PDA

View Full Version : Important Diet Tip

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I have been reading this forum alot lately and I keep coming across people who dont like cheat days. I think cheat days or cheat meals are the most important part of someones diet.

Look, for alot of people, just upping and changing the way they eat is a huge deal, these are lifelong habits for some. I for one FRIGGIN LOOVE cheeseburgers. Now since I am trying to lose weight I know I shouldnt eat them, but when all I have had is good healthy food all week, I believe its important to indulge and eat something you like. Never mind that it is probably not the thing you SHOULD eat, but its something you like and theres no reason not to enjoy yourself once in awhile and break the monotonous routines of fatloss.

BTW I am not saying to go crazy and eat 8 cheeseburgers or a whole pizza I am just saying you dont HAVE to cut all the bad foods out to lose weight.

lee__d
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
agreed.

dont binge,
fit "bad" foods into your macros,
???
profit

xNxN
01-17-2011, 10:10 AM
If cheat days/meals give you the psychological strength you need for the next week, then is a win-win situation.

Obviously, if you dont need them, your progress will be faster.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
If cheat days/meals give you the psychological strength you need for the next week, then is a win-win situation.

Obviously, if you dont need them, your progress will be faster.

Agreed, but I believe once you quit dieting you will still have those tendencies to eat the foods you like, learning to control how much you eat of the bad food is just as important as healthy food IMO because living a 100% healthy lifestyle is just not realistic in the fast paced world we live in today.

ChrisMTL
01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
totally agree !
Have a good one.

Shr3dJunki3
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Eat cheat food every day
less cheat food = cut
More cheat food = bulk
lift weights
get jacked.

MCrow
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, cheat meals are great for being able to stay on a diet for the longterm. I've found that if I have a cheat meal once in a while (for me that's about 1 every week or two) that it keeps me from really craving bad foods and prevents having a blowout. Having a structured cheat meal like a cheeseburger and fries makes life easier to live from a food stand point.

I'm a big propenent of learning to eat ALL FOODS in moderation, not just healthy foods. It's important for longterm success to be able to know what moderation is and how to balance the bad foods with the good foods.

Generally, I'll keep in mind that I'll be eating a "bad" meal. So, my macros for the day may go out the window and I'm probably going to go over by a 200-500 calories but it's not a total blowout. I also set my cheat meals for the weekend so that I can go out to diner more easily with friends and family and not give off the idea I'm on some nutty diet or something. I've gotten questions like "how are you losing weight when you still eat cheeseburgers". Well, they are structured treats that are built into my weekly calories. Sometimes I chose to use those extra calories sometimes I don't.

gbone74
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
By a lot of peoples definitions I cheat nearly everyday.as i am typing now my tea is a chicken fillet burger and 200 calories of fries.rest of the day was oats,eggs,tuna,banana and protein shakes

But by the end of the day I will be around 2000 calories and 200g protein plus my efas.plus i did back and biceps for an hour and took the dogs on a long walk. Job done

For me i define a cheat by overconsumption not moderate consumption of any one food

MCrow
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
By a lot of peoples definitions I cheat nearly everyday.as i am typing now my tea is a chicken fillet burger and 200 calories of fries.rest of the day was oats,eggs,tuna,banana and protein shakes

But by the end of the day I will be around 2000 calories and 200g protein plus my efas.plus i did back and biceps for an hour and took the dogs on a long walk. Job done

For me i define a cheat by overconsumption not moderate consumption of any one food

My definition it that a cheat meal is signicantly more calories than your normal meal and/or puts you over your set daily calorie goals. So, if you are eating 1800 and losing weight and typically have about 500 calorie main meals and eat one that is 700-800 to me that's a cheat meal. It's not the contents so much for me, it's the bottom line for the day. IMO, you can have a cheat meal and still be at or below maintenance. To me it's more about indulging a bit but doing so responsibly.

Heck, I had a DQ Blizzard yesterday that probably had more calories in it than any meal I had in the last month.

cyco85
01-17-2011, 11:05 AM
It's also helpful if you learn to cheat with foods that aren't "that" bad. I ate a **** ton at TGI Friday's Jack Daniel's Chicken and All you can eat shrimp with sweet potato fries and baked beans... came in at around 2000 calories and I had 6 refills on the shrimp (deep fried breaded of course). Before that was oatmeal and a whey/PB shake at only 330 calories with a morning workout and a night workout. Under 2500 for the day...still at a deficit, sounds good to me. Compare that to someone who cheats with sweets, you could consume 2000 calories and not be as satisfied...or feel like working out after you eat it.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I only share because I just recently realized weightloss doesn't have to be an all or nothing process. I always used to feel SO bad if I ate something I shouldnt have on a cut, but now I realize is unrealistic and leads to failure because it turns your eating habits into a diet. I have found the longer I am "cutting" the more its just eating normal to me and its not really a diet.

alexl53
01-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Yea, goin along with what cyco said..."cheat" meals don't have to be bad. A cheeseburger isn't a bad meal. When was fat and protein considered bad? We evolved on animal-based sources of food. That's one reason for our advanced brain development. The enriched bun is what's bad, but it's not gonna kill you. I'll have a cheeseburger a day on a bulk if I want...and just cut carbs when cutting. No big deal.

alexl53
01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
I always used to feel SO bad if I ate something I shouldnt have on a cut, but now I realize is unrealistic and leads to failure because it turns your eating habits into a diet. I have found the longer I am "cutting" the more its just eating normal to me and its not really a diet.

Umm...contradictory? You advocate cheat meals, but then say your cutting diet becomes fine with you. I rarely ever eat any desserts anytime on a cut and only do sometimes if I'm out with friends or family. Cheat meals aren't for everyone. I'd prefer not having any donuts or ice cream/cheat days over having a few on a designated "cheat" day.

sorrow87
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

If you are on a diet you should stick to it as close as you can. There is no reason you can't go out to eat at a restaurant and stick to your diet. ANY place you go will offer a serving of protein such as fish, beef, or chicken. Also most will offer healthy sides such as cottage cheese, vegetables, brown rice, etc. Applebees has a 500 calorie menu, outback serves chicken, fish - you get the idea.

For some people one cheat meal can lead to another and another, next thing they know months fly by and they wake up 10, 20, or even 30 plus more pounds heavier (srs). I suppose if you can cheat, deal with the immense amounts of guilt that may follow, do a very intense cardio session the next day, and immediately get back on your diet you should be okay.

For most I would recommend no. There is no reason to have a cheat meal. That meal is cruel and harsh to your body. No matter how many cheeseburgers or cheesecakes you eat you will never be satisifed. That one bite will not solve or help anything. It is a poor excuse for a lack of willpower. Would you suggest a nascar racer to secretly add NOS to their exhaust in order to win a race? No, that would be unfair and disqualify them. So why suggest a dieter to do the same.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Umm...contradictory? You advocate cheat meals, but then say your cutting diet becomes fine with you. I rarely ever eat any desserts anytime on a cut and only do sometimes if I'm out with friends or family. Cheat meals aren't for everyone. I'd prefer not having any donuts or ice cream/cheat days over having a few on a designated "cheat" day.

What I am saying is even on a cut "cheat" meals are fine as long as you dont gorge yourself. They wont make or break you if its in moderation, my point is that you can be on a cut and eat foods some might say are unhealthy and still get your goal.

solilopop
01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Lol. yeah guys. don't compensate cheat for binge. I learned my lesson this weekend.

had like a foodgasm seeing my medium 2 topping dominos pizza. It was 6.99/pie. I finished 2 in 2 days. all on my own.. those weren't cheat days... that was binging. Not good. i was 171 last wednesdays, when i checked my weight yesterday i as 174 :(

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

If you are on a diet you should stick to it as close as you can. There is no reason you can't go out to eat at a restaurant and stick to your diet. ANY place you go will offer a serving of protein such as fish, beef, or chicken. Also most will offer healthy sides such as cottage cheese, vegetables, brown rice, etc. Applebees has a 500 calorie menu, outback serves chicken, fish - you get the idea.

For some people one cheat meal can lead to another and another, next thing they know months fly by and they wake up 10, 20, or even 30 plus more pounds heavier (srs). I suppose if you can cheat, deal with the immense amounts of guilt that may follow, do a very intense cardio session the next day, and immediately get back on your diet you should be okay.

For most I would recommend no. There is no reason to have a cheat meal. That meal is cruel and harsh to your body. No matter how many cheeseburgers or cheesecakes you eat you will never be satisifed. That one bite will not solve or help anything. It is a poor excuse for a lack of willpower. Would you suggest a nascar racer to secretly add NOS to their exhaust in order to win a race? No, that would be unfair and disqualify them. So why suggest a dieter to do the same.

This is the same exact all or nothing talk that lead to failure so many times for me. I will never be satisfied? Really dude cmon now, when I eat a cheeseburger after I wanted one I definitely feel satisfied. I have failed so many times thinking like that. Once I realized it wasnt that extreme, I have dropped 35lbs since November 28th and continue to steadily drop 1-2lbs a week, healthier than I have been in a long time.

gbone74
01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Lol. yeah guys. don't compensate cheat for binge. I learned my lesson this weekend.

had like a foodgasm seeing my medium 2 topping dominos pizza. It was 6.99/pie. I finished 2 in 2 days. all on my own.. those weren't cheat days... that was binging. Not good. i was 171 last wednesdays, when i checked my weight yesterday i as 174 :(

If you incorporated a couple of slices into your diet more often then you wouldnt drill 2 entire ones off when you cant resist anymore

sorrow87
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
This is the same exact all or nothing talk that lead to failure so many times for me. I will never be satisfied? Really dude cmon now, when I eat a cheeseburger after I wanted one I definitely feel satisfied. I have failed so many times thinking like that. Once I realized it wasnt that extreme, I have dropped 35lbs since November 28th and continue to steadily drop 1-2lbs a week, healthier than I have been in a long time.

Well you are one of the few then. My life is chicken brocolli and oatmeal and I wouldn't have it any other way. Results>temporary satisfactation.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Well you are one of the few then. My life is chicken brocolli and oatmeal and I wouldn't have it any other way. Results>temporary satisfactation.

Like the poster said above, if you eat sensible during your cut you wont have the same urge to binge eat

gbone74
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM

What kind of results have you had?

sorrow87
01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
What kind of results have you had?

120 lbs. lost.

gbone74
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
120 lbs. lost.

you dont think you could have done the same being a little less anal though?

gbone74
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM

is this post yours?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130682303

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Like the poster said above, if you eat sensible during your cut you wont have the same urge to binge eat

The whole point, "Eating a Healthy Lifestyle" is about not having/craving Cheat foods at all, whilst having no desire for them.

People who cheat, are usually craving all week thinking about what their next meal is going to be. Rather than having a lifestyle that you're mind doesn't have to requre those thoughts.

It's a bad thought proccess you got there OP IMO.

ZFour89
01-17-2011, 12:01 PM
120 lbs. lost.

I would also like to point out that a good cheat or binge day can jump start your metabolism.
I'll plateau once a month and just stuff my face all day with whatever the hell I want. Sure I may eat 3500 over maintenance that day, and gain a lb. But then I'm always back on track untill I stop showing improvement. I'll trade that brief 1 lb gain for 7 more lost that month any day.

cyco85
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Water weight. Each medium ham/pineapple (my favorite) Domino's pizza only has 1960 calories. Round it up to 2000. If I planned on eating it, I would have whey/PB and oatmeal totaling ~500 calories, then eat that, still around maintenance. No harm, no foul!

sorrow87
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
is this post yours?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130682303

No comment.

wengl
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM

I had 2 medium Dominos and one of their lava cakes for dinner on Saturday. On Sunday I could still see my abs, had a good workout, and ate normally. Today I dropped the 3lb of water weight I gained and everything is back to normal. Not the end of the world. I like this forum because there's a lot of great advice and helpful input, but many of you are bordering on eating disorder.

frank11
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
There are no cheat days, only 1-day bulks.

sanman89
01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Love my 1 cheat day a wk & still losing 1-2 pounds a wk.Down 8 pounds in 6 wks with my cheat day.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
I am not talking about eating 2000 calories over maintenance, I am speaking of a meal some might now think is healthy.

Say I got through a week, very very strict diet, strict workouts, and I feel like eating a pack of gummy worms from the gas station. Is it going to RUIN your week of hard work? NO. I dont know ANYONE who eats 100% healthy all of the time, its unrealistic. Being on the go and busy alot makes it terribly difficult to eat like that. Will your results be better? Maybe a tiny bit, but then again it might not affect it at all.

Now if you go out and drink 30 beers and eat mcdonalds on the weekend then thats a different story but again I'm not talking about binging.

I think it gives you a psychological advantage over a strict diet just because when you look at food you can think, I shouldnt eat that, but if I do it will be in moderation. When you go around thinking about what you CANT eat all the time its only a matter of time before you break down and gorge yourself with it.

After all, moderation is what diets come down to anyways

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
I am not talking about eating 2000 calories over maintenance, I am speaking of a meal some might now think is healthy.

Say I got through a week, very very strict diet, strict workouts, and I feel like eating a pack of gummy worms from the gas station. Is it going to RUIN your week of hard work? NO. I dont know ANYONE who eats 100% healthy all of the time, its unrealistic. Being on the go and busy alot makes it terribly difficult to eat like that. Will your results be better? Maybe a tiny bit, but then again it might not affect it at all.

Now if you go out and drink 30 beers and eat mcdonalds on the weekend then thats a different story but again I'm not talking about binging.

I think it gives you a psychological advantage over a strict diet just because when you look at food you can think, I shouldnt eat that, but if I do it will be in moderation. When you go around thinking about what you CANT eat all the time its only a matter of time before you break down and gorge yourself with it.

After all, moderation is what diets come down to anyways

Any person who is healthy, healthy eater DOES NOT CRAVE FOR **** FOODS LIKE YOU ARE!

That's the whole point of eating healthy OMFG, how hard is that?

Cheat days is stupid.... it's not healthy.

You just eat those things if you got no options.

MCrow
01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Any person who is healthy, healthy eater DOES NOT CRAVE FOR **** FOODS LIKE YOU ARE!

BULL ****.

You never, ever see a food that you really enjoy and crave it? You must not be human.

solilopop
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
BULL ****.

You never, ever see a food that you really enjoy and crave it? You must not be human.

he's not human, he's a manlet.

Lulz

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 03:21 PM

Lulz

lol the manlet thing cracks me up

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Lulz

I crave for asian butholes, like solipops.

Invite him over for pizza = Interested = Profit?

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
BULL ****.

I guess i got a thing for Sushi...

All in all tho, when i get pushed to eat ice-cream/ sugar foods , I have to fight off a sweet tooth over the next week.

If you are going to cheat, sugar is still best to be avoided..

Pizza, burgers, chips isn't so bad as to sugar.

Sugar is just like caffiene, it has withdrawal affects.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Wrong. Last time I checked even healthy people eat meat. Goddamn it why wont anyone listen? IM NOT TALKING ABOUT CHEAT DAYS!!!!!!!!!

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM

All in all tho, when i get pushed to eat ice-cream/ sugar foods , I have to fight off a sweet tooth over the next week.

Agreed, sugar is something I generally stay away from I was just using it as an example

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Agreed, sugar is something I generally stay away from I was just using it as an example

yeah, if you ever get stuck on sugar withdrawals with raging cravings (leading to a binge)

Supplement in VERY large Doses.

L-glutamine + Cinnamon + Chromium + B supplements with every meal.

It definatly helps to have these handy if you get yourself cought.

MCrow
01-17-2011, 03:36 PM

On that, I can agree. Most of my "cheats" are more or less on protein and fat foods.

mavlax20
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I had my first cheat meal on Saturday night...Red Lobster. I had a ceasar salad, jumbo coconut shrimp, a baked potato, and part of the chocolate cake. Along with 3 of the cheddar bay biscuits. Needless to say, I didn't finish all of the shrimp, and I feel I would've been able to eat everything before I started to lose the weight, so that is a positive. I honestly wasn't even hungry the next day until about 4 pm.

Anyways, I am a fan of the cheat meal because in my opinion, it helps me keep my sanity, even though I've only had one. I can say that having that one meal to look forward to is something that helps me get through the week with the diet I am on. I just remind myself what there is at the end of the week.

MCrow
01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I should add here that there are people that I don't think should have cheat days in the beginning.

If you were a compulsive binger before starting your weightloss program, then it may not be a good thing to do it in the beginning. My problem wasn't binging, it was eating a little over maintenance everday for several years that got where I am today.
Not that gaining it slow is really any better than doing it fast but I think there's a different mental aspect between the two.

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I should add here that there are people that I don't think should have cheat days in the beginning.

If you were a compulsive binger before starting your weightloss program, then it may not be a good thing to do it in the beginning. My problem wasn't binging, it was eating a little over maintenance everday for several years that got where I am today.
Not that gaining it slow is really any better than doing it fast but I think there's a different mental aspect between the two.

^^^
This, as you lose the weight slower, you don't even feel the need nor think about a cheat meal because you're always satisfied.

As said, i don't see normal food as a binge as aposed to sweets ect.

Drinking diet coke is a binge to me, Setting youself up for disaster by blocking seretonin and exitotoxins.

bigollie2006
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
i like where this thread went

scrossmaggard
01-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Cutting sure sucks for a fat guy! Any tips?

BlackHeart.au
01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Cutting sure sucks for a fat guy! Any tips?

Read.

fni
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
The whole point, "Eating a Healthy Lifestyle" is about not having/craving Cheat foods at all, whilst having no desire for them.

People who cheat, are usually craving all week thinking about what their next meal is going to be. Rather than having a lifestyle that you're mind doesn't have to requre those thoughts.

It's a bad thought proccess you got there OP IMO.

I think he's trying to say that eating something that isn't considered "healthy" once in awhile is not going to kill you. You can enjoy eating healthy but if you have a craving for a cheeseburger or a slice of pizza, do it. It's important for us to not over think and dwell on your next cheat meal. At one point I was looking forward to my next cheat meal every week and it made me go insane. I actually ended up binging because I kept thinking about cheat meals so much.

SOJA
01-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Go thin crust next time, easy on the sauce, and half the cheese. Still tastes good but it's about 50 calories less a slice. Tell them to load on the veggies.

Burrown
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm so glad I came upon this, I usually cheat small once every two weeks on the weekends particularly.

But no McDonalds, that ****'s disgusting anyhow!

jwpawlak
01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
We all live in the real world. Bad foods are gonna be all around us and pretty hard to ignore. A cheat meal relieves a lot of the stress that goes along with dieting once you get over the guilt.
Honestly, I'm always thinking about my next meal and I don't mean cheats. Coming from 20 years of constant cheat meals I just have to change your "food addiction" to healthier choices with a little fix here and there for sanity.

trance__dreamer
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
agreed.

dont binge,
fit "bad" foods into your macros,
???
profit

http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/underpants-gnomes.png

Rval86
01-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Like you said, I think it really depends on the person. For some/a lot of people a cheat meal can be have a great psychological benefit. If they are allowed to have a planned cheat meal once in a while they are much less likely crash and go on a 3 day binge ruining their diet. Personally i like to refeed with calculated macros rather than cheat but it really depends on the person. If you have cut before and feel confident that you will be able to resist the cravings than a cheat is probably not necessary but for most people i highly recommend it.

solilopop
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Recap on thread:

I am not saying to go crazy and eat 8 cheeseburgers or a whole pizza I am just saying you dont HAVE to cut all the bad foods out to lose weight.

TrainHardOrQuit
01-18-2011, 12:42 AM
I have been reading this forum alot lately and I keep coming across people who dont like cheat days. I think cheat days or cheat meals are the most important part of someones diet.

Look, for alot of people, just upping and changing the way they eat is a huge deal, these are lifelong habits for some. I for one FRIGGIN LOOVE cheeseburgers. Now since I am trying to lose weight I know I shouldnt eat them, but when all I have had is good healthy food all week, I believe its important to indulge and eat something you like. Never mind that it is probably not the thing you SHOULD eat, but its something you like and theres no reason not to enjoy yourself once in awhile and break the monotonous routines of fatloss.

BTW I am not saying to go crazy and eat 8 cheeseburgers or a whole pizza I am just saying you dont HAVE to cut all the bad foods out to lose weight.

One of my fav cheat meals is buying 7-8 cheeseburgers...toss the buns of 5 of them and make 2 HUGE cheeseburgers.

Not very healthy but very satisfying lol

.Geeza
01-18-2011, 02:35 AM
One of my fav cheat meals is buying 7-8 cheeseburgers...toss the buns of 5 of them and make 2 HUGE cheeseburgers.

Not very healthy but very satisfying lol

Gotta love the protein though.

I had 2 omeletes the other night filled with cheese and ham, a ton of fat and protein and pretty low on carbs followed by a good workout, so good times!

I think its better if you can enhance your meal, I only really eat tuna and chicken everyday and man it was doing my ****ing head in, adding some tablespoons of awesome sauces i found it easier to stick to my diet cleanly.

dont mean you can enjoy the odd sub every now and then however!