PDA

View Full Version : Suh should be rookie of the year

pursuitofone
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
No question he was the most dominate rookie in the NFL. Quarterback and anywhere on the d line are probably the hardest positions to excel at as a rookie. Yes bradford was good for a rookie qb....but Sub was damm incredible for a d tackle rookie or veteran. Not only only is suh starting In the pro bowl, you could make the argument that he is the best DT in the game or at least top 5 as a rookie!

What you think?

thek1d
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Devin McCourty

/thread

scotyg
01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
does this 'vote for the rookie of the year' on nfl.com actually have any effect on the outcome?

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies&module=HP_cp2

chlaxman
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Now you do realize there is an offensive and defensive ROY...?

pursuitofone
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Yea I know that...but the big one is rookie of the year not O or D beat rookie out of them all, and it always seems to go to an offensive player, this year SUh deserves it imo

-=Zeus=-!
01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I dont get why people talk about Devin McCourty like he was better then Suh.

Its no comparison. No debate. Suh is obviously the better player this year.

/thread.

scotyg
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Yea I know that...but the big one is rookie of the year not O or D beat rookie out of them all, and it always seems to go to an offensive player, this year SUh deserves it imo

its never gone to a defensive player. Shockey and Harvin are the only non RB/QB people to win it

stevedarsh
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
DT might be the most difficult position in the league to dominate, yet Suh became the most dominant DT in the league...as a rookie. The dude hands down deserved the Heisman and is far away ROY

leafs43
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I would trade both Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly for Suh.

He has been that good.

Dude is putting up numbers like a DE at the DT position......and he is only a rookie.

JMath
01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
I would trade both Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly for Suh.

He has been that good.

Dude is putting up numbers like a DE at the DT position......and he is only a rookie.

And we would happily decline that trade offer.

And for those saying McCourty... lettuce be reality, being a dominant rookie DT is much harder to do than being a really good CB. When was the last time a rookie DT looked as good as Suh?

kethnaab
01-07-2011, 02:59 PM
McCourty has played well

Suh is one of the best interior DL in the NFL. Can anyone honestly say that Devin McCourty is better than Nnamdi Asomugha? Can anyone say that McCourty belongs in the same ballpark as Nnamdi Asomugha?

Now reverse that one. Can anyone honestly say that Suh is simply nowhere near any of the other interior DL in the NFL? I don't think Suh is better than Ngata, but he at least deserves consideration

spirit3530
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Devin McCourty

/thread

LMAO... people aren't afraid to throw in his direction. Interior lineman ****bricks when they see Suh line up on the otherside.

Suh will be a perennial Pro Bowler for 10 years.

SpiderSense
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
McCourty has played well

Suh is one of the best interior DL in the NFL. Can anyone honestly say that Devin McCourty is better than Nnamdi Asomugha? Can anyone say that McCourty belongs in the same ballpark as Nnamdi Asomugha?

Now reverse that one. Can anyone honestly say that Suh is simply nowhere near any of the other interior DL in the NFL? I don't think Suh is better than Ngata, but he at least deserves consideration

Wait, wait, wait...

WTF are you basing all of this exactly on?

HAS to be pure stats.

McCourty has 7 INT's, 82 Tackles(that's a HIGH number, 71 solo BTW), and 2 FF's.

Asomughua has 0 INT's, 17 Tackles

So by your apparent measuring stick, YES, McCourty is in his league and is in fact better.

TeamDestruction
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Wait, wait, wait...

WTF are you basing all of this exactly on?

HAS to be pure stats.

McCourty has 7 INT's, 82 Tackles(that's a HIGH number, 71 solo BTW), and 2 FF's.

Asomughua has 0 INT's, 17 Tackles

So by your apparent measuring stick, YES, McCourty is in his league and is in fact better.

No one throws at Asomughua. Though McCourty has a high number of tackles partly from special teams.

kethnaab
01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Spidey, what are you doing?

McCourty is doing an excellent job, I never claimed otherwise, but he's hardly the first rookie FS or CB to put up big numbers. It's pretty standard for QBs to go right after the rookie CB. McCourty has done very well but as a CB, your opportunity is created for you by the opposing team. You won't get much action at all if QBs don't throw your way.

What isn't standard is for an interior DL to come in and dominate. He's providing a massive pass rushing threat from the inside, he is providing solid run support up the middle, and over the 3 seasons previous to this one, Detroit gave up 494, 517, and 444 points. This season, they gave up 369. They were ranked 32nd in defense for 3 consecutive years for both points and yards. This season they were ranked 21st and 19th. The dude is a massive difference maker, both for his own stats, and for his team's performance.

Am I to assume you think Suh did not play well? Do you realize that Detroit was 6th in sacks this season? They were 29th last year. In 2009 and 2008, they gave up opponent passer ratings of 109 and 110, both times placing 32nd in the NFL. This season they dropped the passer rating allowed by about 30 points.

not understanding where you're coming from here, or are you just in a contrarian mood?

kabobs
01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
yes OP, he will be DEFENSIVE ROY

SpiderSense
01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
No one throws at Asomughua.

Oh well.

Bottom line is your job is to produce when they do.

So am I to gather they threw at him less than 7 times?

If not, then he just isn't better.

Moreover, if he puts up just one more similarly terrible season as far as productivity, I will guarantee right here and now that they will at least ask him to take a pay cut.

**** outta here with the whole "teams avoid him" argument as not only a crutch but wheelchair and life support.

Yeah teams almost constantly put 8 in the box against Chris Johnson.

That doesn't mean the owner's gonna be like "You only got 200 yards rushing in 16 games, but I understand".

No.

You make your own breaks, get outta here with that sympathetic bull****.

Not throwing his direction would explain a down year, not an almost non-existent year.

kethnaab
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
*blinks slowly*

spidey, are you trying to imply that Asomugha isn't that good? Is that what this is about?

CBs lose opportunity when QBs don't throw at them.

NJLife
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
The first time I saw Suh was during the Neb-TEX game where he completely destroyed the tx team by himself on defense. Came an instant fan. Yeah I think he is the ROY.

scotyg
01-07-2011, 04:20 PM
*blinks slowly*

spidey, are you trying to imply that Asomugha isn't that good? Is that what this is about?

CBs lose opportunity when QBs don't throw at them.

true they do lose opportunity but he didnt even have a single pass defended. revis at least had 10. and 17 tackles shows hes non existent in run defense (which is part of being a complete corner). 17 tackles ranks him #207 among defensive backs. thats borderline absurdly low stats

kethnaab
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
he's one of the few CBs who play true man to man coverage. He is one of the very few who do it because he's one of the very few who do it successfully

Wish I had access to pro-football-focus.com. They maintain stats on targets and successful completions thrown at CBs and such.

-MarcusD-
01-07-2011, 04:52 PM
http://ezpicshare.com/images/hatersgonn.gif