PDA

View Full Version : Calorie is or is not a calorie? I'm confused...

tranquil4343
01-25-2011, 03:13 PM
So my understanding is a calorie is not just a calorie, that different calories have different effects on the body. And if one wants to lose fat then one must be in a caloric deficit. Then can someone explain to me how do high glycemic carbs (i.e. cookies) that cause a dramatic rise in insulin quickly cause a person to put on fat if that person happens to be in a caloric deficit? I am just really confused with all this.....Thanks!

snorkelman
01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Unless you are diabetic or insulin resistant, I suggest you ignore any advice you have been hearing about GI (high GI carbs), because it is bad advice.

if one wants to lose fat then one must be in a caloric deficit.

^^^ true. regardless of what you eat. Now, of course if you eat nothing but cookies then you will lose muscle due to an absence of protein, so let's not be crazy here.

can someone explain to me how do high glycemic carbs ...quickly cause a person to put on fat if that person happens to be in a caloric deficit?

^^ That is not true. That is propaganda from someone who has an unfounded fear of high GI carbs.

lee__d
01-25-2011, 03:22 PM
http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
^insulin info, dont worry about the GI (gi experiments were done in fasted subjects, with only the carb itself. most ppl are in the fed state and/or combine other macros with their carb source)

a calorie is a caloire in terms of bodycomposition* NOT overall long term health
*given adequate protein for building/maintaining muscle.

protein and fat are essential macronutrients (meaning u need them to function and live)

carbs are not essential (meaning u can live without them), but they are an efficient source of energy, so totally eliminating or drastically cutting them can have an effect on performance (both in and out of the gym).

so given a diet that results in a caloric deficit (with adequate protein -for muskels and life- and fat - for life and other bodily functions) one will spare as much muscle as possible while losing weight.

given a diet without any consideration of macros that results in a caloric deficit, one will lose weight, but likely a lot of muscle, too (especially if protein intake is too low)