PDA

View Full Version : Do we count protein intake while bulking from things like brown rice, oats etc?

derick90
02-02-2011, 05:18 AM
I can't find any info on the issue if I shall count the proteins (also calories) from things like brown rice, oats etc. or we just count the proteins that come out of meat, cheese etc.?

Also while bulking, shall we count vegetables and fruits as carbs or just as calories intake?

Cumulonimbus
02-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Everything if you're strict and wish to keep track.

derick90
02-02-2011, 05:25 AM
I been bulking last 6 months and gained pretty much fat around my belly and I never counted the proteins within brown rice etc. but just chicken breast, cheese and fish, can it be the reason of my fat gains?

My diet was like 150g of oats/day.
300-350g of brown rice/day.
4-6 (whole eggs), tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
can of tuna w sunflower oil (strained ofc)
250g-500g cottage cheese/dry curd.
500g-700g chicken breast cooked wo skin.
1-2 banana/day.
Lots of veggies like tomatoes/cucumbers/lettuce.
1 tablespoon of dark honey.

I', 5'9'' and now weights on 189lbs~ with like 15-18% BF.

Once a month I ate some fastfood, kebab whatsoever. My work basically requires sitting and writing on a keyboard.

Also I worked out 3-4 times a week for 1,5h + 1-2 times a week stationary bike for 20-30 mins.

Christiffer
02-02-2011, 05:33 AM
I been bulking last 6 months and gained pretty much fat around my belly and I never counted the proteins within brown rice etc. but just chicken breast, cheese and fish, can it be the reason of my fat gains?

My diet was like 150g of oats/day.
300-350g of brown rice/day.
4-6 (whole eggs), tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
can of tuna w sunflower oil (strained ofc)
250g-500g cottage cheese/dry curd.
500g-700g chicken breast cooked wo skin.
1-2 banana/day.
Lots of veggies like tomatoes/cucumbers/lettuce.
1 tablespoon of dark honey.

I', 5'9'' and now weights on 189lbs~ with like 15-18% BF.

Once a month I ate some fastfood, kebab whatsoever. My work basically requires sitting and writing on a keyboard.

Also I worked out 3-4 times a week for 1,5h + 1-2 times a week stationary bike for 20-30 mins.

Reason for fat gain would be an excess caloric surplus. With that said I do count the protein from bread/pasta ect.

adamg8504
02-02-2011, 05:51 AM
I can't find any info on the issue if I shall count the proteins (also calories) from things like brown rice, oats etc. or we just count the proteins that come out of meat, cheese etc.?

Also while bulking, shall we count vegetables and fruits as carbs or just as calories intake?

All carbs are calories but not all calories are carbs.

I hope that isn't confusing.

Sideburno
02-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Yes count those too, because protein is protein it doesn't matter if it's protein from chicken or the protein in rice.

203mh
02-02-2011, 06:19 AM
I do count it, let's say for your daily carbs you have 2 cups of oats, 2 cups brown rice, and 2 cups skim milk.

Easily it adds up to to be just over 40 grams of protein, throughout the week that ends up nearly 300 grams - over a year that will add up to be a hell of a lot.

derick90
02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Shall I also then count veggies and fruits as carbs and kcal or not?

For example I got enough calories from the oats, chicken etc. but sometimes I feel like eating veggie and fruit, if I in fact get fattier without cheat meals I shall consider counting them to the whole calories intake? I'm an ectomorph and I just sit on my arse my whole day basically.

bogus83
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Shall I also then count veggies and fruits as carbs and kcal or not?

For example I got enough calories from the oats, chicken etc. but sometimes I feel like eating veggie and fruit, if I in fact get fattier without cheat meals I shall consider counting them to the whole calories intake? I'm an ectomorph and I just sit on my arse my whole day basically.

If it is something you ingest and it contains calories, COUNT THEM. Otherwise you're just "ballparking" the amounts. There's nothing wrong with that if you've got portion control and a good eye, but it's easy to underestimate what you're taking in and over time it can really add up.