PDA

View Full Version : Time to help my mom out .... 60 yrs, 5'2" ~220 pounds

grunmn
01-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Alright so my mother is a big lady, and she's always been one. She has struggled with weight for a good portion of her life. Well, ever since I was born she has been over weight. From her 20's and earlier she was a pretty petite woman.

Anyways, don't need the back story I suppose, but she's tried before and just hasn't had a lot of success. Even though she is 60, she has a job where she stands for a good portion of the day and she is always running around. She has bad arthritis and is on pain meds all the time. She's a very strong woman, and I think I need to help her out finally. Maybe if I am there the whole time she will have better success. Probably should have done this sooner, but you just get used to how people are I suppose.

thing is I don't know what an appropriate diet would be because she really can't exercise. She is going to have to lose weight strictly through diet, but since she is older I don't know what would be good. I know she should get enough exercise at her work and stuff, but I imagine her metabolism is slow and she doesn't eat meals properly. She gets in like 2-3 meals a day and often skips breakfast.

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for me? Or would just getting on low carb be adequate you think?

ejthomp
01-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Is she asking for help or are you offering?

Unless she is on the website, the odds of her being serious about it are very slim.

It will probably take a drastic change in lifestyle that won't happen unless she is committed to changing her life.....she....her.... not you.

My father is 75 and over 300 pounds. He's struggled with weight his entire life and I'm certainly not going to change his eating habits no matter how much I'd like to.

grunmn
01-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Is she asking for help or are you offering?

Unless she is on the website, the odds of her being serious about it are very slim.

It will probably take a drastic change in lifestyle that won't happen unless she is committed to changing her life.....she....her.... not you.

My father is 75 and over 300 pounds. He's struggled with weight his entire life and I'm certainly not going to change his eating habits no matter how much I'd like to.

that's kind of the thing here. I mean we have talked about it slightly in the past. It never stuck, but I never actually was there to motivate her. I do understand and I suppose thats why I have never really pushed for it before. People will change only if they want to. As she is getting older its just hard seeing the affects

Nick1971
01-06-2011, 01:48 AM
First, she needs to drink more water and lay off the sodas and other calorie-laden drinks. If she does get a soda, it has to be the no-cal stuff, but that has to be a minor part of her liquid intake. Recommend coffee, tea, or other no-cal drink with artificial sweeteners if she wants something with taste. If she can diligently do that, she can do anything else.

Second, she has to accept that change is not going to be immediate, and she has to be consistent.

Third, if she's the type of person to run away from challenges, she won't succeed. If she's willing to accept that changes she wants can be had if she's willing to put the effort into it, she can win this.

Finally, she has to realize her success in weight loss is going to be primarily from her commitment to count calories and actively work towards not exceeding her calorie limit for any day, notwithstanding the occasional cheat day. Even then it helps to exert some control. But if he can't be consistent and keep track of things, then it's going to take longer to do. It can still be done, but by accident and not on purpose.