PDA

View Full Version : wow ireland

craig84
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
"We now have evidence that the Vatican deliberately intervened to order bishops not to turn ****phile priests over to law enforcement," she said. "And for civil lawsuits, this letter shows what victims have been saying for dozens and dozens of years: What happened to them involved a concerted cover-up that went all the way to the top."

To this day, the Vatican has not endorsed any of the Irish church's three major policy documents since 1996 on safeguarding children from clerical abuse. Irish taxpayers, rather than the church, have paid most of the euro1.5 billion ($2 billion) to more than 14,000 abuse claimants dating back to the 1940s.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110118/ap_on_re_eu/eu_ireland_catholic_abuse

why would the gov allow the taxpayers to shoulder most of the burden when the church was the cause for 2 billion usd worth of claims in ireland?

Larfie
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
why would the gov allow the taxpayers to shoulder most of the burden when the church was the cause for 2 billion usd worth of claims in ireland?

Because in a predominately catholic country the government are probably afraid to attack the 'people's church' for fear of a negative public response, although I don't quite believe this to be the case I do believe that politicians think along these line. Also the Vatican is a state and one country trying to force another to pay out retribution money would be a very drawn out lengthy process with minimal results.

slimjim7012
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I can't believe people still allow the Catholic church to get away with anything.

Europe has been trolled by the CC for so many centuries and it's still happening.

GrokTheCube
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
inb4 interpol warrant for pope

danielMSF
01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
inb4 interpol warrant for pope

Well he's dead so...

ShoulderRoll
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Because in a predominately catholic country the government are probably afraid to attack the 'people's church' for fear of a negative public response, although I don't quite believe this to be the case I do believe that politicians think along these line. Also the Vatican is a state and one country trying to force another to pay out retribution money would be a very drawn out lengthy process with minimal results.

We aren't that religious as a country anymore. Only old women would be outraged if the government spoke out against the Vatican and forced the Church to compensate victims.

However, the state is just as/more responsible as the Church. Children were raped and abused in state care homes and orphanages. The irish government let the Catholic church do whatever it wanted in Ireland and never did anything to stop it happening