PDA

View Full Version : HIIT Burpees

bigollie2006
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Anyone ever done a HIIT workout with burpees? I want to start doing them because I know how well they work for conditioning but I cant bust out sets of 20 or 30 yet. I was thinking along the line of do 5, rest for 20 seconds, then repeat until I get to a specific number, probably 30. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

coals
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
They're pretty straight forward. Effective as far as cardio goes.

Another thing to look into, barbell complexes. It's the only cardio i've ever had fun doing, cause it feels like you're lifting. And they absolutely destroyed me, thought i was gonna stroke it out my heart was poundin so hard.

bigollie2006
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
They're pretty straight forward. Effective as far as cardio goes.

Another thing to look into, barbell complexes. It's the only cardio i've ever had fun doing, cause it feels like you're lifting. And they absolutely destroyed me, thought i was gonna stroke it out my heart was poundin so hard.

Yeha I used to do the BEAR in highschool, I got it from T-Nation and it kicked my ass

coals
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I like the cosgrove 8 (the one that he plagiarized from someone else, since he hasn't written a unique piece of literature since he was born)

"Here's one of the most effective Cosgrovian complexes:

Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Bentover Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

On round one, perform 6 reps of each exercise, moving from one exercise to the next, never letting go of the bar, never resting. Remember, you'll finish all six reps of each exercise before moving to the next one.

Rest 90 seconds after the first circuit, then perform 5 reps of each in the next circuit; rest 90 seconds, 4 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 3 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 2 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, and then do 1 rep of each.

Cosgrove says that the entire workout should take about 12 minutes, not counting the time you spend sobbing like a little girl in a purdy pink dress."

source: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physiqu e

bigollie2006
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I like the cosgrove 8 (the one that he plagiarized from someone else, since he hasn't written a unique piece of literature since he was born)

source: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physiqu e

Thank you sir

fedexboxes
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I attempted burpess awhile back and it is pretty demanding because it's a full body workout. I started off doing 20 down to 1, with a 1 minute break between each set. A week later i did 25....

Now, it's been a year since i smoked and i'm in my third week of insanity (haven't seen physical results, but cardio has increased greatly). Just yesterday, i did 30 down to 1 with 30 secs rest between sets and wasn't really tired, although today my chest area feels fried.

chrisau
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Try doing it tabata style.

20 seconds doing them
10 seconds rest

repeat for 8 sets (4 mins total).

In the 20 seconds, just try and do as many as possible. When you get near the end of it you really start to slow down.

Once you can do that easily, just bump up the number of sets.

Phayeser
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Without being flamed, what's a burpee? I'm getting an image of homer Simpson burping in my head and I know I'm far off in left field.

chrisau
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Without being flamed, what's a burpee? I'm getting an image of homer Simpson burping in my head and I know I'm far off in left field.

You can google it for a proper definition but it's basically:

1. Explosive jump
2. Drop into lower squat position with hands next to feet
3. Legs flick back into pushup position
4. (optional pushup)
5. Legs back into lower squat position
6. Repeat.

Edit:

Picture tells 1000 words:

http://www.animated-gif.net/wp-content/uploads/103/burpee-advanced.gif