PDA

View Full Version : MLB fans rate your teams offseason ITT

MrStrange
02-09-2011, 06:31 PM
with spring training around the corner, state your team and how u felt they did this offseason

Ill start:

watever the mets didnt have much of an option but to wait out another year for horrible contracts to expire. chris young could be a steal but who knows.

sups31
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Bartolo Colon.

Needless to say, A+

Shaun113
02-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Yankees.....

.... I am disappoint.

magicmatt
02-09-2011, 06:34 PM
A. everything could always better. i dont award pluses

Lugie
02-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Added : John Buck

Lost : Dan Uggla

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU:(

cor030
02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Nationals = meh

improved defense overall I guess with Werth and Laroche. GM said the #1 priority this off season was to add a legit #1 pitcher whether it be via free agency or trade and totally failed

they did alright, I'm more impressed that they were able to sign most(all?) of their top draft picks last draft even though some of them were very high risk picks because many GM's thought they wouldn't sign anywhere.

B-/C+

frozennorth
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Yankees- Outside of Soriano, not good. Pettite was the killer. It does seem like people are a little too down on them though

woahhh
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Phillies- A
Just need 1 more legit OF

MontelWilliams
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
indians: D

another year of futility, unless everyone comes back healthy, but still a bottom dweller

ofarevolution
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Reds: A

Signed Jay Bruce long term to a reasonable contract.
Avoided arbitration with Volquez.
Got an absolute steal for 4 years $27 million with Cueto.
Did an OK job paying Votto. Should have got more years on his deal, but he's no fool.

Most importantly, they got all of the contracts taken care of well before spring training. All the guys have to worry about is baseball until October.

-=Zeus=-!
02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
We did good, but idk what kind of impact completely emptying our farm system did yet....

SeanCC
02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Red Sox looking stacked this year

bbacn123
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Braves - B+

Still need an CFer

brb_ballin
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Sox A-.. they overpayed for Crawford

PitBillSoxFan
02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Sox: A+

Added the biggest FA bat, a top 5 hitter in MLB and revamped our biggest weakness (BP) If we added only ONE of Crawford/AGon it would be a straight A due to the effort on the BP, but with the two of them, its impossible not to give them an A+

Be_Easy_25
02-09-2011, 07:12 PM
DODGERS = D

we blew last year.
and from my vantage point we got worse.

pkahnman
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Yankees- Outside of Soriano, not good. Pettite was the killer. It does seem like people are a little too down on them though

This

JM2412
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Phillies:

B+.

Losing Werth will hurt, he was a valuable piece to the lineup because he was a RH bat.

Adding the best FA pitcher (Lee) was fukking awesome though. Dream rotation that is the best in the business.

Ralph Wiggum
02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Phillies:

B+.

Losing Werth will hurt, he was a valuable piece to the lineup because he was a RH bat.

Adding the best FA pitcher (Lee) was fukking awesome though. Dream rotation that is the best in the business.

in b4 somebody posts pics of lincecum, sanchez, etc.

Aran
02-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Oakland Athletics:

A-
we made significant improvements to our offense while making our pitching staff even better. would of been a perfect off season if we could of added a huge bat to the lineup but i'm still happy with the several good ones we did add. plus we brought back gold jerseys, how fukking cool is that?

JM2412
02-09-2011, 07:30 PM
in b4 somebody posts pics of lincecum, sanchez, etc.

http://i55.tinypic.com/29gdfr.jpg[/IMG

richard02
02-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

F for Fire Fukking Tony Reagins.

He passes on the top free agent because of money, then takes on the worst contract in baseball for the same position. Now he's arguing with the ace of staff over $700k a year before he's up for free agency.

The addition of Downs and Takahashi and the subtraction of Rivera almost bring it up to a C, but that mind fuk listed above brings it back down.

TheBateman
02-09-2011, 07:36 PM

I actually love the approach Cashman is taking. Pettitte leaving sucks because he's been with us for so long but I'm really excited to see Nova step it up and have AJ bounce back.

CC lost 30 pounds so he will be even better with improved stamina.

Russel Martin is our catcher who I've always enjoyed to watch and Montero is going to come up soon.
Soriano was a great pickup (not worth that much money) but still shortens the game with Mo in the 9th.
Hopefully Gardner continues to improve and Granderson picks up where he left off.

Not worried at all.

A- offseason (SRS)

TheBateman
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

F for Fire Fukking Tony Reagins.

He passes on the top free agent because of money, then takes on the worst contract in baseball for the same position. Now he's arguing with the ace of staff over $700k a year before he's up for free agency.

The addition of Downs and Takahashi and the subtraction of Rivera almost bring it up to a C, but that mind fuk listed above brings it back down.

Angels fukced up big time. Why they went after Vernon is beyond me.

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Yanks

Could have done better but wtf are you gonna do about Lee wanting to go back to Philly? Not the Yankees fault.

Solidified the bullpen big time.

Offense was already pretty stacked, couple of down years from guys but hopefully there will be some correction.

I like seeing what the farm has to offer. Yanks pitching is pretty deep in the minors, can't wait to see if some of these guys pan out.

I'm pretty disappointed that Joba will waste yet another year in middle relief. His career is officially ruined at this point, IMO.

Losing Pettitte sucks, but we all had to be prepared for that eventuality.

Burnett was historically bad, if he even improves a slight amount, that's a plus.

Adding Martin was good. Hopefully we won't have to see too much of Cervelli. Like the guy's passion for the game but he's just not that great.

Can't friggin wait to see Montero play.

Overall grade: C+/B-

JM2412
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
A- offseason (SRS)

Wat.

They improved their bullpen but their rotation went from (possibly) Sabathia/Lee/Pettitte/Hughes/Burnett to Sabathia/Hughes/Burnett/Nova/IDK.

TheBateman
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Wat.

They improved their bullpen but their rotation get went from (possibly) Sabathia/Lee/Pettitte/Hughes/Burnett to Sabathia/Hughes/Burnett/Nova/IDK.

irrelevant since he was never on the team

i like the team's current approach. take a chance on nova, prior, colon
save money
expect trade by the deadline for a starter

pro11skj
02-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Angels- D . It was very hard not to give it an F but getting rid of Rivera made my day, but then when I heard the Jays werent paying any of the contract (wells) I FUUUUUUUUUUUUU'd the whole night. Downs and tak were solid additions but one of them got a 3 year 15 mil contract....I must be missing something there.

richard02
02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Adding Martin was good. Hopefully we won't have to see too much of Cervelli. Like the guy's passion for the game but he's just not that great.

Can't friggin wait to see Montero play.

Overall grade: C+/B-

Russel Martin is our catcher who I've always enjoyed to watch and Montero is going to come up soon.

A- offseason (SRS)

no way you guys can be serious about Martin. A Catcher with bad hips and declining already at the plate? no thank you.

AFSFK
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Twins - Brought in some Jap and re-signed Jim Thome. +5000

XthesituationX
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Orioles - World Series Contenders (not srs)

i'd give it a B+, need more (better, proven) starting pitching but we'll see how the youngin's pan out

Additions: (graded on how good of a total transaction it was, not just player talent)

M. Reynolds - B- (added power, but added strike outs)
V. Guerrero - A- (added positives in almost every hitting category)
JJ Hardy - B+ (added a legit bat at SS)
D. Lee - B (always loved this guy with the Cubs, hard worker, good mentality)
K. Gregg - C (nice added bull pen strength but seemed like a lot of money)
J. Duchshershererererereecher - C+ (too soon to tell with his injury problems, but has upside)

Ralph Wiggum
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/29gdfr.jpg[/IMG

i'm a phillies fan...

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 08:01 PM
no way you guys can be serious about Martin. A Catcher with bad hips and declining already at the plate? no thank you.

Cause no player has ever had 2 bad seasons in a row before...

Oh and in those last 2 down years he was still better with the bat than Cervelli, and better defensively as well.

Dude's been in the league 4 years, let's wait before we call him toast.

Pls go.

TheBateman
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM

big time upgrade over singles only cervelli

PitBillSoxFan
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I actually love the approach Cashman is taking. Pettitte leaving sucks because he's been with us for so long but I'm really excited to see Nova step it up and have AJ bounce back.

CC lost 30 pounds so he will be even better with improved stamina.

Soriano was a great pickup (not worth that much money) but still shortens the game with Mo in the 9th.
Hopefully Gardner continues to improve and Granderson picks up where he left off.

Not worried at all.

A- offseason (SRS)

Ummmmm Martin's OPS the past 3 seasons was .720. For comparasion, on the Red Sox last year, that was lower than our light hitting SS Marco Scutaro.

What makes you think Nava will step up or Burnett will bounce back?

CC will have improved stamina? You DO realize he was 2nd in the AL in IP, right?

Rating the yankees off season as an A- means you don't follow baseball.

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Twins - Brought in some Jap and re-signed Jim Thome. +5000

Nishioka is a beast and Thome hit 25 HR in half his avg amount of PAs....I'd be happy if I were you.

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
CC has never had a stamina problem. Dude is always near the top in IP. The weight loss was a precaution to help protect his knees. Has nothing to do with throwing more innings.

And yeah Martin might suck but he's still better than Cervelli. Plus it will keep Jorge fresh and I won't have to watch him allow 30 passed balls a game anymore.

datnikkadee
02-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Angels- D . It was very hard not to give it an F but getting rid of Rivera made my day, but then when I heard the Jays werent paying any of the contract (wells) I FUUUUUUUUUUUUU'd the whole night. Downs and tak were solid additions but one of them got a 3 year 15 mil contract....I must be missing something there.

If you give the Angels a D, I give the Rangers a D as well.

brb losing cliff lee
brb not getting greinke
brb not getting garza
brb signing Beltre "to throw money at something"
brb screwing our franchise player over
brb possible chance of a cancer in the clubhouse now
brb don't touch Beltre's head

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
The Rangers were pretty shytti...Why on earth didn't they bring Vlad back? Inexcusible.

jross2021
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Mariners

No idea, but i'm sure they're going to suck not matter who they picked up.

Feelsbadman

TheBateman
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Ummmmm Martin's OPS the past 3 seasons was .720. For comparasion, on the Red Sox last year, that was lower than our light hitting SS Marco Scutaro.

CC will have improved stamina? You DO realize he was 2nd in the AL in IP, right?

lol u r a funny guy
the rating is not limited to the transactions of the off season. cash stayed away from signing SPs like pavano after losing lee. that's a win in my book

you do know Martin is an upgrade over cervelli. martin has a ~.03 OPS advantage. can't find uzr for either player but cervelli had 13 errors in 90 games/55sbs/9cs
compared to martin's 10 errors in 93 games/43sbs/27cs

You do know CC lost 30 lbs this offseason. he only had 2 complete games each in his 2 season with the yanks.

the team improved.
do you watch baseball?

JM2412
02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
irrelevant since he was never on the team

i like the team's current approach. take a chance on nova, prior, colon
save money
expect trade by the deadline for a starter

Yes, I know that. But that was all the talk about the Yankees going into the off-season. It was all about Lee, and most baseball fans thought that he was going to the Yankees. I would imagine that most Yankees fans wanted him and expected him to sign.

I think that constitutes as a disappointment, no? Add to the fact that Pettitte retired, their rotation went from a possible strength, to a weakness.

JM2412
02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
i'm a phillies fan...

Lol I know brah, I posted that for the Giants fans.

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, I know that. But that was all the talk about the Yankees going into the off-season. It was all about Lee, and most baseball fans thought that he was going to the Yankees. I would imagine that most Yankees fans wanted him and expected him to sign.

I think that constitutes as a disappointment, no? Add to the fact that Pettitte retired, their rotation went from a possible strength, to a weakness.

There is some disappointment but let's look at the facts...

Basically the rotation is the same minus a pitcher who had what would have been a career year if it weren't for an injury. A guy with a 3.88 career ERA. Admittedly he is a Yankee legend, a gamer, and the epitome of reliable, but it's not like we just lost prime Randy Johnson.

Vazquez is gone, but honestly who is gonna be worse than he was?

Burnett was atrocious...There's nowhere to go but up.

PitBillSoxFan
02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
lol u r a funny guy
the rating is not limited to the transactions of the off season. cash stayed away from signing SPs like pavano after losing lee. that's a win in my book

you do know Martin is an upgrade over cervelli. martin has a ~.03 OPS advantage. can't find uzr for either player but cervelli had 13 errors in 90 games/55sbs/9cs
compared to martin's 10 errors in 93 games/43sbs/27cs

You do know CC lost 30 lbs this offseason. he only had 2 complete games each in his 2 season with the yanks.

the team improved.
do you watch baseball?

God this is painful.

You didn't upgrade at catcher. I guarantee you when you look at your catchers this year and last year it'll be a wash.

I know CC lost 30 lbs. And who the fuk cares about how many CGs he has? When you're a 450 lb ace, your manager probably won't leave you in to finish games often. However a more important number is he was second in innings pitched. Saying CC has a stamina problem is like saying Pujols has a problem hitting for power.

If you think you improved as a team you are retarded. Seriously......that's retarded. As BEST, it's a wash. But you didn't really address catcher, you hae like 4 DHs (which is a way of saying too many aging vets who won't be able to play defense) You got suckered into a 4 year contract with Jeter, haven't moved Joba etc.

You think the Yanks are better? lawls

PitBillSoxFan
02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
There is some disappointment but let's look at the facts...

Basically the rotation is the same minus a pitcher who had what would have been a career year if it weren't for an injury. A guy with a 3.88 career ERA. Admittedly he is a Yankee legend, a gamer, and the epitome of reliable, but it's not like we just lost prime Randy Johnson.

Vazquez is gone, but honestly who is gonna be worse than he was?
Burnett was atrocious...There's nowhere to go but up.

Burnett and the children you have slotted at 4 and 5?

datnikkadee
02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
The Rangers were pretty shytti...Why on earth didn't they bring Vlad back? Inexcusible.

same thing like what everyone said last year, the dude has the legs of a 90 year old man. too much risk for someone that wants $8mil for a year.

had one sweet first half of the season, then fell off after the All-star break and showed up once in the postseason.

89FoxBody
02-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Burnett and the children you have slotted at 4 and 5?

Last time I checked, Burnett was a better pitcher over the course of his career than Vazquez. Burnett has 1 bad year and everyone is calling him done. Hilarious.

Regardless, I'd rather see what the farm has to offer than see that POS Javy on the mound every 5th day.

Secondly, catcher was upgraded. Most likely offensively, almost definitely defensively. Cervelli can't hit his way out of a paper bag and his defense was poor last year. Martin projects to be at least equal with the bat, and he's better defensively. If Montero makes it up, that's a potential high-impact bat, with admittedly undeveloped defense.

ATownDRock
02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Brewers

Got Rid of Ken Macha who never showed any fire whatsoever
Hired Ron Roenicke from the Angels (I like, last bench coach was Maddon)
Traded for Shaun Marcum (lost Brett Lawrie)
Traded for Zack Greinke (lost alcides, Lorenzo cain, Jeremy Jeffress (talented but been suspended twice for drugs), Jake Odorizzi)
Signed Takashi Saito, Mark Kotsay, Jeremy Reed, etc
Lost Villanueva, Doug Davis (thankfully), Dave Bush, Todd Coffey, Chris Capuano to FA
Trevor Hoffman Retired

I really like the move to really improve our pitching staff, but losing all of those young players really hurts our farm system.
Lost some dead weight in doug davis; wish dave bush would have finally put it together, but he didn't.

I'd give it an A for playing for this year
A C- for the future

frozennorth
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Hate to agree (sort of) with a Sox fan but there is no way the Yankees had an A- off-season. I think AJ and Nova will both be better, but basically the off season was predicated on signing Lee and getting Pettite to come back. Neither happened. Still, people are talking like the team that went to ALCS is suddenly gonna be struggling.

SteezeFactory
02-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Diamondbacks:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z270/IK2121/TI.gif

Pro_Shark
02-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Diamondbacks: D-

Kevin Towers isn't impressing me at all with his first offseason as the GM. Only reason the grade isn't an F is because he did manage to revamp our bullpen into what should be a lot better than last season. Not that it was really possible to make it any worse.

We lost Adam LaRoche and Mark Reynolds (whom we traded for a pair of relievers...), two of our biggest bats last season. We attempted to trade away the face of our franchise, who is on a longterm, affordable contract up into his prime. We have filled our roster with mediocre-to-poor players (Willie Bloomquist, Xavier Nady, Melvin Mora, Henry Blanco, Geoff Blum). Our rotation went from one of the best a couple seasons ago, to: Dan Hudson, Ian Kenndy, and 3 number 5 starters (Joe Saunders, Zack Duke, Armando Galarraga). And, while it was technically during last season, the Dan Haren trade was one of the biggest jokes I've seen. Our FO justified it with "Joe Saunders is a proven winner."

So yeah. 5th place in the NL West, here we come.

edit: ^^^Strong D-back combo

robogain
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Giants: B

- we the champs
- Didnt do anything stupid like sign another zito contract (such as werth contract)
- got fat panda to slim down
- we the champs
- tejada good replacement for uribe
- signed ross, andres,etc

Murph0408
02-10-2011, 06:24 AM
METS
http://terribleanalogies.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Bert-Facepalm.jpg
hmm let's see. pwn'd by bernie madoff, signed a couple SP's with history of injury, and basically preparing ourselves to lose jose reyes this year. i guess i'd say they get an F, although to me the offseason never even happened because everybody knew they'd be handicapped by the big contracts.

i wasn't expecting them to get cliff lee or anything like that. but it's just a shame because, in the meantime, the phillies set themselves up with a god-like rotation

AFSFK
02-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Nishioka is a beast and Thome hit 25 HR in half his avg amount of PAs....I'd be happy if I were you.

The only time I'll be happy is when we make it past the first round of the playoffs. So please don't make it this year.

brudman
02-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Rockies - B+ (Based solely on Tulo and CarGo, although we missed out on Brandon Webb and other guys that could have helped our rotation. We barely have 5 guys right now).

Signed Tulo and Cargo to long term deals....A++++
Got rid of Jeff Francis...http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Still have Aaron Cook...hopefully just as a formality and he goes to the bullpen
Resigned De La Rosa...http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Resigned Jason Hammel...http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Picked up Ty Wigginton...http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Lost Miguel Olivo, but picked up Jose Morales...meh
Resigned Giambi...good for clubhouse

Could get Michael Young, but if we do I hope we don't give up too much for him. We have a ton of young talent at 2B/SS/3B, and I guess we could use help at 1B.

brudman
02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
- tejada good replacement for uribe

No one can replace the huge ghetto hacks that Juan Uribe takes at every pitch. No one. I love that guy.

STA1011
02-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Dislike losing our 1 big RH bat (Werth), but not for his contract
LOVE the Lee signing though.
Still on the fence about our BP

spnealon
02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Rockies Solid B

Tulo and Cargo extensions were great moves, provides longtime stability to our lineup.

Ty Wigginton is a decent pickup, can play any position when needed and provides some pop to the lineup.

Got rid of Francis which is a good move, I don't think he'll ever be what he was in 2007.

Re-Signed De La Rosa-- I love DLR, has massive stuff from the left side, is a 15 game winner if he stays healthy, lots of strike outs and gives us a chance to win every time he is on the mound.

Picked up Jose Lopez -- Former 25 hr guy, can do well in a hitters park. Definatly an upgrade over Clint Barmes.

Lost Joe Beimel, oh well reynolds will do a better job for less $$

locked Bettencourt up for an extra 2 years, he's a good set up guy, doesn't walk anyone and has a powerful fastball.

Would love to see Michael Young in a CR uniform but looks unlikely now.

The ROckies have a legit shot at winning the west if they stay healthy. They were the most injury plagued team in the league last year and managed to stay in the race til september. Looking forward to the season.

dweeegs
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Orioles: B+

Completely changed the infield and hitting (never would've thought Vlad would be wearing orange and black)

They need pitching more than anything though, it's a little much to ask for them to get an ace pitcher but still would've been nice

AlternateHandle
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Twins get an A from me for getting rid of Punto and re-signing Thome. Outside of that I never expect much anyway.