PDA

View Full Version : Goodell bringing up Roethlisberger's case is highly unprofefessional/unethical

thegenerel
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
The Commissioner keeps trying to operate the NFL as if it were a corporate entity, yet for him to rehash Ben's situation is wrong of him.

More or less he is in the CEO position. Imagine how employees and outsiders would react if Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc publicly brought up a case involving a high level employee that was supposedly finished. His punishment was served, he accepted the consequences, and all parties declared that they would try to move in a positive direction.

A while later the same CEO (or manager to put in more relatable terms) says to everyone "oh, when we were determining how to punish Employee X, we talked to about 2 dozen of his coworkers and not a single one came to his defense."

How will Employee X feel after he accepted his punishment and the manager agreed that the situation was dealt with? What about some level on confidentiality? If something like this happened in your office, what would happen to that manager?

Unfortunately Goodell probably will not be held accountable for his actions, which is a bit puzzling for the guy that wants to crack down on behavior that reflects poorly upon 'the shield'.

Any reasonable football fan should agree with this, but this is the sports misc, where logic/decency/reason/intelligence rarely appears.

tyqb4
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
i thought the same thing when i heard it. pretty classless. you can't expect guys to be honest with you or respect what you do/say as commissioner if you're just going to throw them under the bus later.

magicmatt
02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
completely agree. pretty clear he has ulterior motives by doing it right before the super bowl

tmc.
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
All about the labor agreement.

cor030
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
yep, it was very unprofessional.

too bad he just signed an extension that lasts until like 2015 or some ****..

kethnaab
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
he favors the Steelers, obviously.

*points to sig*

cbad7676
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
no one likes goodell. not even his own momma

adamsteve14
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Goodell is a scumbag.

Future24
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Packers fan checking in...

...and I agree. When this report broke I was confused. Why not do it earlier in the season? I bet Goodell is raging hard the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl.

And Harrison's interview today was fuking hilarious.

kethnaab
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
And Harrison's interview today was fuking hilarious.

cliff's?

adamsteve14
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
cliff's?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=69023

21Classic
02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
he favors the Steelers, obviously.

*points to sig*

when has anything like that ever worked?

The entire of population of egypt has burnt down the city and the president aint going anywhere

adamsteve14
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
when has anything like that ever worked?

The entire of population of egypt has burnt down the city and the president aint going anywhere

Actually, Mubarek is stepping down in September. Pwned.

Future24
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
cliff's?

""I don't want to hurt nobody. I don't want to step on nobody's foot or hurt their toe. I don't want to have no dirt or none of this rubber on this field fly into their eye and make their eye hurt. I just want to tackle them softly on the ground and if you all can, we'll lay a pillow down where I'm going to tackle them, so they don't hit the ground too hard ... Mr. Goodell."

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: James Harrison 'Pillow' Video: Super Bowl Media Day 2011 Comments | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/james-harrison-pillow-video-super-bowl-media-day-2011-comments-2753197.html#ixzz1Ckgl4mDb

lol

RickRoss
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Do it to black athletes all the time

deal with it

kethnaab
02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
wow, is this dude for real?

Now he comes out years later and whines because Belichick didn't "apologize" to him regarding Spygate

W
T
F

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2176301/goodell-bb-deceived-me-no-apology#

Good lord, at least check the sig and vote!!

MusclePrime
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
“Lay pillows down where I tackle them so they don’t get hurt when they hit the ground, Mr. Goodell,” Harrison said.

Owned!

magicmatt
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
wow, is this dude for real?

Now he comes out years later and whines because Belichick didn't "apologize" to him regarding Spygate

W
T
F

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2176301/goodell-bb-deceived-me-no-apology#

Good lord, at least check the sig and vote!!

i heard this earlier and i almost died. apparently peter king has a 10 page article coming out in sports illustrated tomorrow. can't wait to read the whole thing

PatrickBateman1
02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Goodell is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of football. The game is being ruined.

evilsteve02
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
How did the whole Ben thing happen? was he just asked the question by a reporter or what?

kethnaab
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
How did the whole Ben thing happen? was he just asked the question by a reporter or what?

not sure exactly how these keep happening

i think what needs to be established here is that Goodell needs to STFU

he's acting extremely unprofessional. First he volunteers the results of an investigation involing questioning of opposing team's players, then he whines because an NFL coach didn't do what he said he would do

Are you frickin' serious?

Vafongul
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Goodell is turrble. Can definitely see the guy bringing down the quality in the future of the NFL.

_NEMESIS_
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Do it to black athletes all the time

deal with it

lol wut?

evilsteve02
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
not sure exactly how these keep happening

i think what needs to be established here is that Goodell needs to STFU

he's acting extremely unprofessional. First he volunteers the results of an investigation involing questioning of opposing team's players, then he whines because an NFL coach didn't do what he said he would do

Are you frickin' serious?

well, i guess my feeling is if he was asked a question about "how did bens teamates react" he is just answering the question, same the with Patriots thing.....BUT, like Presidents....it is best to not say anything until your done being President. I like the fact he is being honest, but i agree that until he isn't the Comish of the NFL, he needs to avoid the question. A simple "i'm not going to get into that" would have been the right thing to do.

But i don't see why it would matter. If that would mess up a team like the Steelers, then we all overrate them. This shouldn't mean **** to that team.

Big7Ben86
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
i just wanna see goodell have to hand over the MVP trophy to ben in front of millions of people

kethnaab
02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
well, i guess my feeling is if he was asked a question about "how did bens teamates react" he is just answering the question, same the with Patriots thing.....BUT, like Presidents....it is best to not say anything until your done being President. I like the fact he is being honest, but i agree that until he isn't the Comish of the NFL, he needs to avoid the question. A simple "i'm not going to get into that" would have been the right thing to do.

But i don't see why it would matter. If that would mess up a team like the Steelers, then we all overrate them. This shouldn't mean **** to that team.

oh, this isn't going to negatively affect the Steelers

i'm looking at it from a different point of view. In response to sexual assault allegations, he justifies his suspension by stating that players from other teams wouldn't support him, and were mad because Ben wouldn't sign jerseys for them?

WTF?

PatrickBateman1
02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
i just wanna see goodell have to hand over the MVP trophy to ben in front of millions of people

That would be funny as hell.

evilsteve02
02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
oh, this isn't going to negatively affect the Steelers

i'm looking at it from a different point of view. In response to sexual assault allegations, he justifies his suspension by stating that players from other teams wouldn't support him, and were mad because Ben wouldn't sign jerseys for them?

WTF?

yeah i dunno. Like i said, it would have been better to just say "i don't want to talk about that" or some other thing to avoid the question. I guess if this was part of an article, i would like to read it becuase sometimes when these little "snippets" get released they are ment to cause a big reaction to sell books or magz.

BeanieWells
02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Nothing wrong with embarrassing a serial rapist. Get over it phaggot.

JTrain306
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Nothing wrong with embarrassing a serial rapist. Get over it phaggot.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/superbwlsm/sprbwl19.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jzmCa.gif

http://erroraccessdenied.com/files/images/you_still_mad.jpg

Get over it phaggot. ;)

MikeLowry7
02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Everything Goodell does annoys me. Roger pls go.

5x10
02-02-2011, 09:19 PM
goodell is an attention whore

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he felt "deceived" by Bill Belichick in the wake of the Spygate scandal in 2007, telling Sports Illustrated recently that the New England Patriots coach did not fulfill his obligation to "tell his side of the story" after the league handed down its punishment for illegally videotaping opponents.

After he issued fines of $500,000 to Belichick and $250,000 to the team, and docked the Patriots a first-round draft pick, Goodell said he told team owner Robert Kraft that, as another part of the penalty, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of reporters. Belichick issued only a printed statement apologizing for his actions and refused to answer questions in a subsequent news conference.

"I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell told Sports Illustrated. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick denied the allegation to SI.

"I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly," he told the magazine. "I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6083150

if he doesnt say anything, its never brought up again