PDA

View Full Version : Digestion/Bowel movement problem?

freak111
01-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Well I recently switched to a Protein only diet with emphasis on little to no carbs. The only carbs I am eating throughout the day is just Post-workout. I typically train with weights 6 times a week with no cardio being that my workouts are volumous and intense (little to no rest) between sets.

So I stopped consuming Dairy (Milk, Cheese, etc) Breads, Carbs such as Breads, Pasta, Bread, etc.

I'm focusing more on Veggies/Salads. I minimally consume fruits only fruits I'd consume is Granny Smith Apples once every 4-5 days to kill sweet cravings.

I do take Whey shakes once a day typically or once every other day.

My salt/sodium intake is very very little to barely any.

I like to use Black Peppers / Basil Leaves when cooking.

I drink 1 gallon typically a day some days I slack off and drink less but however I am noticing I am having digestion issues which is equaling to terrible bowel movements, for example I am getting bowel movements (Not soft stool) once every 4-5 days which is BAD! I don't like to fill up my stomache, pile up food, and keep it over night as I sleep and throughout the day I feel sluggish, bloated/fat, and ****ty feeling.

I was told I should take Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, L-Glutamine, up my water intake and veggies/salads/fruits as if now.

I did take a Laxative before it was Citrate of Magnesia, the problem is that I got Hemmerhoids (Srs) and a physician recommended that if I do want "laxative" i should get a soft colon cleanser rather laxatives because they cause hemmerhoids.

Anyways,

Cliffs = bowel movements every 4-5 days, not soft (TMI) and looking for ways to help me "rush" more

Thanks!

WonderPug
01-25-2011, 02:15 AM
You're describing constipation, but without sufficient detail (unfortunately or fortunately, depending on perspective) to make a meaningful recommendation.

Do you simply poop infrequently or is your stool hard to the point of being difficult to pass stools or do you have a sense of incomplete emptying after a bowel movement?

The reason I ask is the cause of each of these "types" of constipation is probably different and thus the approach to solving each is different.

westendRIOT86
01-25-2011, 02:40 AM
carbs are your friend. fiber is your BEST friend.

go buy some broccoli and some fiber one cereal. eat and repeat.

AlwaysTryin
01-25-2011, 02:47 AM
I was told I should take Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, L-Glutamine, up my water intake and veggies/salads/fruits as if now.

I'm curious what glutamine would do for your issue? (srs)

flinkpoyd01
01-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Based on your post, I challenge you to determine your fat intake for a typical day. I find none in your diet that aren't incidental. You need healthy fats in your diet. Unless, of course, you don't mind having no sex drive, thin hair, ****ty skin, and overall hormones out of whack. Srs. It happens and its not enjoyable.

freak111
01-25-2011, 05:20 AM
I am guessing my fat intake is low because my libido is low! So my fat intake is usually Olive Oil, and raw Almonds/nuts.

I'm not getting frequent bowel movement not that I am having a hard stool i'm avoiding.

Thanks guys

flinkpoyd01
01-25-2011, 05:25 AM
I am guessing my fat intake is low because my libido is low! So my fat intake is usually Olive Oil, and raw Almonds/nuts.

I'm not getting frequent bowel movement not that I am having a hard stool i'm avoiding.

Thanks guys

On the right track, although you have the paradigm reversed - your libido is low due to low fat intake. Get it up into the .5-1g per lb of body weight and sustain that. It will probably take a while before you start feeling more normal again, at least it was a while for me.

Also, when I was cutting hardcore I ended up with the same constipation issue and I increased my water intake and it helped a bit. However by eating a more rounded diet with more carbs and fats my body began to regulate itself much better and my "regularity" is fine now. Moderation of all macros works fine for me, but to each his own.

freak111
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Thank you I appreciate this

On the right track, although you have the paradigm reversed - your libido is low due to low fat intake. Get it up into the .5-1g per lb of body weight and sustain that. It will probably take a while before you start feeling more normal again, at least it was a while for me.

Also, when I was cutting hardcore I ended up with the same constipation issue and I increased my water intake and it helped a bit. However by eating a more rounded diet with more carbs and fats my body began to regulate itself much better and my "regularity" is fine now. Moderation of all macros works fine for me, but to each his own.

wildthings
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
If you are getting probiotics, you might want to consider getting lactobacillus plantarum 299v. Studies have shown that lactobacillus plantarum 299v resulted in a significant reduction in abdominal pain and more frequent bowel movements in constipated patients.

schismatik
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
not meaning to high jack, but what could lead to the type of constipation where you feel you're not totally emptying out? Sometimes i get this and i usually end up eating a **** ton of fiber one cereal to get it all out...but is this due to lack of fiber, fat or an irregular eating schedule?

|progress|
01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.konsyl.com/p-24-konsyl-300g.aspx

AlwaysTryin
01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
You going to answer my question OP

freak111
01-26-2011, 01:41 AM
I apologize I just heard its good for your gut/digestion that's it was recommended but then again I don't know exact.

Day 2 - and still no bowel movement... This is scary

My goal is to drink 2.5-3 gallons of water and see what happens if not then laxative (ex-lax) or a soft colon cleanser is my only option!

You going to answer my question OP

vinipitta
01-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Question (not direct to the OP): In the context of improving bowel movements, fiber consumption timing, relative to your eating pattern, plays any rule?

freak111
01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Update - I took ex-lax 16 hours ago didn't work for me but I did get bowel movement but nothing great... This is frustrating

Havux
01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Update - I took ex-lax 16 hours ago didn't work for me but I did get bowel movement but nothing great... This is frustrating

Yeah I've had constipation issues pretty much as far as I can remember. I always get really nervous/anxious when its the 3rd day, and I begin to freak out on the 4th day. I haven't really found anything that's helped so far, but I am still experimenting.

freak111
01-27-2011, 08:05 AM
I heard Citrate of Magnesia was the best and up your water intake to 3 gallons.

Yeah I've had constipation issues pretty much as far as I can remember. I always get really nervous/anxious when its the 3rd day, and I begin to freak out on the 4th day. I haven't really found anything that's helped so far, but I am still experimenting.

AlwaysTryin
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
I apologize I just heard its good for your gut/digestion that's it was recommended but then again I don't know exact.

Wow... didn't know that

vinipitta
01-28-2011, 04:45 AM
I am looking forward to see a deep analysis of this subject by AlwaysTryin and WonderPug.

WonderPug stated about the different approaches to each case. I am curious because I see a lot of generic recommendations to treat it but suspect there isn't that simple as raise fiber and water intake (or it is?). There are lots of threads in the forum but never see more than guess replies.

Christiffer
01-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Op, may I ask why your avoiding starch and fruit...? Adding whole grains, fruits and veggies might do the trick.