PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Pouncey playing like a vet

iamgenus
01-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Saw this posted on another board and thought it was pretty ballsy.

I'm sure it happens more than we notice but this video does clearly show him moving the ball up the field before it's snapped after the ref spots it.

Epx1dXu7uiU

It's not much but all it takes is 1 extra inch to make a first down.

newlifter87
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
don't see how it would have mattered at all if the play had not been stopped and at the point he did it he didn't know it would be.

thegenerel
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
the ball still has to travel that distance backwards and the oline is set in their stances.

iamgenus
01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
the ball still has to travel that distance backwards and the oline is set in their stances.

First of all I think it's a smart move. Second....if the ball is further up the field, you obviously don't need to move it as far.

If the ball is moved up, the OL lines up around where the ball is spotted so Ben takes the snap closer to the first down marker.

newlifter87
01-17-2011, 07:31 PM
First of all I think it's a smart move. Second....if the ball is further up the field, you obviously don't need to move it as far.

If the ball is moved up, the OL lines up around where the ball is spotted so Ben takes the snap closer to the first down marker.

thats what I am saying though, he would have had to wizarded that the play would be stopped for it to have any real value.

Benchencurlen
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I've been praising Pouncey all year

Here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stompin_Tom
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
he moved the ball away from him. him and the rest of the players didn't move further ahead.

iamgenus
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
he moved the ball away from him. him and the rest of the players didn't move further ahead.

Like I said...not a big deal to me and I think it's actually a smart move and other guys probably do the same but on a QB sneak every bit helps and having the ball meet the qbs hand closer to the 1st down marker does help.

If it was a regular snap and they ran the ball or passed it's nothing.

mtomjr14
01-17-2011, 07:53 PM
he did that at UF too.

SteezeFactory
01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Only way that actually helps Pitt is when the play is stopped liked that and the OL can move up a few inches when they get in their stances again. Had the play not been stopped it would not have made any difference, QB sneak or not:

-Pouncey and the rest of the OL get in their stance
-Pouncey moves the ball forward a few inches
-Pouncey and OL are still in the exact same spot, his arm (and the ball) are just a few inches forward
-Ben is therefore in the same spot because Pouncey's body never moved forward
-Nothing changes

speedycon7
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Only way that actually helps Pitt is when the play is stopped liked that and the OL can move up a few inches when they get in their stances again. Had the play not been stopped it would not have made any difference, QB sneak or not:

-Pouncey and the rest of the OL get in their stance
-Pouncey moves the ball forward a few inches
-Pouncey and OL are still in the exact same spot, his arm (and the ball) are just a few inches forward
-Ben is therefore in the same spot because Pouncey's body never moved forward
-Nothing changes

That's not completely true because when Pouncey ran up to line he stood closer to the ball more over top of it and then moved it forward. So his body is slightly closer to the line of scrimmage and so is Ben's. You are right about the OL though cause they are already set. Most centers do this and I've only seen it called once when a center moved the ball literally like a yard and a half up.

Budly69
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Is this a serious thread? The entire O-line is set in the position they should have been when the ball was spotted, Pouncey just moved the ball forward as he extended his arm to go into his 3 point stance. This sort of thing happens all the damn time in every concievable scenario, the Steelers gained absolutely nothing by him moving the ball pre snap. If this is the reason you think Pouncey is "playing like a vet" you have no god damn business watching football, Pouncey is playing like a vet because he has incredible savvy for the game as a rookie. Honestly I cant believe this is even a topic of debate.

trek_6k
01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
This happens every single snap of every single game.

SteezeFactory
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
That's not completely true because when Pouncey ran up to line he stood closer to the ball more over top of it and then moved it forward. So his body is slightly closer to the line of scrimmage and so is Ben's. You are right about the OL though cause they are already set. Most centers do this and I've only seen it called once when a center moved the ball literally like a yard and a half up.

I don't watch Pitt play but he probably does that on ever snap, center's do the same sh*t over and over and over so I would be willing to bet that is just part of his routine and not him trying to cheat up a couple inches.

Big7Ben86
01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
well that makes 1 person on our oline playing like a vet

Budly69
01-17-2011, 09:14 PM

15 years from now the Steelers will look like absolute geniuses for drafting him. Pouncey/Suh will definitely go down as the best players of their draft.

kethnaab
01-17-2011, 09:17 PM

*sigh*