PDA

View Full Version : How much carbs to take when trying to get lean?

zeeeeeeeeee
02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi all. When trying to get lean, I have read that protein should remain same i.e 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight, I'm not sure about carbs tho. I saw 0.5g per pound of bodyweight. Is this the correct amount? Also, what is the correct amount of fats? Thanks

ven33
02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi all. When trying to get lean, I have read that protein should remain same i.e 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight, I'm not sure about carbs tho. I saw 0.5g per pound of bodyweight. Is this the correct amount? Also, what is the correct amount of fats? Thanks

You goal should be to hit your protein and fat macros first. The remaining calories should go towards carbs.

zeeeeeeeeee
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
You goal should be to hit your protein and fat macros first. The remaining calories should go towards carbs.
I'm going by grams because it makes it easier for me to calculate in terms of what to eat. I have read that protein should be 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, what about carbs and fats? How many g per lb of bodyweight? I cant seem to find it. I've googled.

angryguywalking
02-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm going by grams because it makes it easier for me to calculate in terms of what to eat. I have read that protein should be 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, what about carbs and fats? How many g per lb of bodyweight? I cant seem to find it. I've googled.

fats=0.5g/bw or >

Carbs= Whatever is left

saw7988
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
It doesn't matter whether you go by grams or calories, they are interchangeable. You don't "need" a certain amount of fats or carbs. However, many would recommend a minimum of 0.35g/lb for fat though for reasons such as hormones, health, and EFAs. And there's generally no recommended carb minimum, but it's a good idea to get a decent amount to maintain high intensity training.

sunngodd
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
You don't "need" a certain amount of fats

EFA's

saw7988
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
EFA's

I did mention EFAs, but the requirement for these is very small compared to what is recommended for general fat intake. So yes, I was wrong to say that you don't "need" a certain amount, but getting your EFAs shouldn't be a concern if you have a decent amount of fat.