PDA

View Full Version : Does IF beats everything?

BOB55555
02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Of course I've read the sticky from Alan Aragon and countless messages on the forum saying that meal timing isn't very relevant. But when I read about IF or go to leangains.com I get the impression that IF is a superior alternative and that's why some people are leaning towards it.

I know macros are more important and that's OK.

But, assuming macros will be fulfilled anyway, what the research has to say about IF x 6 meals a day or whatever? What about IF x many meals a day for people who specifically want low BF (which seems to be IF strong point from what I've read).

Not trying to start a flame war here. I just want to learn more and maybe decide on the superior diet, if there is one.

Thanks for any help.

AlwaysTryin
02-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Of course I've read the sticky from Alan Aragon and countless messages on the forum saying that meal timing isn't very relevant. But when I read about IF or go to leangains.com I get the impression that IF is a superior alternative and that's why some people are leaning towards it.

But, assuming macros will be fulfilled anyway, what the research has to say about IF x 6 meals a day or whatever? What about IF x many meals a day for people who specifically want low BF (which seems to be IF strong point from what I've read).

Not trying to start a flame war here. I just want to learn more and maybe decide on the superior diet, if there is one.

Thanks for any help.

No diet is "superior".

It's all about finding one that suits you and your lifestyle, end of story

JDkeystone
02-13-2011, 04:03 PM
As long as you're fulfilling your calorie and macro needs, how you reach them (whether it's IF or several smaller meals a day) is just a matter of preference and convenience. IF didn't work for me cuz of my schedule and hunger patterns, but for some people it's the best dieting method that gave the most effective results. Play around with different dieting techniques, and just go with whatever works best for you.

Joseph1990
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
IF is the bee's knees bro.

DREhova 87
02-13-2011, 04:12 PM
The question is...is it optimal? I've seen people have great results on IF...didn't work for me...but shouldnt mean it shouldnt work for you. For me working out with food in my system gives me more focus and energy. Same thing with my cardio. There are some that swear by it...but for me...I want what I do to be optimal anabolism. Might be ok for fat loss, but not maximizing muscle IMO

BOB55555
02-13-2011, 04:27 PM
For questioning pruposes, I'm assuming I (and many others) can commit to any diet, as long as is the optimal one. Is there any research favoring one or the other for either cutting or bulking? And how about carb cycling for cutting? Does it beat IF (or can it work with IF)?

What I actually want to know is if the research currently points out to any alternative as been the best, even if not by much? If research is not available, knowing what members who tried different diets experienced can be very interesting too.

I'm currently going on several meals a day. It's a little boring and takes some time, but I'm a little afraid of changing what's helping me. I would if I had more evidence favoring alternatives though.

Sith Emperor
02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I believe IF is ideal for binge eaters(like me) who go well over their allowe daily intake when they're forced to eat multiple meals throughout the day. With a 6-8 hour window, I often find myself too stuffed to meet my daily required intake.

adean1989
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I believe IF is ideal for binge eaters(like me) who go well over their allowe daily intake when they're forced to eat multiple meals throughout the day. With a 6-8 hour window, I often find myself too stuffed to meet my daily required intake.

It's my first day of IF, and this seems to be the feeling I'm getting. It's the persistent hunger throughout the day that kills me when cutting. With IF I'd rather genuinely be hungry for a couple of hours and then for the remainder be stuffed out of my face. It's really an awesome feeling.

Sith Emperor
02-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Amen to that. If you can get by initial cravings, you're golden.

docchio
02-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Love those catecholamines

Joseph1990
02-13-2011, 05:17 PM

This is why I do IF. I made my window smaller recently (2-4hours) and it is even better.

coals
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
It beats everything for me.

Thats just what my body is most comfortable with. That doesnt mean it beats everything for you.

And x2 Most of my fasts are in the 20hour range , not quit warrior diet style but close in terms of fasting/feeding windows.
But it's variable, adjust your diet to be convenient for your lifestyle... not the other way around.

Own3r
02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
IF is real easy to follow if you are the right type of person for it, I can do it in a blink of an eye, yet Ive seen many of my clients fail and fall in to the flames with it, I have recently stopped proposing it as it seems to trigger some obsessive behavior patterns in a number of followers.

JDkeystone
02-13-2011, 05:48 PM

It might work for some binge eaters, but not all. I also struggle with binge eating tendencies (though I've gotten it under much better control over the years), but my brief trial run at IF was terrible for my binge struggles cuz by the time my feeding window came, I would be SO hungry, my one "big meal" ended up never being enough to make me feel full; just "satisfied" (and when you're that hungry, no way in hell that's gonna be enough to hold you off til the next day). I ended up going over my calories almost each and every time because of this, til I finally just said fcuk it, and went back to my old eating schedule of 4-5 smaller meals a day. Again, it ultimately comes down to personal preference, nothing more. There is no magic diet that will trump hitting your macros and cals in < cals out.

BOB55555
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks, guys.

Going on a little tangent here, since nutrient timing isn't very important, is this true even for the PWO meal? What if I just got to bed after working out? Will I get good results anyway since I ate my macros and cals during the day?

Also, at the leangains website I flound something about the catecholamines improvong concentration if you fast in the morning. Is it supported by research or members' experiences? I could use more concentration at work, especially in the morning.

evilone777
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanks for any help.
im cutting right now and i like 1 big meal a day personally just do whatever works for you

Acevedo85
02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
IF is real easy to follow if you are the right type of person for it, I can do it in a blink of an eye, yet Ive seen many of my clients fail and fall in to the flames with it, I have recently stopped proposing it as it seems to trigger some obsessive behavior patterns in a number of followers.

what kind of patterns?

ErickStevens
02-13-2011, 06:27 PM
IF is the perfect dieting methodology for my lifestyle. That's all I'll say about it.

CantBeBeat05
02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
IF is the perfect dieting methodology for my lifestyle. That's all I'll say about it.

Cool story BRO!

Flyin Ryan
02-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Cool story BRO!

It was, actually.

IF is best for my lifestyle as well.
It's not a "magic diet" as some people will claim it to be, but, it can be very effective if utilized correctly with a decent diet and proper training.

Own3r
02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
what kind of patterns?

Some people develop and obsessive behavior with foods as in thinking about food all day long. Now this does not happen to everyone, it did not happen to me and I always loved IF until it went against my current bodybuilding goals, but a couple of my clients told me that they were experiencing anxiety in relationship to food or thoughts about food which was splitting their day in to : waiting to eat and eating.

JohnBrowne
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
It's the current fad like anything else...

CantBeBeat05
02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
It was, actually.

IF is best for my lifestyle as well.
It's not a "magic diet" as some people will claim it to be, but, it can be very effective if utilized correctly with a decent diet and proper training.

I don't know man, binging without getting fat, maybe a little magic? Oh wait I forgot it's not binging because it fits your macros... my mistake