PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets grant Nets permission to talk to Melo

WheyneNewton
01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
this could be Melo's last game as a nug tonight

Throughout this entire, bizarre process, there have been some who kept questioning if any of this was true or just a fabrication of the New York media. After all, Carmelo Anthony never said he wanted to be traded from the Nuggets. And technically that could still be true. But a big piece fell into place late Sunday. David Aldridge of NBA.com reports:

A league source said Sunday that the Denver Nuggets have granted the New Jersey Nets permission to speak directly with Carmelo Anthony about the proposed trade that would send Anthony to New Jersey, and about potentially signing the three-year extension that the Nets insist Anthony agree to before they agree to make the deal…

…Under normal rules, direct contact with Anthony by Nets officials, up to and including majority owner Mikhail Prokhorov, would be tampering. But if Denver gives New Jersey permission to contact Anthony, the Nets can make their sales pitch to Anthony about their team without being subject to penalties. Prohkorov, according to league sources, believes he can sell Anthony on the Nets if he can get in front of him.

via Nuggets grant Nets permission to speak with Anthony | NBA.com.

And here come the big guns.

The Nets has previously felt they could get Anthony to sign even without having to meet with Prokhorov. But with reports coming out late last week that Melo was still unconvinced on signing, despite a framework of the now-goal-line three-way trade in place, the Nets apparently felt that the time had come to take it to the next level.

It’s also a huge step for Denver, who is surrendering its last vestiges of leverage. They can still reject any deal, but if the three-way should fall through following the meeting due to Anthony’s reluctance, their control over future deals will be compromised as teams will be able to prey upon a revealed engagement in trading the superstar. This has been the case for months anyway, but Masai Ujiri and company have insisted on attempting to maintain the appearance of being in control of this situation (Read: They have no hand!)

So now the Russian will speak to the superstar, and we’re all held captive for probably another week.

Oh, goody.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/16/nets-granted-permission-to-speak-with-melo/

sups31
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
we gonna act like melo wants to play for the fukkin nets?

AXnyc
01-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Melo will probably tell him he won't sign with the Nets, but Nets will trade for him anyway and hope for the best.

Melo would be retarded to leave the Nuggets for the Nets if he wants to win a championship or even make the playoffs.

sliksilver
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
just get it over with already...

burdenedbeast98
01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
melo + Amare and the knicks have a team good enough for east finals (srs)

WheyneNewton
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
melo + Amare and the knicks have a team good enough for east finals (srs)

Amare/Melo/Chandler/Fields/Felton would be amazing if they can get him for Galo, some irrelevant players and draft picks

GetBigyo
01-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Mark my words...

Melo will NOT sign with the Nyets.

cheerupemokid
01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
we gonna act like melo wants to play for the fukkin nets?

His agents are hardselling the nets. Plus, they are going to Brooklyn, where he was born.

WheyneNewton
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
His agents are hardselling the nets. Plus, they are going to Brooklyn, where he was born.

I doubt he wants to wait until he's 30 to be on a contender again

GetBigyo
01-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I doubt he wants to wait until he's 30 to be on a contender again

Nets BK arena will be finished June 2012. He would be 27.

Technically he would only have to play a half a season in NJ since a lockout is almost certain for next season. He's still not going to sign with them.

skizz
01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Inb4 Melo is forced to sign with the Nets after Prokhorov threatens him and tells him the real cause of his sister's death

dankydank
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Melo and Billips are definitely leaving after tonights game
just a matter of when and to which team

I think itll be NJ since theyre moving to Brooklyn and getting some solid players

sups31
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Nets BK arena will be finished June 2012. He would be 27.

Technically he would only have to play a half a season in NJ since a lockout is almost certain for next season. He's still not going to sign with them.

Who gives a fukk about the arena, the team is garbage now and will be garbage when they move

WheyneNewton
01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Melo and Billips are definitely leaving after tonights game
just a matter of when and to which team

I think itll be NJ since theyre moving to Brooklyn and getting some solid players

yea, kind of odd that they sat for the last 10min, yea they were down 12+ but still kind of odd

m0fo
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Who gives a fukk about the arena, the team is garbage now and will be garbage when they move
Man NJ will be trash if they make the trade. They'll have a line up of

Billups-Washed up and would probably want out of NJ
Hamilton-Washed up
Anthony
Humphries?-Lol?
Lopez-Regressed

With a powerhouse bench of Sasha Vujajic and Farmar and almost no draft picks for the following years. Don't see how NJ is a better situation than NY.

cheerupemokid
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Man NJ will be trash if they make the trade. They'll have a line up of

Billups-Washed up and would probably want out of NJ
Hamilton-Washed up
Anthony
Humphries?-Lol?
Lopez-Regressed

With a powerhouse bench of Sasha Vujajic and Farmar and almost no draft picks for the following years. Don't see how NJ is a better situation than NY.

Melo likes Billups and he'd presumably be a stop gap before ny and brooklyn battled for paul, if the nets have any sense anyway.

Melo's agents want in with the russian and the deal let's them make another one of their clients happy in Rip.

Melo's agents are actively trying to make this happen and are in his ear. Prepare yourselves for the worst knicks fans.

GetBigyo
01-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony tells Y! Sports that "reports" and "speculation" about him meeting with the Nets are "wrong."

Melo: "I don't want to talk to nobody. I let the front office handle that type of stuff."

hahaha

schnappi
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
i feel like melo and billups would look terrible in nets uniforms
it just wouldnt sit right with me
honestly i don't think theyre better off without the trade and going for someone else
signed,
a casual nets fan

JTrain306
01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
hahaha

"I don't want to talk to nobody"

So.... he wants to talk to somebody?

GetBigyo
01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Carmelo Anthony said after Sunday's game that he isn't aware of a meeting with the Nets and has no desire to meet with them, saying, "I don’t want to talk to nobody. I let the front office handle that type of stuff."
"The Nuggets pay me. I can't talk to those people," said Melo. When asked if this was his final game with the Nuggets, he replied, "No. I'm going to play Wednesday against Oklahoma City, then against the Lakers, then Indiana." The plot has certainly thickened, and it's possible that Melo is adamant enough about playing for New York that he won't sign an extension and instead ink a new deal as a free agent, CBA be damned.
Source: Chris Dempsey on Twitter

Goodnight sweet Nets.