PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers sign Josh Hamilton / 2 years $24 million

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Very nice signing.

Rangers offseason is now complete, now we can move on to starting the season and winning the World Series.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Rangers have agreed with outfielder Josh Hamilton to a two-year contract through 2012, encompassing both of his remaining arbitration years.

Hamilton is coming off an AL MVP season in which he hit 32 homers and had 100 RBIs to go along with a .359 batting average. A few weeks ago, the club and Hamilton exchanged figures and were $3.3 million apart. But after more discussions, they were able to bridge the gap before a hearing scheduled for Tuesday.

Luno7
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
why such a short deal? am i missing something?

GetBigyo
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
From the looks of this deal Hamilton has by far the worst agent in baseball.

KingCanuck
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
lol @ giving a two year contract to an alcholic

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
why such a short deal? am i missing something?

buy out his arbitration years

CobyWan
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM

This.

He should be making closer to that per year.

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

they bought out his arbitration years.... durrrr

he only made 3.25 million last year and not eligible for free agency until 2013

Luno7
02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
buy out his arbitration years

admittedly, not a huge baseball fan.

wut dat is, arbitration?

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
lol @ giving a two year contract to an alcholic and a junkie

fixed

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Strong understanding of baseball in this thread.

He wasn't a FA.

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
admittedly, not a huge baseball fan.

wut dat is, arbitration?

A player has to play 6 full seasons in MLB to be a free agent.

they make minimum wage first 3 years (400k) and then the last 3 years they arbitration eligible, which means a judge can decide how much they make... or the team and player can bypass that process and just come up with a contract on their own, which they did.

The Rangers offered him 8.7 million, Hamilton asked for 12 million.

If it had gone to arbitration, the team has to argue against the player, and sometimes that causes bad blood... which is why most fo the time arbitration is avoided.

LostOne287
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM

This. He wins the batting title and MVP and his reward is a 2 year deal at 12 mil/yr. LOL.

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Strong understanding of baseball in this thread.

He wasn't a FA.

I lol'd. All these people claim to be baseball fans but have no clue of the basics of the business side of baseball.

Luno7
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
ahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up. you hear that word mentioned all the time, but you don't really grasp it's full meaning.....until now.

will rep when i can. apparently i need to spread it around.

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
If it had gone to arbitration, the team has to argue against the player, and sometimes that causes bad blood... which is why most fo the time arbitration is avoided.

lol that's not exactly why it's avoided (though it does factor in). It's avoided if they come to some sort of agreement in between what they are both originally asking. Neither know what the arbitrageur will decide so if a middle ground can be reached it usually is because clubs dont want to pay more, and players dont want to get less based on the cases decision.

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I lol'd. All these people claim to be baseball fans but have no clue of the basics of the business side of baseball.

haha right. hey, can go on google just as easy as you can

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
lol that's not exactly why it's avoided (though it does factor in). It's avoided if they come to some sort of agreement in between what they are both originally asking. Neither know what the arbitrageur will decide so if a middle ground can be reached it usually is because clubs dont want to pay more, and players dont want to get less based on the cases decision.

bad blood is part of the reason. looks like you've never been in a union before

Chill Will 33
for the guys that don't know how baseball works, the Rangers just gave him a huge pay raise for the last 2 years of his contract. Texas was smart to pay the man, better chance he'll stay with the club after he is a FA.

TexasHeat

It is one of the reasons its avoided.

I dont think the Rangers want to go into a hearing and argue they think hes only worth 8.7 million because he has past drug problems.

and also, the Rangers gave him what he was asking for, 12 million and they gave it to him for 2 years, not 1.

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
It is one of the reasons its avoided.

I dont think the Rangers want to go into a hearing and argue they think hes only worth 8.7 million because he has past drug problems.

and also, the Rangers gave him what he was asking for, 12 million and they did gave it to him for 2 years, not 1.

The 2 years is the part that's in the Rangers favor. They agreed to give him what he wanted this year so they could have him cheaper next year. For instance what if the arbitrageur agreed to the full $12 mil for this year for Hamilton, then the Rangers have to go through the process again next season and would likely owe him another raise above $12 mil.

As it is now, they dont have to worry about that.

It's basically a compromise in the long run and as a by product it will avoid bad blood and Im sure that is certainly a consideration of its own.

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
It's basically a compromise in the long run and as a by product it will avoid bad blood and Im sure that is certainly a consideration of its own.

there is no compromise when you go in front of an arbitrator/mediator (at least in my state) they have the final word on how much you make. been through it before

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 12:04 PM
there is no compromise when you go in front of an arbitrator/mediator (at least in my state) they have the final word on how much you make. been through it before

Yes dipsh*t I just got done saying settling away from it is the compromise.

Hamilton did not go to arbitration.

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes dipsh*t I just got done saying settling away from it is the compromise.

Hamilton did not go to arbitration.

sorry, i thought you meant that going to an arbitrator was a compromise

KingCanuck
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
The great Jose Bautista aka the Home Run King aka Mr. Incredible aka Domican Bomber's

hearing is scheduled for Monday. What do you think he'll get?

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
The great Jose Bautista aka the Home Run King aka Mr. Incredible aka Domican Bomber's

he'll lose and get whatever the blue jays offered.

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM

this year 5 mil. next year 6 months

richard02
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Actually jealous of the Rangers for having a competent GM. Not to derail this thread, but http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6108697 is a perfect reason the Rangers got this Hamilton deal done. It's pretty much a certainty that Weaver walks now because if he isn't worth an extra $1.4 million to them now why stick around next year.

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
sorry, i thought you meant that going to an arbitrator was a compromise

Then you didn't actually read any of my posts. Not surprised with that Boston education, its made you all retahded

LostOne287
02-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually jealous of the Rangers for having a competent GM. Not to derail this thread, but http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6108697 is a perfect reason the Rangers got this Hamilton deal done. It's pretty much a certainty that Weaver walks now because if he isn't worth an extra $1.4 million to them now why stick around next year.

That's mind blowing. Weaver was one of the best pitchers in the league last year and he loses, but Ross Ohlendorf won after going 1-11 last year.

GetBigyo

I thought he was going to be a FA after this year not 2014.

Go choke on a dick.

magicmatt
Then you didn't actually read any of my posts. Not surprised with that Boston education, its made you all retahded

right, that's why boston is the epicenter of higher education. unlike you, when i'm wrong i can admit it, instead of deleting posts and threads

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I thought he was going to be a FA after this year.

Go choke on a dick.

You are a clueless ***got.

Have fun watching the Yanks fail this year.

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 12:13 PM

I'll go with $9 mil

Just a shot in the dark

Translation for the Bostonian in here: Just a shot in the dawk

GetBigyo
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
You are a clueless ***got.

Have fun watching the Yanks fail this year.
Yeah im clueless because I didn't know when you're best player is eligibe for free agency.

I don't give a flying f*ck about your 3rd place bound franchise.

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I'll go with $9 mil

Just a shot in the dark

Translation for the Bostonian in here: Just a shot in the dawk

A settlement before that date has been unlikely since the two sides filed salary numbers nearly US$3-million apart. Bautista’s camp asked for US$10.5-million, the team offered US$7.6-million.

Read more: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/02/09/jays-bautista-headed-for-feb-14-arbitration/#ixzz1DaZujv2v

He can only get 7.6 or 10.5 million

He needs to do it for more than 1 year to win a case like this.

He will get 7.6 million guaranteed.

TexasHeat
02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah im clueless because I didn't know when you're best player is eligibe for free agency.

I don't give a flying f*ck about your 3rd place bound franchise.

Actually he isnt eligible for free agency.

joelz54_99
02-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow he got screwed. Got paid peanuts.

bbacn123
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
A settlement before that date has been unlikely since the two sides filed salary numbers nearly US$3-million apart. Bautista’s camp asked for US$10.5-million, the team offered US$7.6-million.

Read more: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/02/09/jays-bautista-headed-for-feb-14-arbitration/#ixzz1DaZujv2v

He can only get 7.6 or 10.5 million

He needs to do it for more than 1 year to win a case like this.

He will get 7.6 million guaranteed.

I know, I dont really think it will go. I dont know how long they want to extend him, but I think they'll give him $9 this year.

Otherwise Bautista will win.

Greg1983
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
That's mind blowing. Weaver was one of the best pitchers in the league last year and he loses, but Ross Ohlendorf won after going 1-11 last year.

Of course Ohlendorf "won" about 2 mil and Weaver "lost" by getting over 7, so I'm not sure how this comparison makes sense.

aeneas26
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Of course Ohlendorf "won" about 2 mil and Weaver "lost" by getting over 7, so I'm not sure how this comparison makes sense.

And W-L record for pitchers is not indicative of a pitcher's worth. It is a team stat, not an individual state.

MrStrange
02-10-2011, 02:05 PM
good for him
arbitration meetings can really end on a sour note

StudzMcSexy
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I hope one day, Hamilton can pull himself together and earn some real money. I suggest he model his performance after the legendary Jason Werth, in order to earn top dollar.

tmc.
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

6 months in a federal prison for distribution of human growth hormone.

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
6 months in a federal prison for distribution of human growth hormone.

haha beat ya

Aran
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
in b4 Josh Hamilton is injured and misses most of the season.

magicmatt
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
in b4 Josh Hamilton is high and misses most of the season.

fixed