PDA

View Full Version : Auto racing is more popular than basketball? (both the NBA and college)

hwpnow
02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/01/Jan-25/Ratings-and-Research/Harris-Poll.aspx

Do you believe this poll?

Also baseball ranks as 2nd? I didn't know it was still that popular...I was thinking 3rd or 4th

ranked by popularity

Pro football
Baseball
College football
Auto racing
Men's pro basketball
Hockey
Men's soccer
Men's college basketball
Men's golf
Track & field
Bowling
Men's tennis
Boxing
Horse racing
Women's tennis
Swimming
Women's pro basketball
Women's soccer
Women's college basketball
Women's golf
Not sure

SteezeFactory
02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
"Auto Racing" is very general, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. You've got all the F1/Nascar/NHRA/Indy/Rolex Series/etc fans grouped into one, a sh*t ton of people are into racing brah.

hwpnow
02-01-2011, 09:02 PM
another surprising stat is that Men's Tennis and Bowling are more popular than Boxing. wha?

fly4navy117
02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
"Auto Racing" is very general, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. You've got all the F1/Nascar/NHRA/Indy/Rolex Series/etc fans grouped into one, a sh*t ton of people are into racing brah.

Bingo.

floppyflaps
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
That's just people's favorite sport. I'm sure there's a lot of NASCAR fans who watch the MLB and NFL just as much but don't consider it to be their favorite sport.

Basketball really isn't that popular of a spectators sport, so it's not a big surprise.

SrsSam
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
These polls aren't quite a good indicator of anything, because as someone who studies pro sports ratings closely I can tell you that in reality, the sports food chain (based on TV ratings) goes like this:

Football
Basketball
Baseball
NASCAR
Hockey
Everything else

Ratings are the only clear cut indicator of just how valued a sport is in a country because it signifies to you how much people are willing to stop what they're doing to focus on a certain sport. IE: American Football can draw up to 30-40mil viewers per game, and no coincidences here is the most popular sport in the country.

Baseball at one point did beat the NBA regularly. But in 2009 the NBA beat it in regular season ratings, in 2010 it beat it in regular season and Finals ratings, and in 2011 with the huge boost in NBA ratings due to all the summer fiasco it shouldn't even be close this year. The MLB is on a decline, and the last 2 years have seen consecutive all time lows in regular season ratings. Let's not forget their flop of a World Series ratings wise between Texas and San Francisco.

One thing you also have to consider is the age of the poll takers. NBA Basketball has the youngest average fan by a landslide at only 39 years old, which should come as obvious because most older people don't appreciate the culture of pro ball, and it has seen the most increase in fanbase of any sport in both the US and globally per year. Pro football is next in terms of young age, if I remember correctly it's in the low 40s. In 15 years time don't be surprised if pro basketball and pro football are the two sports competing for dominance on that poll.

scotyg
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
i thought nascar was supposed to be the #1 spectator sport or something

jumpman023
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow, bowling is more popular than tennis? As a tennis player, this is simply painful...

SteezeFactory
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
i thought nascar was supposed to be the #1 spectator sport or something

It is because the tracks can seat so many people, but #1 spectator sport =/= most popular sport.

bbacn123
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
These polls aren't quite a good indicator of anything, because as someone who studies pro sports ratings closely I can tell you that in reality, the sports food chain (based on TV ratings) goes like this:

Football
Basketball
Baseball
NASCAR
Hockey
Everything else

Ratings are the only clear cut indicator of just how valued a sport is in a country because it signifies to you how much people are willing to stop what they're doing to focus on a certain sport. IE: American Football can draw up to 30-40mil viewers per game, and no coincidences here is the most popular sport in the country.

Baseball at one point did beat the NBA regularly. But in 2009 the NBA beat it in regular season ratings, in 2010 it beat it in regular season and Finals ratings, and in 2011 with the huge boost in NBA ratings due to all the summer fiasco it shouldn't even be close this year. The MLB is on a decline, and the last 2 years have seen consecutive all time lows in regular season ratings. Let's not forget their flop of a World Series ratings wise between Texas and San Francisco.

One thing you also have to consider is the age of the poll takers. NBA Basketball has the youngest average fan by a landslide at only 39 years old, which should come as obvious because most older people don't appreciate the culture of pro ball, and it has seen the most increase in fanbase of any sport in both the US and globally per year. Pro football is next in terms of young age, if I remember correctly it's in the low 40s. In 15 years time don't be surprised if pro basketball and pro football are the two sports competing for dominance on that poll.

If your ratings are based on a per game average its pretty easy to see why NFL is first with the fewest games, NBA is second with the next fewest, and MLB ranks behind both of them with by far the most.

Im a far bigger Braves fan than Falcons fan but I can easily watch every Falcons game while its next to impossible to catch every Braves game.

So Im just wondering how you are basing these TV ratings. If based on per game....then skeptical hippo is skeptical when discussing their validity on popularity.

Calbro
02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
baseball wtf i dont even know anyone who watches baseball and i dont know anyone who watches auto racing.

airemout
02-01-2011, 11:50 PM
baseball wtf i dont even know anyone who watches baseball and i dont know anyone who watches auto racing.

That's because you have no friends

Where's the love for boxing? below bowling, tennis, gold, etc... really???

NYY
02-02-2011, 12:02 AM

This.

I myself is into F1, Nascar, rolex, some Indy and Lemans.

KingCanuck
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Reported for linking to another website.

per new and updated forum rules:

9.) Direct links are forbidden- Do not post links to any outside website. We have no way to verify the content of the site you are directing people to or if the site will cause harm to the user’s computer through a virus or spyware.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/announcement.php?f=153

Enjoy your infraction or mod neg OP.