PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys recommend that I eat as much on my off days?

Rocket3000
01-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi guys I do a 5 day split mon - fri

sat and sun are my rest days, I kind of just laze around at home on those days, and do not pay much attention to my diet on those days, I dont count nutrients like I do on my on days anyway.

Do you recommend that I eat as much on my off days as my on days?

BankWalker
01-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Are you trying to drop body fat? I typically eat the same amount on the days that I don't lift. There's a lot of people here that eat more on training days. I suppose it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

MikeK46
01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Adjust caloric level based on physical activity.

Stay the same amount above/below maintenance on all days. If less physical activity, then lower accordingly.

yieldtonothing
01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
i'm curious if there's anyone out there who advocates eating more on rest days.

reasoning being- your muscles grow on rest days, feed them more.

i'm not saying that's what i believe but i'm curious if there's anything to it.

but op, most people say eat the same amount every day (unless you're cheating)

Rocket3000
01-14-2011, 09:39 PM

Stay the same amount above/below maintenance on all days. If less physical activity, then lower accordingly.

thanks for that

MikeK46
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
i'm curious if there's anyone out there who advocates eating more on rest days.

i'm not saying that's what i believe but i'm curious if there's anything to it.

but op, most people say eat the same amount every day (unless you're cheating)

The objective of a bulk is to stay in a sufficient surplus every day. There's no reason to eat even more than your normal surplus simply because it's a rest day.

You won't be growing so much that your normal surplus will be too little ;)

adamrochester
01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
this

if you had a complete rest dya i would dropo carbs buy 20%

AlwaysTryin
01-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I don't change a thing, rest day or not

No point in my mind. It all averages out

shambo99
01-15-2011, 12:45 AM
^agreed

I dont think there is any point really, you can do it but just seems like a lot of extra hassle, when i prefer to keep things simple and just hit my macros everyday.

iversonmourning
01-15-2011, 06:25 AM
I always think of this question myself, but honestly it keeps it easier if you just keep it the same and eat as you normally would. Take today for instance. I worked out m-f for an hour and a half weights weights and an hour cardio (Prepping for a show March 12th). Today I am planning on 20-30 mins HIIT and maybe 20 mins LISS after that. I am sure since I am not doing weights I am going to be burning far less cals, but how many who knows. I'll just eat like regular and hope in the end it all averages out.

adamrochester
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM
the only days ill have 20% less is when i have a complete rest day layne tells me to so i do what im told and it makes sence to me

but once again personal preference

addictR3
01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Personally I eat more on rest days, as its when I have the most time to cook, feel hungry and relax. I dont go overboard but I enjoy my food.

MooseLaddin
01-16-2011, 01:36 AM
It's really up to you and I would just follow my appetite, usually I just eat whenever I'm hungry on all days usually totalling around 3,000 calories more or less but I've kinda hit a plateau with my muscle gain so I probably should up that caloric intake by 400-500 for a couple weeks to see if that helps. But my answer is just to follow what your appetite tells you.

AlwaysTryin
01-16-2011, 01:54 AM
It's really up to you and I would just follow my appetite, usually I just eat whenever I'm hungry on all days usually totalling around 3,000 calories more or less but I've kinda hit a plateau with my muscle gain so I probably should up that caloric intake by 400-500 for a couple weeks to see if that helps. But my answer is just to follow what your appetite tells you.

I'd try 200 a week

MooseLaddin
01-16-2011, 02:15 AM
I'd try 200 a week

probably good advice, thanks. 400-500 is probably too drastic.

AlwaysTryin
01-16-2011, 02:18 AM
probably good advice, thanks. 400-500 is probably too drastic.

Exactly

no need to go up so quick, 200 and see if it helps, if not then another 200 and you are at where you would have been :)

weeabrah
01-16-2011, 06:12 AM
I eat around maintenance on my workout days and a 600-700 cal deficit on my 3 rest days (I keep protein as high as possible though.)

As long as all the calories add up to 1 pound a week then it should be fine

coopermax
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
as everyone else has said, eat the same every day

DoctorStrange
01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Agree on same every day - for me it just helps with keeping myself in the routine.

adamrochester
01-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Exactly

no need to go up so quick, 200 and see if it helps, if not then another 200 and you are at where you would have been :)

good advice bro this ^^^

PatProject
01-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Adjust it so it fits your needs.

I like to gain about 2 pounds a month. Right now I am at 190 and gaining two pounds a month.

On my rest days, I eat 3700, workout days 4100, workout and my 30 minutes of cardio 4400.

Every day your caloric expenditures will be different so I adjust accordingly.

In the end it's up to you, and if you are happy or not with your progress.

AlwaysTryin
01-17-2011, 02:22 AM
The key point here is that whether you increase on workout days or have the same daily, both will have the same caloric intake at the end of the week (aiming for your 3500 surplus a week)

LukeElliott69
01-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Hi guys I do a 5 day split mon - fri

sat and sun are my rest days, I kind of just laze around at home on those days, and do not pay much attention to my diet on those days, I dont count nutrients like I do on my on days anyway.

Do you recommend that I eat as much on my off days as my on days?

i use dextrose in my pre workout drink and extra whey and bcaas after my workout so i add approx 300 calories more workout days, why would i add the extra shake on a non workout day i wouldn't so there for my workout days will be higher only workout 3xs a week rest rest and more rest eat, and more rest.

AlwaysTryin
01-17-2011, 03:29 AM
i use dextrose in my pre workout drink and extra whey and bcaas after my workout so i add approx 300 calories more workout days, why would i add the extra shake on a non workout day i wouldn't so there for my workout days will be higher only workout 3xs a week rest rest and more rest eat, and more rest.

Why both whey and bcaas??

kusok
01-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Eating more calories (from carbs, while keeping fat and protein same) on heavy lifting days and less on rest days is called non-linear carb cycling, and is effective and a good idea.

gomez26
01-17-2011, 04:54 AM

this. the surplus should be the same everyday. surplus is anything above expenditure.

if u worked out the actual caloric content of muscle gains u will find they are negligible compared to the expenditure of the activity required to initiate them.