PDA

View Full Version : We should do a GM League?

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone down? Has sports misc ever done this before?

idk just thinking, because sports misc is gonna be pretty boring from the end of the Super Bowl until the draft. I'm sure we can get at least 32+ people participating in it.

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
no? Sports misc doesn't like this idea?

DollarAndADream
01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
how does it work?

DCocK
01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
i would do it.

whats a gm league?

magicmatt
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
fukking explain it you idiot

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Pretty much this:

-32 members pick whatever team they want to GM (first come first serve)
-You make every decision you want to put your team in the best situation. That means you control everything from coaching staff, signing Free Agents, trades, the 2011 draft, depth chart, roster cuts, practice squad, etc...
-There will be a salary cap, player salaries, cap hits, etc... as well
-Once the draft comes around, we will set up the draft order (including the all the draft pick trades) and probably construct a 4-5 round draft. Maybe full 7 rounds, but people may lose interest.

There is a lot more to it, but that is pretty much cliff notes of it. If I get about 15 or so people that are interested, and 1-2 people that know a lot about the NFL and stuff that wants to help me, I will make a thread explaining the rules and we can go from there.

Also, if you as a GM, will be allowed to hire advisers from around the sports misc. For example, if I am the GM of the Saints, I could look for Saints fans on the sports misc to help me run the team and make decisions. Or if you don't have the time or know much about the NFL or think it would be too complicated to be a GM, you could be an adviser for your favorite team or something.

There would also be prizes and shiit. Possibly mod reps. But again, we would need a lot of interest.

magicmatt
01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
ya this will work well

m0neymike
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
i'd be down but that sounds like way to much to try to organize on a forum..you'd need a site dedicated to that

how do you figure out who wins?

pajarodelfuego
01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
wtf is this shiit

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
ya this will work well

The only reason it wouldn't work is if we don't get enough interest or inactivity. But, I've kinda thought ahead with that. We would probably start it in 3-4 weeks, so that gives us a decent amount of time to work on getting at least 32+ people interested in it.

Also, the draft I believe is April 28th, so that is roughly 3 months of time between when we start and the NFL draft. I would say the first 2 months would be mainly trading, free agents, finding advisers, and making roster cuts. Then the few weeks leading up to the draft would be sort of like preparing for the draft...Combine, making trades involving picks, etc...

So, everything is pretty compact in a short amount of time, rather than it being like 5 or 6 months where there would be long dry spells.

i'd be down but that sounds like way to much to try to organize on a forum..you'd need a site dedicated to that

how do you figure out who wins?

Well, if I can get 1-2, or even 3 people helping me out that knows a lot about the NFL and how stuff like this works, I think it could work out. I am in another GM league right now doing something similar, so I will be able to find the player salaries, exact draft order, free agents, etc...pretty easily and I can copy/pasta them here.

I am thinking there would be a few prizes, and all of them would have some sort of reward. Example:

MVP- All 32 GMs would vote on who they think did the best over all (can't vote for yourselves). Winner gets a mod rep.

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
So....thoughts? Again, I will make a full long ass thread explaining everything if we get enough people on board. Once we get things moving, it is flows pretty nicely. Again, the only thing we would need is interest and activity. I should be able to control everything else with a couple of people.

inb4 delete.

tyqb4
01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
i think it would be cool but we barely made it through a basketball fantasy draft and still haven't even figured out a winner. this sounds too complicated and i bet we would lose at least half of the league before rankings were decided.

DollarAndADream
01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
seems complicated

pinkpinkpony
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
ill be the falcons.

RekeDMC
01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Im in.

Loswaldo
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I would be interested, but how much time would it take? Like if we have work and over commitments would that spoil our chances?

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 02:57 PM
i think it would be cool but we barely made it through a basketball fantasy draft and still haven't even figured out a winner. this sounds too complicated and i bet we would lose at least half of the league before rankings were decided.

Yeah, I am trying to think of ways to just make it easier and whatnot, so we can keep that interest. Like, we may not have cap hits for trading some players or cutting some players, because that could really fuk up the money.

That's why I am trying to get a lot of interest now. If we can get 64+ people interested, then we can have at least one co-GM (or adviser) for each team along with an actual GM, so we have more depth in the league and whatnot.

seems complicated

Eh, it's complicated at first, but once things get going, it gets a lot easier and is pretty fun.

ill be the falcons.

Im in.

Alright, cool. I will make a sign up thread after the Eagles/Packers game. Right now, the only two teams taken are the Fins and Falcons.

I would be interested, but how much time would it take? Like if we have work and over commitments would that spoil our chances?

You should be fine. You don't have to be at your computer at all times. Even during free agency. We are going to set it to 24 hour periods probably. So example:

Say there is a huge sweepstakes for Nmandi Asomugha with 5 or 6 teams out bidding each other. After each bid, there is a 24 hour timetable for another team to outbid the current highest bid. ex:

Say the Giants bid $15mil at 8:00am EST on February 8th. If no other team bids by 8:00am EST on February 9th, then the Giants sign Nmandi. There are going to be rules for outbidding as well, so there aren't 10 teams outbidding by $1 for a player.

But, do you get what I am saying? You will also be able to get some help by signing some co-GMs to help you out if you don't have all the time in the world either.

As for the draft, we are going to do something similar to free agency. In the 1st round, each team has 24 hours to make a pick. In the 2nd round and later, each team will have 12 hours to make a pick. The 1st round should only take a day or two, and each round after that should only take 2-3 days. It will probably take us 1-2 weeks to do the draft, depending on how many rounds we end up doing.

DollarAndADream
01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
lemme get dem boys

jkeithc82
01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
This has been done with NBA recently so I don't know why it couldn't for NFL.

On another note, its been a few years since we did a "Favorite NFL team" with the +1/-1 until teams are eliminated. I think papi did the last ones. I think we should do another.

Loswaldo
01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
You should be fine. You don't have to be at your computer at all times. Even during free agency. We are going to set it to 24 hour periods probably. So example:

Say there is a huge sweepstakes for Nmandi Asomugha with 5 or 6 teams out bidding each other. After each bid, there is a 24 hour timetable for another team to outbid the current highest bid. ex:

Say the Giants bid $15mil at 8:00am EST on February 8th. If no other team bids by 8:00am EST on February 9th, then the Giants sign Nmandi. There are going to be rules for outbidding as well, so there aren't 10 teams outbidding by $1 for a player.

But, do you get what I am saying? You will also be able to get some help by signing some co-GMs to help you out if you don't have all the time in the world either.

As for the draft, we are going to do something similar to free agency. In the 1st round, each team has 24 hours to make a pick. In the 2nd round and later, each team will have 12 hours to make a pick. The 1st round should only take a day or two, and each round after that should only take 2-3 days. It will probably take us 1-2 weeks to do the draft, depending on how many rounds we end up doing.

I'll definatly be in then, I want my Rams too.

lostinthesouthh
01-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Possibly in.

Spaghettii
01-09-2011, 03:06 PM
brah for that just create a ESPN fantasy league.

GREEN BAY

bbacn123
01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
I got the Eagles

lostinthesouthh
01-09-2011, 03:07 PM

GREEN BAY

Yea Iduno why we couldnt just use something like that.

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 03:26 PM
lemme get dem boys

Alright, I made the thread and gave you the Cowboys. Just post in it to make it official and so noone bitches that you didn't claim them first.

This has been done with NBA recently so I don't know why it couldn't for NFL.

On another note, its been a few years since we did a "Favorite NFL team" with the +1/-1 until teams are eliminated. I think papi did the last ones. I think we should do another.

Yeah, like I said. I think it can work as long as we get enough interest.

I concur about the favorite NFL team thread too.

I'll definatly be in then, I want my Rams too.

I got the Eagles

Ok, same thing guys. Just post in the thread, so noone bitches about you guys not claiming any teams first. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130709613

GREEN BAY

Yea Iduno why we couldnt just use something like that.

Well, the ESPN league wouldn't really work because they don't have salary caps. Plus, you only get like 20 players on your team. In a few weeks, I will be able to get all the official rosters and the salaries for each players, then people can start making roster cuts, trades, free agents, and set their depth charts and whatnot.

Was gonna be in but someone already took the Cowboys.

You can ask the Cowboys guy if you can be a co-GM or something. There are also like 25 other teams available if you want.

HumptyBrah
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
idk what's going on, but I've got the 49ers

jkeithc82
01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I think if you do this though, you should wait until you get 32 people of interest and then randomly assign a team to them. People can't pick their favorite team.

HumptyBrah
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
OP, you still haven't answered: how are games played? How do teams win?

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
idk what's going on, but I've got the 49ers

Someone already has the niners, but you can talk to him and ask if he would be fine with you co-GMing. Or you could select from 1 of about 25 other teams available.

I think if you do this though, you should wait until you get 32 people of interest and then randomly assign a team to them. People can't pick their favorite team.

I was thinking something along those lines, but I feel like people would then lose interest. Say, someone that is a fan of New England gets a team like Seattle or Arizona. They may just get bored. Also, people know their teams a lot better than other teams and I think that would be better for the league. For instance, I know the Dolphins 10x more than say the Browns. I bet 99% of the people on here would trade Henne for a 6th round pick, but I intend on keeping Henne.

OP, you still haven't answered: how are games played? How do teams win?

It would be voting by the 32 GMs. All 32 GMs select who they think made the best moves over all (can't choose your own team) and we tally up. Or, if people want, I could make all the roster changes on Madden at the end of this and sim a full season.

DocHollidy
01-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I'll take BMORE

Hoop_Dreams
01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
whenever I see the thread title I think: I'm Ron Burgundy?

HumptyBrah
01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
lmao I just thought this. reps

lostinthesouthh
01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
It would be voting by the 32 GMs. All 32 GMs select who they think made the best moves over all (can't choose your own team) and we tally up. Or, if people want, I could make all the roster changes on Madden at the end of this and sim a full season.

Oh, I thought it was going to be played just like a traditional fantasy game : /

Waka_Flocka
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I'll take BMORE

lmao I just thought this. reps

Can you two work this out? DocHolliday posted Baltimore first in this thread, but HumptyBrah posted in the official sign up thread. I just don't want people bitching at me.

From now on though, anyone who claims a team, must claim them in the Sign Up thread first. If you claim them in another thread, and someone claims them in the Sign Up thread, then whoever claims in the sign up thread will get that team.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608060513#post608060513

idk why I put a question mark at the end. lol

brb ballin is doing this you stupid phaggot

youd just find a way to **** it up

?

Oh, I thought it was going to be played just like a traditional fantasy game : /

Nah, haha. We aren't starting this until around the Super Bowl anyways.