PDA

View Full Version : Question on protein (reps)

arcanyr
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm aware of the whole irrelevance of nutrient timing and the myths associated with it but was wondering on the rate of protein absorption. Let's say i ingest 100g of protein in one sitting(15 mins) then ingest another 100g about 2 hours later to fill my macros. Would my body be able to fully use all the protein i just ate effectively or would most of it go to waste?

I've searched the forums but always come across conflicting opinions. Can someone clear this up for me?

runner2010
01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Some of it will be used, but the body can't use a full 200g of protein in such a short time. That's really more than you need in a whole day. It should be more than sufficient to meet your needs.

anna-maro
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I just wonder why ppl have to put (reps) when they don't anyways, or in the red....

MikeK46
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Would my body be able to fully use all the protein i just ate effectively or would most of it go to waste?

What do you mean by "fully use?" That's quite vague considering all the various metabolic processes that can occur when you ingest protein. Does it refer to digestion/absorption? Synthesis of cell structures? Neurotransmitters? Synthesis of muscle protein? Removal of nitrogen? Conversion to glucose? Fatty acids?

Words like "use" and "process" are not physiological descriptions of anything.

Your GI tract is 30 feet long. All the protein (as well as any other macronutrient) you can stuff yourself with has more than enough time to be digested (broken down to individual amino acids) and absorbed into your blood. After that, it will all be used for various metabolic functions mentioned in the paragraph above and your kidneys will remove all the nitrogen byproducts.

Anything in excess that is not used for vital functions and muscle synthesis will ultimately be converted to glucose and (to a small degree) fatty acids [this excess is what you don't actually have a biological requirement for]. From there it can be used for energy. Any excess not used for energy will be stored as fat.

There's your answer.

jake1224
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
People need to stop thinking of the digestive system as something with a "capacity" and more of a "queue". Sure there's a partitioning capacity for nutrients and at that point they will be converted to waste and excreted, but it's significantly higher than 200g, or many typical estimations.

Point is, nomnomnom'ing 100g of protein, and then another 100g a few hours later is just putting protein in the "line" to be used. Over the following hours, the first 100g will be assimilated and put to use, and following that, the other 100g. It doesn't even work specifically like that AFAIK, your body will not sort two amounts of the same nutrient and prioritize parts of the same thing.

^ incoherent, but yeah. The body will eventually take what is deposited and put it to use.

Joseph1990
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
If your not talking whey and you eat whole foods, don't worry about your body not being able to make efficient use of large quantity's of protein. People underestimate the human body and what it is capable of.

gomez26
01-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Let's say i ingest 100g of protein in one sitting(15 mins) then ingest another 100g about 2 hours later to fill my macros. Would my body be able to fully use all the protein i just ate effectively or would most of it go to waste?

Some of it will be used, but the body can't use a full 200g of protein in such a short time.

larger meals simply take longer to digest, this should be common sense.

all of the protein u eat doesnt instantly appear at the place where it is absorbed or 'used', instead it trickles in a bit at a time.

the only times u would exceed the body's capacity is if u eat so much u throw up or get diarrhea, then u can say u exceeded ur capacity.

asto_86
01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
I spent 2 months eating 5lbs of chicken breast in one sitting when I was testing IFing. Every bit is used. If you eat it, the body will put it somewhere.

arcanyr
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I guess that pretty much cleared things up for me. And by "absorb" or "use" I guess i meant protein synthesis but thanks for the responses.