthening work at all until it is repaired (surgery). For several months before my surgery (cleaning out bursis and shaving bone) I followed the advice of my ortho and Pt in an attempt to avoid surgery. Initially there were steps to reduce pain/inflamation (cortisone shot, ice, aleve) and that is important even if it doesn't hurt because there can still be inflamation. Then after a couple weeks, light weight and stretching and ROM stuff. They explained to me that since I NEVER used to do any RC exercises, some of those muscles (such as supraspinatus) were underdeveloped and they were small muscles so they didn't require much weight/resistance to give them a good workout. As you can imagine, when you have a muscle that is underdeveloped, it can take a while to get it developed. Yes, my PT had me doing my RC exercises every day, especially the ROM stretching stuff. Even now, 8 months post-surgery, I dedicate a portion of the beginning of each of my workouts to doing my RC exercises, even on leg day. Granted, on leg day I focus more on the ball on the wall and other ROM exercises rather than the resistance stuff.

As you may be able to tell from the comments in this thread, many people have shoulder injuries and they all don't require surgery, but ignoring them and continuing to lift weight is not wise.

Well I haven't done upper body in almost 3months. My pt told me to stArt back light on my routine this upcoming week focusing on form. I forgot to ask if they still wanted me to do these everyday. They wrote it down as an impingement in the shoulder and tennis elbow (tendonitis) in the elbow, but my pt doesn't think it's an impingement because my ROM is very good. So I'm really not sure and I don't think they are completely sure either. The pain is almost completely gone though even after doing the pushups and other excercises they incorporated. I'll just do them and ask next week. Is the last exercise you gave a pic of supposed to be against the wall?

snorkelman
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Is the last exercise you gave a pic of supposed to be against the wall?

No, you need to put some duct tape on your hand and kind of levitate the ball...

just kidding, yes the ball is against a wall :)

Christiffer
03-04-2011, 10:29 AM
No, you need to put some duct tape on your hand and kind of levitate the ball...

just kidding, yes the ball is against a wall :)

Lmao, shouldve specified as I've had one too many doobs today.;)

ShortDave
03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Go get active release, fix the problem before you make it worse.