PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin is not a bad coach, or a good one.

ShadowBarkley
01-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Please tell me im not the only one that has noticed from day 1 of the "Tomlin era"

That he Does Not call any plays.

Ive never seen him call a play. Never seen a play sheet in his hand. Never seen him talking to ben on the sidelines after timeouts, ben goes str8 to his offensive coordinator. Hes always just listening. I think his headset is unplugged. A lot of bad timeout calls and bad challenges.

Maybe he keeps his team prepared and the players like him. Which is all good. But thats only half the job. Im just not a fan of people saying Mike Tomlin is a great coach. Week in a week out I watch a steeler game and he does almost nothing, but clap and cheer for his team.

Yes im a little bit mad. lols.

Madsen89
01-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Who?

Oh you mean that guy from House?

magicmatt
01-24-2011, 05:32 AM
never really noticed but his team hasnt been this dominant on accident

AreolaBorealis
01-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Love me some Tomlin. He always looks so alpha out there.

http://illvibes-dmv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mike_tomlin-pointing.jpg

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_mike_tomlin_bye.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmbw5-kz1W29C5ZTgFGY0xtCSsOrCt4iKd2UgfNtSdhKH1U24-&t=1

bmontgomery87
01-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Love me some Tomlin. He always looks so alpha out there.

http://illvibes-dmv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mike_tomlin-pointing.jpg

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_mike_tomlin_bye.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmbw5-kz1W29C5ZTgFGY0xtCSsOrCt4iKd2UgfNtSdhKH1U24-&t=1

win!
http://calitreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

ITT we talk trash about an awesome young coach who is taking his team to another superbowl

magicmatt
01-24-2011, 05:46 AM
i like how he keeps his cool all the time.

AreolaBorealis
01-24-2011, 05:48 AM
From last year lol gotta love that swag

PITTSBURGH -- When a weary Mike Tomlin arrived home from the Steelers' 37-36 victory over the Packers, 8-year-old Dino popped the same question much of Pittsburgh was asking: Why did you try that onside kick?

"I told him to be quiet," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference on Tuesday.

bking10
01-24-2011, 06:12 AM
to be honest, what more do you want from a head coach. he makes sure his players are ready every game and that they play hard for him. sure he might get more credit than he deserves, but he would also get all of the blame if they were bad.

fly4navy117
01-24-2011, 06:19 AM
The #1 job of a head coach is to hire a good staff. They are first and foremost a manager. Do they help with game planning? Sure. They have a lot of football experience. But on game day, it's their job to manage the game and let the coordinators do their job. I don't think anyone has any room to critique the way MT runs his team. He clearly has a winning formula.

thegenerel
01-24-2011, 06:23 AM
a lot of HC's dont assume playcalling.

mind you Tomlin is a defensive coach, and he has Lebeau. Naturally he defers to the DC playcalling. Of course he wont be calling offensive plays either.

imo, Tomlin isnt a mastermind technician, but his strengths lie in motiviation and leadership.

buckeyenutz
01-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Could see him in a brainless, violent cop flick though.

Goby
01-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Who?

loled hard

Liangtastic
01-24-2011, 06:44 AM
The #1 job of a head coach is to hire a good staff. They are first and foremost a manager. Do they help with game planning? Sure. They have a lot of football experience. But on game day, it's their job to manage the game and let the coordinators do their job. I don't think anyone has any room to critique the way MT runs his team. He clearly has a winning formula.

/thread

Excellent young coach and perfect fit for his team. Respect.

J_sKy
01-24-2011, 06:50 AM

This.

Pretty much everything you said OP, is what makes him a great coach.

His job is to guide and build a team of players and coaches to win football games. If that means calling every play on offense and defense, so be it, if it means calling 0, fine. Every approach can be different as long as they have the same outcome, win games.

Trapstar4.4
01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
From last year lol gotta love that swag

PITTSBURGH -- When a weary Mike Tomlin arrived home from the Steelers' 37-36 victory over the Packers, 8-year-old Dino popped the same question much of Pittsburgh was asking: Why did you try that onside kick?

"I told him to be quiet," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference on Tuesday.

yeah i still remember the first game of the season against the falcons. they showed Coach smith blazing over to the ref and repeatedly yelling TIMEOUT TIMEOUT TIMEOUT!!!!
then later in another tense situation they show tomlin standing next to the ref while waiting nonchalantly for the right moment to calll it. that moment comes, he gracefully slides his mike down and utters, "tiiiiiiimeout..."

swaggin'

Who?

thats not Mike tomlin, thats omar epps!!! i lol'd

Pern
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
ITT OP has never heard of Offensive and Defensive Coordinators.

Madsen89
01-24-2011, 08:30 AM
thats not Mike tomlin, thats omar epps!!! i lol'd

What the **** you talkin' bout, Willis?

Hollywood doctor by offseason, Superbowl Champ by football season.

ShadowBarkley
01-24-2011, 08:42 AM
ITT OP has never heard of Offensive and Defensive Coordinators.

Come on, lol. Im too much of a diehard.

Mike Tomlin walked into a great situation, which is fine.
The players play for him. I just dont think its fair to call him great and put him on a bill bellichek type lvl.

Acal83
01-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Insert obligatory espn/NFLnetwork quote about his "coolness" "swagger" "swag" "smoothness" (any of these can be used interchangeably)

I like him and I think he is a good coach, you dont get to the superbowl twice in 4 years otherwise, but man its funny the code words sportscasters use for black people and white people.

Pern
01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Come on, lol. Im too much of a diehard.

Mike Tomlin walked into a great situation, which is fine.
The players play for him. I just dont think its fair to call him great and put him on a bill bellichek type lvl.

Nobody is on Belichick's level.

Tomlin does his coaching from day one (training camp). He prepares and motivates, and says the right things in the media. Every single one of his players knows that he has their backs whether win or lose.

I don't think anyone that his hyping up Tomlin is referring to his in game ability as a Coach.

Bottom line, being a Head Coach doesn't mean calling plays.

KennyK
01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
and his hair/beard is always fresh

Pern
01-24-2011, 08:59 AM
and his hair/beard is always fresh

Goes to Jerome Bettis' barber.

Big_Pete1000
01-24-2011, 09:13 AM
He kinda reminds me of Les Miles.

Does some really dumb decisions sometimes but they usually pay off and work out.

DubV
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I despise all Pittsburgh teams especially the Steelers but for some reason I find Tomlin to be a likable guy. And he is a good coach whether you like him or not.

Masstastic
01-24-2011, 09:46 AM
I despise all Pittsburgh teams especially the Steelers but for some reason I find Tomlin to be a likable guy. And he is a good coach whether you like him or not.

Did his cousins whoop your ass on WVU's campus and steal your phone?

Be_Easy_25
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Sure looked like Rex ryan that mark Sanchez ran to on the sideline on that last TD to cotchery.

Clearly Rex is not a good head coach.

Or a bad one either

magicmatt
01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Did his cousins whoop your ass on WVU's campus and steal your phone?

no, they're just all fat and annoying/delusional as fuk. talked to a few today who say ben is better than montana because of how he moves. lol

TAWS6
01-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Please tell me im not the only one that has noticed from day 1 of the "Tomlin era"

That he Does Not call any plays.

Ive never seen him call a play. Never seen a play sheet in his hand. Never seen him talking to ben on the sidelines after timeouts, ben goes str8 to his offensive coordinator. Hes always just listening. I think his headset is unplugged. A lot of bad timeout calls and bad challenges.

Maybe he keeps his team prepared and the players like him. Which is all good. But thats only half the job. Im just not a fan of people saying Mike Tomlin is a great coach. Week in a week out I watch a steeler game and he does almost nothing, but clap and cheer for his team.

Yes im a little bit mad. lols.

whyumadthough.gif

Masstastic
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
no, they're just all fat and annoying/delusional as fuk. talked to a few today who say ben is better than montana because of how he moves. lol

http://i.imgur.com/EAD4S.gif

BeauJ
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Not a Steeler fan, but admire Tomlin. Dude can be that stoic and still be off the charts with swag.

magicmatt
01-24-2011, 11:07 AM

http://i.imgur.com/EAD4S.gif

got mod repped cuzzz, you furious?

Trapstar4.4
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
What the **** you talkin' bout, Willis?

Hollywood doctor by offseason, Superbowl Champ by football season.

that mofugga is multi-talented!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRedki2NrIjk-da8EnSox-f-UO8k5uMrhVG6DBXU9wkyQSVwh2F

hellabutt
01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Goes to Jerome Bettis' barber.

jerome and tomlin dont go to a barber dude, they actually have their hair cut by lasers at nasa.