PDA

View Full Version : Noodles w/ no carbs?!? Make your cut 10x easier ;)

CHRIS925
01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/shirataki.jpg

Being that I LOVE noodles and anything that has to do with them, they were something that were SUPER high in the carb department-- and because of that I had to eliminate eating them during a cut..... Not anymore! :)

I had my first ever meal with Shirataki Noodles just now and it was so amazing that I had to share this all with you.
There have been threads on these before but I feel like there can't be enough.. everyone should know about these and incorporate them into their cut! A full bag (8oz) of Tofu Shirataki Noodles (the ones with a slightly higher carb count, but easier to find) consists of 2 servings. Each serving (4oz) has... [[]]:

[B]Cals: 20
Fat: 0.5g
Carb: 3g
Protein: 1g

You can read up a little more about them here (what they are and where to get them):
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

HAPPY CUTTING~!

conflictsd
01-14-2011, 08:38 PM
is this real life?

the real question is.... do they taste good?....

CHRIS925
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM
I didn't want to make a thread or even give an opinion on them until I tried them.. and let's just say.. for the nutritional profile.... mind = blown.

allstar0419
01-14-2011, 08:41 PM
getting these tomorrow lol i'll comment on taste

warbird00
01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
damn. subbed for later buying

Simmo0508
01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
But there's 3g of carbs there... That ain't "no carb".

:p

AlwaysTryin
01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
These have been around for ages

there are different varieties of non shirataki too... "miracle noodles"

I think you rediscovered the wheel OP lol :p

CHRIS925
01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
getting these tomorrow lol i'll comment on taste

Yeah man. Make sure to drain the liquid and then microwave them for 1 minute to take away the natural scent they have. Then cook them how you want.. I made them with a stir fry :)

damn. subbed for later buying

Try it out man!

But there's 3g of carbs there... That ain't "no carb".

:p

Had to catch your attention somehow ;)

These have been around for ages

there are different varieties of non shirataki too... "miracle noodles"

I think you rediscovered the wheel OP lol :p

lol Yea like I mentioned there have been multiple threads on this and I know it.. but there will always be more people informed with a new thread... This will alleviate many on their cut! Tryin' to help out the BB community that's all.. :)

CHRIS925
01-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Bump :)

AllFapInsurance
01-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah, these things are awesome for filling you up when you're cutting. Sometimes I feel like going outside and eating grass I'm so hungry so these things are definitely better than that.

BookMonkey
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
I think they taste pretty good, especially considering how low carb it is. I've never seen the thick noodle kind though. All the stores around me only sell the thing noodle. But for $1 a pop, that isn't bad.

Also, there are several ways to cook it. If you're using them just as noodles, then you'll want to drain them of the way they came in, then boil them in fresh water. If you're using them in soup, you're going to still want to drain them before boiling in fresh water, however, for two different flavors, you can either use this boiled water as the soup base, or you can pull the noodles out and add it to a seperate soup base, dumping the boiled water.

M@XLOL
01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
going to call all the asian food marts tomorrow and hope those guys speak english!

BookMonkey
01-14-2011, 11:00 PM
going to call all the asian food marts tomorrow and hope those guys speak english!

Just go to the fridge section. These are usually kept near the vegetable section of the fridge.

WorkingOnTheDream
01-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Anyone order from http://www.miraclenoodle.com/ before?

Looks like they have other good things, too.

adamrochester
01-14-2011, 11:58 PM
noodles are the bomb lets hope i can get these in australia !

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Those noodles are ****ing worthless.

and disgusting

AlwaysTryin
01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
noodles are the bomb lets hope i can get these in australia !

Yes they sell them, not worth the $$ but

just eat heaps of salad/watery veg

CHRIS925
01-15-2011, 01:25 AM

and disgusting

Sounds like you're an odd one out, brah!

Look at it as a food you can endulge on.. with the crazy low cals/carbs...

Don't compare it to the f*ckin' Olive Garden...

They're asian as well.. so probably much better in a stir-fry (how I love them) rather than a spaghetti & meatball type thing...

CHRIS925
01-15-2011, 01:26 AM

A bit pricey at my local store too.. but an awesome treat and worth it IMO :)

AlwaysTryin
01-15-2011, 01:42 AM
A bit pricey at my local store too.. but an awesome treat and worth it IMO :)

IMO a "treat" on a cut would be some ice cream lol, not low cal noodles lol

CHRIS925
01-15-2011, 01:44 AM
IMO a "treat" on a cut would be some ice cream lol, not low cal noodles lol

Well.. a treat as in... you can indulge and eat large amounts of it and have not a single problem fitting into your macros :)

AlwaysTryin
01-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Well.. a treat as in... you can indulge and eat large amounts of it and have not a single problem fitting into your macros :)

I know, was just mucking around :p

UPOW
01-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Anyone know if they are available in Australia?

AlwaysTryin
01-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Anyone know if they are available in Australia?

You Stevie Wonder??

Read through the thread

IronTerminator
01-15-2011, 05:52 AM
This makes it really suck to be horribly allergic to soy..

Retrotiger
01-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Seriously? This is amazing. Add a chicken broth and some spices and it's one hell of a good soup.

Robbyrh10
01-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Ive had these and actually enjoy them. Thanks for sharing.

thingymabob
01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm about to order some of these now! I live in a small town so there's not anywhere to get them around here. So I'm using the Japanese Food Shop (can't post a link to the site till I've got 30 posts..)

The only downside is the cost of ordering online - 4.50 for one pack (4-7 days delivery time), or 8 for one pack and next day delivery.

So that's 8 to get a pack of noodles by Tuesday! Too bad they don't sell them where I live. I'd be better off going for the economy delivery and buying a few packs in one go to cut down on postage... but then what if I don't even like the sodding things?? lol

Edit: Also, forgot to say thanks to the OP! I never would have heard of these if it wasn't for this thread. :)

conflictsd
01-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm about to order some of these now! I live in a small town so there's not anywhere to get them around here. So I'm using the Japanese Food Shop (can't post a link to the site till I've got 30 posts..)

The only downside is the cost of ordering online - 4.50 for one pack (4-7 days delivery time), or 8 for one pack and next day delivery.

So that's 8 to get a pack of noodles by Tuesday! Too bad they don't sell them where I live. I'd be better off going for the economy delivery and buying a few packs in one go to cut down on postage... but then what if I don't even like the sodding things?? lol

8 bucks for a pack of noodles? bill gates... that u brah?

Rencity01
01-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow this is very interesting I will have to look for these and give them a try. Anyone know if they sell these in Costco because I have no asian grocery stores near me.

thingymabob
01-15-2011, 05:18 PM
8 bucks for a pack of noodles? bill gates... that u brah?

lol!

I'm gonna buy them in bulk to cut down on delivery costs. And I'm gonna use economy rather than next day delivery. There's no f*cking way I'm paying 8 for a pack of noodles! No thank you!

The more packs you buy, the cheaper it is. It comes to 15 for 5 packs if I go for the economy delivery - so that's 3 per pack, which is still quite pricey - but that's about as cheap as I'll get them online. Each pack has 2 servings, so that's 10 of them.

If I don't like them, I'll just have to force myself to eat the sodding things! :p

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Sounds like you're an odd one out, brah!

Look at it as a food you can endulge on.. with the crazy low cals/carbs...

Don't compare it to the f*ckin' Olive Garden...

They're asian as well.. so probably much better in a stir-fry (how I love them) rather than a spaghetti & meatball type thing...

I've had them a few times. Your taste buds have to be ****ed up to like em. It's not indulging without the carbs and calories. it tastes like feet and sets up a craving.

CHRIS925
01-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I've had them a few times. Your taste buds have to be ****ed up to like em. It's not indulging without the carbs and calories. it tastes like feet and sets up a craving.

Or maybe you're just picky.. and YOUR taste buds are the f*cked up ones... No? Prove me wrong then haha. Taste is subjective brotha. No right or wrong.. you seem to be on your own here though.

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Or maybe you're just picky.. and YOUR taste buds are the f*cked up ones... No? Prove me wrong then haha. Taste is subjective brotha. No right or wrong.. you seem to be on your own here though.

Hmm... a bunch of borderline eating disordered people in the nutrition section compared to EVERYONE else....I work at a grocery store dealing with product and profit....we stopped selling them because through the entire region of our company we didn't sell even 1% of stock.

alero
01-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I eat these a couple times a week. It's all in how you prepare them.
Open the package and put then in a strainer. Rinse under hot water. Keep moving them around as you rinse. Do this for at least sixty seconds. This it's important, as they do stink when you first open them.
Now dry them as much as possible with paper towels. They need to be real dry. They absorb flavor very well like this.
I use em in a bunch of different ways. Last night I added some light alfredo sauce, two Laughing Cow wedges, and a bunch of tuna. Other nights pasta sauce and chicken breast. In stir fry.
They're not good alone however. The texture takes a little getting used to, and they need to absorb flavor.

Los_Diablo
01-15-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/shirataki.jpg

Being that I LOVE noodles and anything that has to do with them, they were something that were SUPER high in the carb department-- and because of that I had to eliminate eating them during a cut..... Not anymore! :)

I had my first ever meal with Shirataki Noodles just now and it was so amazing that I had to share this all with you.
There have been threads on these before but I feel like there can't be enough.. everyone should know about these and incorporate them into their cut! A full bag (8oz) of Tofu Shirataki Noodles (the ones with a slightly higher carb count, but easier to find) consists of 2 servings. Each serving (4oz) has... [[]]:

[B]Cals: 20
Fat: 0.5g
Carb: 3g
Protein: 1g

You can read up a little more about them here (what they are and where to get them):
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

HAPPY CUTTING~!

I'll just stick to regular noodles, watch my total caloric intake, workout, and cut that way

45poundbench
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
MarkVI i agree iwth you, these things taste like crap! The only way to make them bearable for me was to load on the toppings.. i mean cheese, tomatoe sauce, everything. By then it became a regular pasta entree haha

BookMonkey
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Seriously? This is amazing. Add a chicken broth and some spices and it's one hell of a good soup.

Toss in some cooked chopped chicken and a chopped green onion and its nearly a meal.

joelash302
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
This is like the stripper version of food. Lots of show and all you get at the end is an empty wallet and an erection.

BookMonkey
01-15-2011, 07:31 PM
This is like the stripper version of food. Lots of show and all you get at the end is an empty wallet and an erection.

Food gives you an erection? Nice.

AllFapInsurance
01-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Hmm... a bunch of borderline eating disordered people in the nutrition section compared to EVERYONE else....I work at a grocery store dealing with product and profit....we stopped selling them because through the entire region of our company we didn't sell even 1% of stock.

Wow, strong assumption.

Apparently, people cutting calories and trying to also feel full have an eating disorder. You a doctor breh? You diagnosing people? GTFO.

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, strong assumption.

Apparently, people cutting calories and trying to also feel full have an eating disorder. You a doctor breh? You diagnosing people? GTFO.

Strong fail man.

Many, many people in here are borderline eating disorder cases. Very obvious.

Read the responses, people are practically getting hard from the idea of a very low calorie fake pasta.

AllFapInsurance
01-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Strong fail man.

Many, many people in here are borderline eating disorder cases. Very obvious.

Read the responses, people are practically getting hard from the idea of a very low calorie fake pasta.

1) That's your assumption

2) You're not a doctor so it doesn't matter anyway

3) People come here because a lot of them are cutting weight for whatever reason and looking for ways to make it more enjoyable

4) A product is mentioned that is low calorie and filling, people want to try it

5) You're a d-bag

^----that basically sums it up

Lol @ cutting weight being an eating disorder. Cutting does not automatically equal starvation.

edit: Thanks for the neg too

adamrochester
01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

thanks man any particular place to buy them from im in geelong were are you from ?

AlwaysTryin
01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
thanks man any particular place to buy them from im in geelong were are you from ?

Check Asian grocery stores around you

zstanton
01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

and disgusting

^^ this i tried these over a year ago and couldnt finish them

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 08:34 PM

3) People come here because a lot of them are cutting weight for whatever reason and looking for ways to make it more enjoyable

4) A product is mentioned that is low calorie and filling, people want to try it

5) You're a d-bag

Lol @ cutting weight being an eating disorder. Cutting does not automatically equal starvation.

Name calling eh? lol gotcha ;)

nice avatar....oh wait....

Los_Diablo
01-15-2011, 08:35 PM

5) You're a d-bag

Point is you can also cut by eating regular pasta too. Just fit it into your daily caloric allowance.

Plus it tastes better anyhow.

yieldtonothing
01-15-2011, 08:44 PM
i kinda like these. you gotta really jazz them up to make them enjoyable, but screwing around with flavors/sauces/spices is fun.

AllFapInsurance
01-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Name calling eh? lol gotcha ;)

Yes, when you accuse people of having an eating disorder for no apparent reason, it means you're an ass. Also, when you neg me because you disagree with me, it means you're an ass.

And why does an avatar matter? Dispute what I'm saying, not a little picture box next to my name.

AllFapInsurance
01-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Point is you can also cut by eating regular pasta too. Just fit it into your daily caloric allowance.

Plus it tastes better anyhow.

/facepalm

No one is saying you can't eat regular pasta. The point is that it's easy to fill your stomach up with something that doesn't take up many calories so you can eat other stuff (like pasta) too.

Simmo0508
01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
/facepalm

No one is saying you can't eat regular pasta. The point is that it's easy to fill your stomach up with something that doesn't take up many calories so you can eat other stuff (like pasta) too.

This ^^

Plus if say for example your carb cycling or low carbing in general (let's for example put up 30g carbs daily), not everyone can fit in say 1 or 2 cups of pasta in the first place... (which would be 50g/100g carbs). Not everyone likes baby sized portions, so sometimes adjustments need to be made to the food selected.

Defeats half the purpose of "fit it in your macros bro!". Not everyone CAN fit certain things in their macros at the time. Hence the popularity of these low calorie versions.

Walden Farms's and those low calorie sauce products made an entire business out of it as well. The market's there for it.

ppd001
01-15-2011, 09:45 PM

i wish every food i put in my mouth is 20 calories..i just love eating so much,

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes, when you accuse people of having an eating disorder for no apparent reason, it means you're an ass. Also, when you neg me because you disagree with me, it means you're an ass.

And why does an avatar matter? Dispute what I'm saying, not a little picture box next to my name.

Nah I negged you because of the acronym GTFO, that one bugs me and is rude....I also never resorted to childish name calling like yourself.

Also never said anyone had an eating disorder, said there were many borderline ED cases in this thread on and the nutr. board in general. Look at a lot of the people who posted positive things about this or got excited...they don't need to be cutting... I'll elaborate a bit below. I don't have anything against you personally.

This ^^

Plus if say for example your carb cycling or low carbing in general (let's for example put up 30g carbs daily), not everyone can fit in say 1 or 2 cups of pasta in the first place... (which would be 50g/100g carbs). Not everyone likes baby sized portions, so sometimes adjustments need to be made to the food selected.

Defeats half the purpose of "fit it in your macros bro!". Not everyone CAN fit certain things in their macros at the time. Hence the popularity of these low calorie versions.

Walden Farms's and those low calorie sauce products made an entire business out of it as well. The market's there for it.

I agree with this....when you're really dieting and have low carb needs and have cravings, get what you need to satisfy it. but again, most of the people I've seen get excited (not just this thread) are those that have a bad relationship with food and DON'T need to be cutting. 5'11 160lbs and cutting....

LightForce
01-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Available at local chain grocery store I presume?

And OP if Olive Garden is your def. of good itallian food, then you haven't been to a nice one... no offense that chain is crap.

J.Thomas
01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
will look for these tomorrow to try out

AllFapInsurance
01-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Nah I negged you because of the acronym GTFO, that one bugs me and is rude....I also never resorted to childish name calling like yourself.

Also never said anyone had an eating disorder, said there were many borderline ED cases in this thread on and the nutr. board in general. Look at a lot of the people who posted positive things about this or got excited...they don't need to be cutting... I'll elaborate a bit below. I don't have anything against you personally.

I agree with this....when you're really dieting and have low carb needs and have cravings, get what you need to satisfy it. but again, most of the people I've seen get excited (not just this thread) are those that have a bad relationship with food and DON'T need to be cutting. 5'11 160lbs and cutting....

So labeling people with borderline eating disorders is apparently NOT rude. I'm glad you think so. Next time post your credentials next to your post when you tell people they have disorders because I'm pretty sure you aren't qualified to make that call. It's ok though, GTFO is rude apparently but labeling people with a disorder isn't.

You're a borderline sociopath.

I'm not being rude though so please don't respond. It's oh so ironic that you're calling me childish this whole time too.

And herp derp at your second response. That what EXACTLY what I said but apparently it only matters if you say it. You really deserve a second "GTFO" after that.

BookMonkey
01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Aside from the henfighting, try the noodles. If you like them, great. If you don't, great.

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
So labeling people with borderline eating disorders is apparently NOT rude. I'm glad you think so. Next time post your credentials next to your post when you tell people they have disorders because I'm pretty sure you aren't qualified to make that call. It's ok though, GTFO is rude apparently but labeling people with a disorder isn't.

I'm not being rude though so please don't respond. It's oh so ironic that you're calling me childish this whole time too.

And herp derp at your second response. That what EXACTLY what I said but apparently it only matters if you say it. You really deserve a second "GTFO" after that.

Right...have fun with your noodles bud.

BookMonkey
01-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Right...have fun with your noodles bud.

Seriously. You really hate certain foods with a passion. I seem to see you in on threads hating on something rather than just leaving it alone.

Not intending to start a drawn out conversation, just making an observation.

Or maybe I'm mistaking you for someone else that just looks like you (I never pay attention to usernames when an avatar is present)...-_-

MarkVI
01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Seriously. You really hate certain foods with a passion. I seem to see you in on threads hating on something rather than just leaving it alone.

Or maybe I'm mistaking you for someone else that just looks like you (I never pay attention to usernames when an avatar is present)...-_-

Probably not me, I get into some arguments sometimes, but typically I'm pretty helpful and mild mannered....

AlwaysTryin
01-16-2011, 12:01 AM

I don't have one visible except in PM's..

MarkVI
01-16-2011, 12:18 AM
I don't have one visible except in PM's..

Nice avatar...oh wait :p

CHRIS925
01-16-2011, 02:27 AM

lol he's one sided man. Hard-headed. Feels like his opinion is the only "right" opinion. Giving his own definitions of the terminology "ED".. Let it be man he's not gonna budge. I feel your frustration tho.

CHRIS925
01-16-2011, 02:30 AM

Whoa.. I observed it too.. Haha. It's like man.. Cool that you've got that limited / picky taste.. but don't gotta go overboard and try to start a whole argument about "oh.. this tastes like sH*t... your tastebuds must be f*cked up or something..." Haha... Middle school status brah!

Eyy btw.. you seem to enjoy cooking from what ive read in a few threads.. me too brah! Nothing like mixin' it up in the kitchen and inventing things along the way.. Food is the shiet no doubt! Good to see another brah who can throw down like bobby flay haha. Props

J.Thomas
01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Think walmart sells them?

AllFapInsurance
01-16-2011, 02:51 PM

I've never seen them there but we don't have a super-walmart here. They might have them.

Also, I've never checked Costco. Can anyone confirm/deny if they have them?

BookMonkey
01-16-2011, 03:34 PM

I've only ever seen them at asian grocery stores and Safeway. It is usually near the bagged salads.

stancel
01-16-2011, 03:43 PM
check this out, you can see the angel hair pasta 3 minutes in, it looks exactly like pasta.

eLi5657CSos

allstar0419
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
made them today with some chicken, terriyaki sauce, and vegetable stir fry. not bad

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs246.snc6/179432_489265566602_559531602_6721382_4538709_n.jp g

Rodzilla
01-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I've tried them. The packaging is pretty unappetizing, they're in some liquid that reminds me of soapy water. I'd recommend rinsing them really really well.

Now I tried them during a time when I wasn't dieting, and they weren't my forte', that said. At the end of a cut, they may do very well to help you keep your sanity. Otherwise, I'd opt for something like spaghetti squash.

BookMonkey
01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I've tried them. The packaging is pretty unappetizing, they're in some liquid that reminds me of soapy water. I'd recommend rinsing them really really well.

Now I tried them during a time when I wasn't dieting, and they weren't my forte', that said. At the end of a cut, they may do very well to help you keep your sanity. Otherwise, I'd opt for something like spaghetti squash.

Well, yeah, if I remember correctly, the directions actually say to drain it (the water isn't soapy, it is starchy) and then wash it before parboiling. But again, they aren't for everyone. I was raised on many different types of noodles, so for me, it is just another type. Though I tend to be more of a somen/soba fan as far as noodles go. But nothing beats out a piping hot bowl of udon.

J.Thomas
01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
gotta find asain market around here

Greater Deity
02-08-2011, 01:54 AM
The main issue here, is that most people don't know how to prepare these. The Angel hair pasta is good in Korean soups, and in Panzit. The preparation of these requires time to soak or bask in flavor. If you don't do that, they will taste like a mixture of solvent gaping all the taste out of your mouth. When I get my hands on some, I'll make a video of how to prepare these.

AlwaysTryin
02-08-2011, 02:38 AM
The main issue here, is that most people don't know how to prepare these. The Angel hair pasta is good in Korean soups, and in Panzit. The preparation of these requires time to soak or bask in flavor. If you don't do that, they will taste like a mixture of solvent gaping all the taste out of your mouth. When I get my hands on some, I'll make a video of how to prepare these.

At least it was only a 3 week bump I guess...

Greater Deity
02-08-2011, 03:00 AM
I hardly pay attention to the dates. And yes, get your PhD. =) It will be fun! Costly... but fun!