PDA

View Full Version : Serious question to all religious folk

Blizzard589
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I want it answered directly to me.

How can you believe your faith and follow your holy book if there are many other religions who believe their faith just as strongly as you believe yours?

It just blows my mind.

Godfrd824
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

How can you believe your faith and follow your holy book if there are many other religions who believe their faith just as strongly as you believe yours?

It just blows my mind.

It's faith.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vaSJX91aU2M/SaebCwk0vjI/AAAAAAAACB8/J-eU1YXor-Y/s400/political-pictures-pope-benedict-xvi-faith-bulletproof.jpg

wildphucker
01-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Because the bible is the word of God.

The others are not the word of God.

StrongPostBrah
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Because saying "my religion is true" does not make it true.

brenden87
01-21-2011, 02:26 AM
they go with their gut instinct.

mjnmj
01-22-2011, 09:57 AM
That's a great question... I can't really compare what I believe to a "religion" as it's more of a personal relationship. I can't understand "religions" that are based on some type of routine or idol worship when I have a Creator who sacrificed so much for me, and I love him for it.
I just never think what I have and what others practice are on the same level, so a comparison of faith isn't possible.

AKR
01-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Because the bible is the word of God.

The others are not the word of God.

lol.

That's a great question... I can't really compare what I believe to a "religion" as it's more of a personal relationship. I can't understand "religions" that are based on some type of routine or idol worship when I have a Creator who sacrificed so much for me, and I love him for it.
I just never think what I have and what others practice are on the same level, so a comparison of faith isn't possible.

So, believing that a god created the universe and rules over it is not a religion? How so? And how does the idea of you having a "personal relationship" validate your religion anymore than any other religion when you still use faith and not evidence, just like them? And what about others who claim to have a personal relationship with their god?

SYRIANKID
01-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Good question. I've answered that specific question here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=482740221&postcount=13

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=482741161&postcount=14

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=482742511&postcount=15

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=482807901&postcount=21

Forge3
01-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Essentially I find the question you ask is not the easiest one to answer. You see I don't think that my faith is grounded in specifics like this is dogma versus that dogma, or these customs, traditions and regulations over another religion. Perhaps because I am more spiritual than religious. And I find gems in other religions. For me the Gospel values of Christ which I don't separate from Christ Himself are what I follow. I found the belief relatively long ago when I was meditating and praying for guidance. In fact I was stuck between two paths. All I wanted was to find the one in my heart that was my calling. Through much tears and vexation I heard within "follow me" and at that moment a great weight was lifted. This doesn't mean life became easy, it is filled with challenges. It means I found a path that is true for me from the inside out.

mjnmj
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
lol.

So, believing that a god created the universe and rules over it is not a religion? How so? And how does the idea of you having a "personal relationship" validate your religion anymore than any other religion when you still use faith and not evidence, just like them? And what about others who claim to have a personal relationship with their god?

1. If you want to call my relationship with my Creator and Savior a religion I guess feel free to.

2. I was not trying to "validate" anything, just talking about how I feel they do not compare.

3. I can not speak as to what "others" you are talking about. Let them speak for themselves please.

4. You seem to spend a lot of time and effort asking questions in the Religious forum.. are you searching for something? I've always found it kind of odd that self proclaimed unbelievers put lots of effort into trying to disprove the existance of God. Why is that?

mistaballoonhan
01-22-2011, 12:00 PM
4. You seem to spend a lot of time and effort asking questions in the Religious forum.. are you searching for something? I've always found it kind of odd that self proclaimed unbelievers put lots of effort into trying to disprove the existance of God. Why is that?

Here ya go.
3rd time I've posted this in the last few days, coming in pretty handy.

Hopefully, Fitnessman will sticky this for us again. I will transfer the FAQ's if he does.

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and start adding stuff, starting with a description from LordDarwin, and then some FAQ's I wrote up in the other thread.

Q: Why do some of you hate god if you don't believe in him? Isn't it true you actually believe but are just angry with him?

A: First off, let me say that not every atheist is passionate about religious topics, or about disprove/condemning any religion in particular. Some really do not care, while some of us are quite passionate about it.

I'm sure many of you religious folks hate other religions. Is this because you believe them to be true or just the opposite? Does an idea have to be true for you to hate it? Do you not all hate the flying spaghetti monster? That certainly doesn't make it real or mean you think it's real, does it? Don't some atheist hate multiple religions and the gods of those religions? If hating a god means we think that god exists, how can that be possible when we hate multiple gods of multiple religions?

Some atheist are angry about certain religions because they are bothered by what they think are lies; they are bothered by ideologies that seem offensive and illogical, and they are bothered by those who follow those religious ideologies and push them on others. No one wants to live in a society where they feel their lives or the lives of others are being unjustly intruded upon.

In the US, Christianity has long dominated society, and many Christians use the government to push their morals on others. This goes far beyond what some consider to be petty instances, such as statements about their god on everyone's money or in everyone's pledge. Although, rarely used, there have been state laws passed banning atheists from holding public office. President George Bush JR has stated that atheists should not be president, and George Bush SR has gone so far as to say that atheists should not be citizens. Government funds for failed sex "education" programs have been appropriated to Christian groups, as well as funding for jails that indoctrinate prisoners but fail to lower repeat offenders. Christians have fought hard to push evolution out of schools, or at least, include unscientific ideas related to creationism in science classes. They have tried to enforce teacher-lead school prayer, and demand children to say a pledge with religious statements. At one time or another, they have outlawed gay sex, and in some areas, they still have laws against sex toys. They have made laws that allow them to freely abuse children in the name of their religion, while others would be committing illegal acts for doing the same things. They also are fighting hard to keep bigotry alive, by not allowing homosexual couples the same rights as them.

There is also a matter of the holidays and the fact that many of them are unaware of the origins and are offended when people try to celebrate for purposes other than what they claim is the true purpose. When people try to acknowledge all holidays by saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas," they claim people are trying to take Christmas away from them. This act of trying to suppress and exclude others while claiming to be persecuted causes many to be upset, beyond just atheists. Some Christians often run around complaining about being oppressed every time someone stands up against the unconstitutional laws Christians are trying to enact. On another level, some of them also indoctrinate their children with their religion, giving them a false education, keeping them in ignorance. This is bad for the children and society as a whole as it creates more citizens that are not properly educated, who will often hold back science and the advancement of society in general. One could also argue that some forms of religious indoctrination do mental harm to children.

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/dildo2.htm
http://www.religioustolerance.org/texas.htm
http://www.religioustolerance.org/istook98.htm
http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=issues_publicschools
http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html
http://www.cnn.com/US/9908/12/kansas.evolution.flap/
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3944/is_200503/ai_n13452478
http://www.sodomy.org/laws/
http://www.robsherman.com/advocacy/060401a.htm

This is not about hating all religious people, nor is it necessarily about hating an actual religion (although, some of us do hate certain religions). Many of us will leave religions alone that leave us and others alone. But when a religion is trying to dominate a society, and is having negative affects, there will be a strong resistance, and for good reason. This does not mean that we all hate everyone of a particular religion. There are people within probably every religion that are not hostile or aggressively trying to dominate those around them.

While we respect some people of many religions, we cannot help that we disagree with the teachings or the overall behavior of those in their religion, and some of us feel we must speak out against them. It has nothing to do with us grudgingly believing these gods are true and everything to do with the actions of those who do.

Again, it should be restated that some atheists are fairly uninterested in religion. Others, aren't so bothered by religion or it's consequences, but are simply interested in discussing theological and philosophical topics. They want to learn about different people's beliefs and engage them in intellectually stimulating conversations about those beliefs.

Harbinger
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Because saying "my religion is true" does not make it true.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2892/derp2.jpg

smokeater
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM

It just blows my mind.

Before I answer I am curious as to why you care what I believe?

mjnmj
01-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Guess i'll have to tell the truth about some of what was posted earlier:

1. In the US, Christianity has long dominated society, and many Christians use the government to push their morals on others.
Truth--The truth is that this country was founded on Christianity, wouldn't that mean it would be dominate?

2. This goes far beyond what some consider to be petty instances, such as statements about their god on everyone's money or in everyone's pledge. Although, rarely used, there have been state laws passed banning atheists from holding public office.
Truth-- see answer to #1, wouldn't Christian statement's and laws be in forcce?

3. President George Bush JR has stated that atheists should not be president, and George Bush SR has gone so far as to say that atheists should not be citizens.
Truth- I'm not sure i ever heard this, but maybe they did say this?

4. Government funds for failed sex "education" programs have been appropriated to Christian groups, as well as funding for jails that indoctrinate prisoners but fail to lower repeat offenders.
Truth- yes, Christian groups sometimes recieve money from the Government. I'm not sure what "fail to lower repeat offenders" means?

5. Christians have fought hard to push evolution out of schools, or at least, include unscientific ideas related to creationism in science classes.
Truth- lies... it's just the opposite. Creation was taught in scchools first, evolution was never pushed out. But Christians do battle to have the truth taught in schools. And speaking of 'scientific" ideas... nothing is more hard to believe than a man coming from a monkey or giraffe..lol

6. They have tried to enforce teacher-lead school prayer, and demand children to say a pledge with religious statements.
truth- lies again, prayer was always in school until sometime around the 60s. And your talking about "demanding" someone to say the pledge??? Really?

7. At one time or another, they have outlawed gay sex, and in some areas, they still have laws against sex toys.
Truth- I like how everything you post is vague such as "at one time or another". Ever heard of sodomy? It was illegal from the get go. All of your statements follow the saame path trying to pretend like Christians just all the sudden "showed up" here in the U.S. and tried to start everyone off on following their ways and laws. The truth is we founded this great country and all the changes have been brought on to bring down those great laws and ways of life.

8. They have made laws that allow them to freely abuse children in the name of their religion, while others would be committing illegal acts for doing the same things.
Truth-- which laws are you speaking of that allow someone to abuse their child?

9. They also are fighting hard to keep bigotry alive, by not allowing homosexual couples the same rights as them.
Truth- Bigotry= A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. --So you are saying that my beliefs or the belief of a Christian is wrong? Doesn't that make you a bigot too? You expect those who disagree with you to be tolerant of your ideals, but you do not give the same in return? LOL The old saying is it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Dude.Jon
01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
1: God inspired my religion and all the other religions to distract people away from the true one.

2: God inspired my religion and people created every other religion, mine is right, theirs is wrong.

3: People created all religions and some feel it like a drug, some need it like an invisible family member reading minds and rubbing backs.

4: God inspired all religions and people just name it different things even though each "inspired" religious book teaches lessons from the one true God

http://boards.fightingamphibians.org/tf2/thumb/129306937043s.jpg

Bahai.Lifter
01-22-2011, 12:58 PM

It just blows my mind.

http://www.bahai.org/dir/beliefs/oneness_religion

Harbinger
01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Guess i'll have to tell the truth about some of what was posted earlier:

1. In the US, Christianity has long dominated society, and many Christians use the government to push their morals on others.
Truth--The truth is that this country was founded on Christianity, wouldn't that mean it would be dominate?

2. This goes far beyond what some consider to be petty instances, such as statements about their god on everyone's money or in everyone's pledge. Although, rarely used, there have been state laws passed banning atheists from holding public office.
Truth-- see answer to #1, wouldn't Christian statement's and laws be in forcce?

3. President George Bush JR has stated that atheists should not be president, and George Bush SR has gone so far as to say that atheists should not be citizens.
Truth- I'm not sure i ever heard this, but maybe they did say this?

4. Government funds for failed sex "education" programs have been appropriated to Christian groups, as well as funding for jails that indoctrinate prisoners but fail to lower repeat offenders.
Truth- yes, Christian groups sometimes recieve money from the Government. I'm not sure what "fail to lower repeat offenders" means?

5. Christians have fought hard to push evolution out of schools, or at least, include unscientific ideas related to creationism in science classes.
Truth- lies... it's just the opposite. Creation was taught in scchools first, evolution was never pushed out. But Christians do battle to have the truth taught in schools. And speaking of 'scientific" ideas... nothing is more hard to believe than a man coming from a monkey or giraffe..lol

6. They have tried to enforce teacher-lead school prayer, and demand children to say a pledge with religious statements.
truth- lies again, prayer was always in school until sometime around the 60s. And your talking about "demanding" someone to say the pledge??? Really?

7. At one time or another, they have outlawed gay sex, and in some areas, they still have laws against sex toys.
Truth- I like how everything you post is vague such as "at one time or another". Ever heard of sodomy? It was illegal from the get go. All of your statements follow the saame path trying to pretend like Christians just all the sudden "showed up" here in the U.S. and tried to start everyone off on following their ways and laws. The truth is we founded this great country and all the changes have been brought on to bring down those great laws and ways of life.

8. They have made laws that allow them to freely abuse children in the name of their religion, while others would be committing illegal acts for doing the same things.
Truth-- which laws are you speaking of that allow someone to abuse their child?

9. They also are fighting hard to keep bigotry alive, by not allowing homosexual couples the same rights as them.
Truth- Bigotry= A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. --So you are saying that my beliefs or the belief of a Christian is wrong? Doesn't that make you a bigot too? You expect those who disagree with you to be tolerant of your ideals, but you do not give the same in return? LOL The old saying is it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

http://i54.tinypic.com/dwfm6b.jpg

DukeOfManlets
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
not every tradition claims to be the ONE TRUE tradition.

"The Truth is a brilliant, many-sided diamond.

The Great Light fills this gem and colors gleam from every side. Mystics, messengers, sages and teachers of all ages, races, and beliefs have spoken of a different face of this common Eternal Truth."

Weightaholic
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
So many people in this thread who absolutely know they have gotten it right....

Harbinger
01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
So many people in this thread who absolutely know they have gotten it right....

Every single one of them is 100% right.

Pastier911
01-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Here ya go.
3rd time I've posted this in the last few days, coming in pretty handy.

you expect people to read through that bs? he asked a question and you copy and paste that huge wall of text? why not actually say something in your own words.

this question doesn't necessary apply to me because i dont hold myself to a religion

Muscle Mania Matt
01-22-2011, 02:37 PM

In before "crocaduck"

AlphaDeluxe
01-26-2011, 05:54 AM

It just blows my mind.

Personally, I just believe what makes the most sense to me. I know enough about the different religions of the world and to me, my religion is what I feel makes sense, which is why I'm an Orthodox Christian. No disrespect to other people of different faiths.

Also...There's too much meaning in life for it to be all for nothing...so I can't be an athiest..

Harbinger
01-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Personally, I just believe what makes the most sense to me. I know enough about the different religions of the world and to me, my religion is what I feel makes sense, which is why I'm an Orthodox Christian. No disrespect to other people of different faiths.

Also...There's too much meaning in life for it to be all for nothing...so I can't be an athiest..
Were you born into an orthadox christian family or, did you join the religion later in life?