PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating enough food?

eRickety
02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi guys, a little background:

I'm 19 years old, 5' 10", probably about 170 but I tend to stay away from the scale. I've always had a hard time losing weight, not for lack of will power but my body simply retains fat and gains it quickly. I am getting checked for a hormone imbalance in a month for this, as I have done some extreme diets before (<500 calories, or no fats, etc.) and the negative consequences on my body have been pretty obvious.

Now I'm just trying to eat well-balanced. For a few weeks I was just lifting weights a few times a week with cardio mixed in on my off days, but my friend has recently gotten me into the Insanity workouts, and I really like them so I'm going to sustain that for however long I can. For anyone who's not familiar with Insanity, it's mostly cardio driven, with pushups and lots of stretching also involved.

I'm in college, so my food options aren't the most diverse, but in general, here's how I eat:

Breakfast (8:30): 1 piece whole wheat w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch (Noon): ~6 oz of grilled chicken, greens salad with dressing

Snack (~2:00): 1 ProteinPlus PowerBar (300 cals, 37g carbs, 23g protein, 6g fat)

Workout

Dinner (5:30): Same as lunch but with a small bowl of pasta and sometimes an 8 oz
glass of milk

Snack (9:00): Protein shake (26g)

Altogether it comes out to about 1600 calories and 110g of protein. Is there anything glaring out that's wrong with this?

Thanks a lot guys

man0war
02-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Yeah there are a couple things wrong with it :)

Firstly I would suggest to increase your calories a little more, regardless of how you felt you've put on and lost fat in the past. At least 1700-1800. You would still surely be in a calorie deficit if you workout regularly, and a good one at that.

Secondly try to get your protein intake much higher. If you're trying to lose fat I would suggest something somewhere close to 190-200g and if you up your calories as I suggested that shouldn't be too hard to achieve. Also protein bars are second-grade snacks that contain too much sugar. Also a solid breakfast has always done me well when I was cutting - so try to have it with at least 30 grams of protein.

Otherwise your food options are decent. Good luck !

Revolutionize
02-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah there are a couple things wrong with it :)

Firstly I would suggest to increase your calories a little more, regardless of how you felt you've put on and lost fat in the past. At least 1700-1800. You would still surely be in a calorie deficit if you workout regularly, and a good one at that.

Secondly try to get your protein intake much higher. If you're trying to lose fat I would suggest something somewhere close to 190-200g and if you up your calories as I suggested that shouldn't be too hard to achieve. Also protein bars are second-grade snacks that contain too much sugar. Also a solid breakfast has always done me well when I was cutting - so try to have it with at least 30 grams of protein.

Otherwise your food options are decent. Good luck !

Good advice.