PDA

View Full Version : A decent Keto diet

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok, I have been browsing this forum for about half an hour...

Can someone give me a link to explain how a KETO diet works?

I know its low carb, med protein and high fat but thats all i know.

Also, links to good examples of meals, plans ect.. would be helpful

blong4133
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Ok, I have been browsing this forum for about half an hour...

Can someone give me a link to explain how a KETO diet works?

I know its low carb, med protein and high fat but thats all i know.

Also, links to good examples of meals, plans ect.. would be helpful

Have you checked the keto forum?

Basically it's a regular diet in that you still have a caloric defecit, but the majority of your calories will come from fat. typically, 65 % of you cals are from fat, 30 % from protein, and 5 % from carbs. You basically eat any meat, poultry, fish, eggs, bacon, all that good stuff, while cutting out starchy carbs. Fibrous veggies are good because you need some fiber in your diet. Thinks like broccoli, spinach, green beans, or any green veggie will work.

It works by limiting the amount of carbs your body has. When your body runs out of glycogen, it has to look to another source for energy, and since you're taking in higher amounts of fat, that becomes the new energy source. So when you body moves into ketosis, fat will be broken down for energy and this process results in a ketone, which is expelled through the urine, and causes "keto breath" or a sweet kind of taste in your mouth.

That's very very very brief summation of it, but if you want to know specifics just PM me. I'd be mor than happy to help. been on keto for a while now and have lost close to 35 lbs on it.

SEANxALLxDAY
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=36497

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Have you checked the keto forum?

Basically it's a regular diet in that you still have a caloric defecit, but the majority of your calories will come from fat. typically, 65 % of you cals are from fat, 30 % from protein, and 5 % from carbs. You basically eat any meat, poultry, fish, eggs, bacon, all that good stuff, while cutting out starchy carbs. Fibrous veggies are good because you need some fiber in your diet. Thinks like broccoli, spinach, green beans, or any green veggie will work.

It works by limiting the amount of carbs your body has. When your body runs out of glycogen, it has to look to another source for energy, and since you're taking in higher amounts of fat, that becomes the new energy source. So when you body moves into ketosis, fat will be broken down for energy and this process results in a ketone, which is expelled through the urine, and causes "keto breath" or a sweet kind of taste in your mouth.

That's very very very brief summation of it, but if you want to know specifics just PM me. I'd be mor than happy to help. been on keto for a while now and have lost close to 35 lbs on it.

Thanks.. Gonna give this a try beginning Febuary I think.

blong4133
01-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Cyber: I tried to respond to ur message but it said you have privat messages disabled...

AlwaysTryin
01-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks.. Gonna give this a try beginning Febuary I think.

I suggest that you REALLY research into it before starting as most people start it without knowing how it works truly and incorporate carbs from foods/sauces etc without realising

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 10:18 PM
That happens sometimes when I send one to ppl. There is a ln option you can click under the message panel saying 'allow to send to ppl not in ur friend lists'.

I have added you as a friend anyway, if you don't mind :)

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Cyber: I tried to respond to ur message but it said you have privat messages disabled...
That happens sometimes when I send one to ppl. There is a ln option you can click under the message panel saying 'allow to send to ppl not in ur friend lists'.

I have added you as a friend anyway, if you don't mind :)

Los_Diablo
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Basically it's a diet where you cut out one macronutrient and you convince yourself that that one macronutrient is the reason for your weight loss when it reality it was the calories that come along with that one macronutrient that was cut from your diet that is the reason for your weight loss.

;)

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Basically it's a diet where you cut out one macronutrient and you convince yourself that that one macronutrient is the reason for your weight loss when it reality it was the calories that come along with that one macronutrient that was cut from your diet that is the reason for your weight loss.

;)

Yeah, except carbs are the thing that gets stored as fat. Lol

access1denied
01-24-2011, 10:55 PM
A ketogenic style diet, cyclical ketogenic in particular, is highly recommend for cutting. Before some anti-ketogenic diet person comes yelling "SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE GOT JACKED WITH OUT IT," first understand, that when you are in glycolysis (Your tissues prefer glucose as fuel), your insulin levels are high -- insulin is the "storage" hormone, and when there is an abundance of glucose in your bloodstream, your pancreas releases this hormone to regulate blood sugar levels. It also shuttles proteins into muscle and other tissues that require repair. One should ask themselves next, "Does it make sense to cut weight when my body is biased towards storing energy, and not using it?" Of course not. In ketosis, where your body prefers ketones and fatty acids as fuel, your liver secretes more glucagon, which is insulin's antagonist. Your body will preferentially use ketones and fatty acids from food sources and adipose tissues, and assuming your protein is adequate, will reserve protein only for tissue repair (As well as a small amount of gluconeogenesis), as opposed to glycolysis, where if blood sugars are low and there is no carbohydrate available relative to metabolic needs, your body ravages your protein stores, aka muscles.

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
A ketogenic style diet, cyclical ketogenic in particular, is highly recommend for cutting. Before some anti-ketogenic diet person comes yelling "SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE GOT JACKED WITH OUT IT," first understand, that when you are in glycolysis (Your tissues prefer glucose as fuel), your insulin levels are high -- insulin is the "storage" hormone, and when there is an abundance of glucose in your bloodstream, your pancreas releases this hormone to regulate blood sugar levels. It also shuttles proteins into muscle and other tissues that require repair. One should ask themselves next, "Does it make sense to cut weight when my body is biased towards storing energy, and not using it?" Of course not. In ketosis, where your body prefers ketones and fatty acids as fuel, your liver secretes more glucagon, which is insulin's antagonist. Your body will preferentially use ketones and fatty acids from food sources and adipose tissues, and assuming your protein is adequate, will reserve protein only for tissue repair (As well as a small amount of gluconeogenesis), as opposed to glycolysis, where if blood sugars are low and there is no carbohydrate available relative to metabolic needs, your body ravages your protein stores, aka muscles.

Yeah, that basically sums up what I had time to research into.

One question tho. I only weigh 165lb. I don't really want to loose too much weight but I do want to lower my body fat %. If I was to do this diet at my maintanance level, would my body fat still decrease?

access1denied
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, that basically sums up what I had time to research into.

One question tho. I only weigh 165lb. I don't really want to loose too much weight but I do want to lower my body fat %. If I was to do this diet at my maintanance level, would my body fat still decrease?

You're going to have to be at caloric deficit still. If your deficit isn't extreme, like in the 500-600 range, and you carb up once a week, the vast, vast majority of your weightless will be fat (After the initial water/glucose dump.)

cybertronik
01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
You're going to have to be at caloric deficit still. If your deficit isn't extreme, like in the 500-600 range, and you carb up once a week, the vast, vast majority of your weightless will be fat (After the initial water/glucose dump.)

Ace. Ok, Im gonna totally look into this and maybe start it next week. Gives me a week to properly look into it and get a diet plan set up.

Thanks for your help guys.

AlwaysTryin
01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah, except carbs are the thing that gets stored as fat. Lol

Ummmm.... What do you think forms TAGs stored in adipose tissue...

cybertronik
01-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Ummmm.... What do you think forms TAGs stored in adipose tissue...

What's ur suggestion then?

AlwaysTryin
01-25-2011, 02:15 AM
What's ur suggestion then?

Do whatever you want. Personally I'd do a normal diet so simple and variable

but my point was about your comment, more meaning fatty acids get stored too