PDA

View Full Version : how low of carbs 2 B considered low carb

kwickez
02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
how low of carbs 2 B considered low carb

sportyhp
02-01-2007, 09:36 PM
i think this would depend on your body composition and how much you usually eat right?....but im gonna say low carb might be below 30 g? or below 40? im not sure if you mean throughout a whole day, for one meal...

kwickez
02-01-2007, 09:45 PM
for the whole day.like what is the max on atkin ect.??

randomality
02-02-2007, 12:00 AM
for the whole day.like what is the max on atkin ect.??

exactly... i'm only getting in 50 grams a day, and it's coming from veggies.

for most people, low carb tends to be 1 gram/lb of bodyweight... like the whole protein thing...

PopeGregorius
02-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Atkins induction is 20g/day carbs, then "gradually increase the daily intake of carbohydrate grams until reaching a level that allows you to still lose weight". For Atkins foods foods see
http://lowcarb4life.sugarbane.com/lowcarbfoods.htm

If you are so interested, buy the book.

kwickez
02-02-2007, 01:29 PM
right now i weigh 213 and started a meal plan that is average og 150 carbs day

burke
06-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I am trying to figure this out as well just out of curiousity. Currently I consume about 1900 calories a day for my cut and my average day looks something like this...

219g protein
96g carb
72g fat

Would this be considered a low carb diet? Obviously it's not drastic but still would be considered pretty low for my weight etc, correct?

MAXMUSCLE86
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
isn't atkins 30% fat, 30% carbs and 40% protein?

IMAPACKERFAN
06-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I eat less than 5g/day on keto.

SDC77
06-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Depends to what degree you go with it. I consider 150 and under low carb, but there is a big difference between low carb and ketogenic diets.

Spottydog
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
isn't atkins 30% fat, 30% carbs and 40% protein?

THat's the Zone.
Zone > Atkins

MAXMUSCLE86
06-22-2008, 05:37 PM
THat's the Zone.
Zone > Atkins

Personally I find that to be the best blend of results and maintained fat loss when you are done cutting.

BlueFenix13S
06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Here's a quote from the Low Carb Roundtable (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1138762):

T-Nation: We have a big group here so let's jump right into it. How do you define the term "low-carb nutrition?"

Charles Poliquin: I consider low-carb to be when the daily carb intake is below 0.25 grams per pound of bodyweight. In other words, a 200-pound man ingests only 50 grams of carbs per day.

Dan John: Well, as simple as that question sounds, that's the big issue. I've talked with people who think switching brands of cereal is a "low-carb" decision.

Personally, I like to start with a simple proposition to most athletes: zero carbs. If we have to make body comp changes quickly, well, there are no carbs allowed. We know that there are also no "essential" carbs, so the first hurdle we have to deal with when it comes to the athlete is this: fat phobia.

So, that's zero carb basically, so what's low-carb? To some, anything under 95% of the day's calories from carbs is low-carb. Really, I like the strictness of the Atkins Diet and its copies: 40 grams a day. Others slide up to 100 carbs a day, but already we're getting into problems.

Like what? Low-carb cereal, low-carb bread, low-carb ice cream...you know the drill. Here you go: eat meat and veggies at first. Now, a hand from the back goes up: "What about fruit?" My challenge to Americans: get fat on fruit. I challenge you! Eat 300 plums a day for two weeks and get back to me. (For the idiots out there: I'm joking!)

Joel Marion: I think the issue arises when people fail to differentiate between the terms low-carb and ketogenic. The terms are often used interchangeably, especially within bodybuilding circles, but the latter is much more specific than the former.

The term "low-carb" really is an ambiguous, almost relative term. For example, you may consider a diet prescribing only 150 grams of carbs "low-carb" while to someone else such a "high" carbohydrate intake doesn't come close to qualifying for the title. You'll even see the term "lower-carb" used for a lot of these diets that restrict carbs while still being much less strict than something like Atkins. Then you have "very low-carb" and "no-carb," which further bring confusion to what exactly is meant by each one of these terms.

Now when you're talking "ketogenic," you're looking at much more specific parameters. You're not on a ketogenic diet unless you're in ketosis, so at least that gives dieters somewhat of an absolute to measure. While there are exceptions, the majority of people will have to stay under 50 grams of carbohydrates per day to reach and stay in ketosis, some an even lower threshold.

Cassandra Forsythe: While I've been working at UConn researching very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets (VLCKDs) with Dr. Jeff Volek, I'd define a low-carbohydrate diet (LCD) as one supplying less than 50 grams of carbohydrate per day, or providing less than 10-15% total energy from carbohydrate (i.e. a 3000kcal diet with 10% calories from carbohydrate would have 75 grams of carbohydrate).

To go a step further, I'd classify a VLCKD as one supplying less than 20 grams of carbohydrate per day from only non-starchy vegetables (leafy greens) and causing the body to produce ketones from dietary fat which are detected in the urine by reagent strips (those ketostiks that Joel mentioned).

Some people also define a LCD as one that provides less carbohydrate than recommended by our nutritional governing bodies (AHA, ADA etc.). This would mean that any intake with less than 55% total energy from carbohydrate is a low-carb approach.

I'd somewhat agree, but modify it to say that diets with less than 35-40% energy from complex carbs and vegetables (no Gatorade here) are a type of LCD. Zone and South Beach diet plans would thus be included in the definition of low-carb.

The foods eaten on a LCD can include low-carb products (bars, shakes), but should come mostly from whole-food sources like red meats, eggs, fish, poultry, cheese, leafy vegetables, oils, nuts, nut butters, avocados, and gelatin. Fruits are acceptable in small quantities and so are some beans and legumes.

On a VLCKD, carb restriction is more extreme (no fruit at all) and fat intake has to be high.

Dave Barr: Define low-carb nutrition? How about I give the super scientific answer, you know, the one that's so esoteric no one understands (and therefore can't use)?

No, no, I'm getting sick of that. I'll give a simple pragmatic answer instead: a diet consisting of an insufficient quantity of carbohydrates to meet daily energy requirements, such that dietary and body fat must be used as the primary energy source.

labradarep
06-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I am trying to figure this out as well just out of curiousity. Currently I consume about 1900 calories a day for my cut and my average day looks something like this...

219g protein
96g carb
72g fat

Would this be considered a low carb diet? Obviously it's not drastic but still would be considered pretty low for my weight etc, correct?

Yes, that is a pretty good macro breakdown.

drifterxs12
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM

Wow, how the hell do you do that? lol

burke
06-22-2008, 09:25 PM
How how the hell do these 0 carb diets work? That means no veggies either? Would be wierd having just eggs in the morning with nothing else for breakfest..

BlueFenix13S
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
How how the hell do these 0 carb diets work? That means no veggies either? Would be wierd having just eggs in the morning with nothing else for breakfest..

It's impossible to consume a "zero" carb diet.

And you don't have to eat "just eggs", though there is nothing wrong with that. Why not think of a nice low carb breakfast as a 3 egg omelet with spinach/broccoli/onion and feta cheese, a 4oz salmon fillet, and coffee with cream?

burke
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Well I guess what I am asking is on this severe low carb diets, does that mean no Veggies either?

drifterxs12
06-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Well I guess what I am asking is on this severe low carb diets, does that mean no Veggies either?

From what I have read about low carb diets, you can still eat low starch vegetables. So no potatoes, corn, and carrots.

BlueFenix13S
06-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Indulge on veggies.

burke
07-07-2008, 09:29 AM

How is that possible there is 6g of carbs alone in my 4 egg whites?

burke
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, how the hell do you do that? lol

Also would this be pretty catabolic?

ferak
07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Theres no carbs in egg whites...just go to the keto section if youre curious on how it works.

ElayneTrakand
07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Ketoers also subtract fibre from the totals carbs they consume correct?