PDA

View Full Version : lolwut? a 7-9 team could HOST a playoff game?

leanmachine22
01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
It sucks that the 10-6 Giants and Bucs gotta stay home while a 7-9 team could possibly host a playoff game. I will laugh my ass off if a 7-9 team hosts the 11-5 world champions for a playoff game.

brb_ballin
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
this is new and has never been talked about

are you a wizard?

iamgenus
01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
this is new and has never been talked about

are you a wizard?

this.

Looks like somebody just got on the internet.

leanmachine22
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Nope not a wizard, even though I don't agree with them being able to go to the playoffs, AT LEAST seed these teams right. It's illogical for an 11-5 team to be seeded 5th while a 7-9 team is seeded higher at 4th, wtf? The rule needs to be changed #realtalk

joedirt87
01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
The unfortunate consequence is that the Saints get a free ride to the divisional round, regardless of opponent. Moar ramming Hurricane Katrina down our throats incoming.

AppleCat
01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
It sucks that the 10-6 Giants and Bucs gotta stay home while a 7-9 team could possibly host a playoff game. I will laugh my ass off if a 7-9 team hosts the 11-5 world champions for a playoff game.

You would laugh because it shows that even what is deemed a terrible division (by record) can be competitive and beat another conference? Therefore, disproving your point that they don't in fact belong in the playoffs in the first place?

Just my personal opinion (not even close to claiming to know anything).

I don't think much of the NFC west, but it's just like teams that come out of the NL West or AL Central (traditionally) aren't considered to be good teams, but you see them make playoff runs.

Miked1978
01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
manlandedonmoon.jpg

iliveinjersey
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
urdumboldnews.jpg

stupidb0y
01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
haha .

TriangleX
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey you know what you should do if you are 10-6 missing the playoffs? Win more games

-=Zeus=-!
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
in b4 they win the superbowl.

NYY
01-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Hey you know what you should do if you are 10-6 missing the playoffs? Win more games

Or petition to join the NFC West.

JTrain306
01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Exclusive entrance requirements. No ****ty teams allowed.

Beasly3333
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I wonder if the Saints would rather play in Seattle or play against the Packers.

They are lucky if anything.

TriangleX

or not let the eagles have a giant comeback and follow it by getting blown apart by green bay. Giants shat their own bed. Don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

JMath

Or lobby league officials and try to get the divisions realigned so you can be put in a cupcake division and play 3 pathetic teams twice a year, finish with a **** record and still be in the playoffs.

Docta
01-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Well the Giants shouldn't have given up 28 points in 7 minutes to the Eagles.

TAWS6
01-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Well the Giants shouldn't have given up 28 points in 7 minutes to the Eagles.

THIS

The playoff system isnt perfect but really giants?

JMath
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
THIS

The playoff system isnt perfect but really giants?

The Giants are better than the Seahawks. Better teams should be the ones allowed in the playoffs. November 11th Giants 41- Seahawks 7.

If the best team in each division "deserves" to be in the playoffs, shouldn't the Raiders (who went 6-0 in their division) be considered the best team in their division?

JTrain306
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Let's just change everything!

Or not. If you win the division, your in. If not, don't bitch.

Anbob
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
in b4 they win the superbowl. this

n this

inb4 Seahawks/Steelers rematch

The Giants are better than the Seahawks. Better teams should be the ones allowed in the playoffs. November 11th Giants 41- Seahawks 7.

If the best team in each division "deserves" to be in the playoffs, shouldn't the Raiders (who went 6-0 in their division) be considered the best team in their division?

you just made the point for the hawks to be in it. Did we not beat the bears?

TriangleX
01-02-2011, 09:16 PM
The NFC West teams they have sent are 16-14 since 2000. They have gone to 4 super bowls, most in the NFC. Won 1, the only division in the NFC to win multiple is the South. Do they suck? Ya but they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. It wasn't to long ago a "bad" Arizona team made the playoffs andwas only seconds away from winning the super bowl.

UAGreg
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
The NFC West teams they have sent are 16-14 since 2000. They have gone to 4 super bowls, most in the NFC. Won 1, the only division in the NFC to win multiple is the South. Do they suck? Ya but they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. It wasn't to long ago a "bad" Arizona team made the playoffs andwas only seconds away from winning the super bowl.

Cool story bro

Guess what, the NFC West still blows

NFL needs to change this so that playoff seeding is by record, giving the NFC West a guaranteed home game is garbage

FryDude
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
The Seahawks deserve it :)

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM

I love how people just point to other teams who went on playoff runs after bad regular seasons as justification for a flawed system. That's like me raping a 10 year old, but he ends up becoming a doctor and leading a productive life, so I say child rape should be allowed.

TriangleX
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I love how people just point to other teams who went on playoff runs after bad regular seasons as justification for a flawed system. That's like me raping a 10 year old, but he ends up becoming a doctor and leading a productive life, so I say child rape should be allowed.

Cool i see your into making bad comparisons that don't have anything close to relevance. Hope you have fun with that. If you don't like it to bad, win more games. Next lets judge who gets into the playoffs based on strength of schedule just to level the playing field a little bit more.

lovebbing
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Nope not a wizard, even though I don't agree with them being able to go to the playoffs, AT LEAST seed these teams right. It's illogical for an 11-5 team to be seeded 5th while a 7-9 team is seeded higher at 4th, wtf? The rule needs to be changed #realtalk

its one season, quit your whining.

records dont matter in the playoffs.

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Cool i see your into making bad comparisons that don't have anything close to relevance. Hope you have fun with that. If you don't like it to bad, win more games. Next lets judge who gets into the playoffs based on strength of schedule just to level the playing field a little bit more.

Yeah that's kind of the point. Winning more games than another team should get you into the playoffs over them.

rainieravesouth
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
teams can't help what division they're in. All they can do is beat the teams they face. Bucs and Giants mad they're not in the NFC west. Too bad, win more games in your division then. Don't blow huge leads in the 4th quarter, don't kick to DeSean Jackson.

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
teams can't help what division they're in. All they can do is beat the teams they face. Bucs and Giants mad they're not in the NFC west. Too bad, win more games in your division then. Don't blow huge leads in the 4th quarter, don't kick to DeSean Jackson.

Seahawks didn't even do that half the time.

TriangleX
01-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah that's kind of the point. Winning more games than another team should get you into the playoffs over them.

Oh but a team could have a weak schedule! That wouldn't be fair if a team had to work hard but played a tough schedule misses the playoffs and a team with a sub .500 SOS gets in over them . Look at those charger teams that won a terrible AFC West the last few years. Boo hoo

bigcc

and yet we'll be hanging the division champ banner (again) and hosting a playoff game against a team who has never won a road playoff game

u jelly?

JMath

That's just it though, they aren't "just beating the teams they face". They're losing to the majority of teams they face, including a team that has 3 more wins than them and isn't going to be in the playoffs. The fact that teams can't control what division they're in and the fact that divisions have good years and bad years should be a reason FOR getting rid of the "win your division and you're in" rule. If you can't manage a respectable record in a pathetic division, you shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh but a team could have a weak schedule! That wouldn't be fair if a team had to work hard but played a tough schedule misses the playoffs and a team with a sub .500 SOS gets in over them . Look at those charger teams that won a terrible AFC West the last few years. Boo hoo

Yeah the Seahawks' schedule was pretty hard :rolleyes:.

JTrain306
01-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes, that's EXACTLY what it's like. Stunning analogy.

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes, that's EXACTLY what it's like. Stunning analogy.

Prove me wrong.

JTrain306
01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Prove me wrong.
I was agreeing with you, bro. Prove me wrong.

rainieravesouth
01-02-2011, 10:52 PM

That's just it though, they aren't "just beating the teams they face". They're losing to the majority of teams they face, including a team that has 3 more wins than them and isn't going to be in the playoffs. The fact that teams can't control what division they're in and the fact that divisions have good years and bad years should be a reason FOR getting rid of the "win your division and you're in" rule. If you can't manage a respectable record in a pathetic division, you shouldn't be in the playoffs.

cant please everyone all of the time. you act like this is a yearly occurence. this is the first time that a losing team has made it to the playoffs. when something happens that people dislike they wanna change the rules right away.

JMath
01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
cant please everyone all of the time. you act like this is a yearly occurence. this is the first time that a losing team has made it to the playoffs. when something happens that people dislike they wanna change the rules right away.

They don't have to have a losing record for me to be against it. I think the top 6 teams per conference should make the playoffs regardless of division. I had a problem when San Diego went 8-8 and was in the playoffs while the Pats were 11-5 (I think) and missed out as did a 10-6 team. I want to see the best teams in the playoffs. Not the best team from a specific region. But, it's the current rules and likely won't change since this probably makes more revenue.

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 11:09 PM
They don't have to have a losing record for me to be against it. I think the top 6 teams per conference should make the playoffs regardless of division. I had a problem when San Diego went 8-8 and was in the playoffs while the Pats were 11-5 (I think) and missed out as did a 10-6 team. I want to see the best teams in the playoffs. Not the best team from a specific region. But, it's the current rules and likely won't change since this probably makes more revenue.

Not that this should motivate the change, but I doubt that Seattle in the playoffs makes more revenue than New York in the playoffs.

JMath
01-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Not that this should motivate the change, but I doubt that Seattle in the playoffs makes more revenue than New York in the playoffs.

You're right, in this case it probably wouldn't. My thinking is that the league uses the division rule to allow for fans in each geographic location to watch a playoff team. Washington state football fans and the surrounding states (and King Canuck) wouldn't have a team to cheer for in the playoffs. It's a bunch of tv's that could have been tuning in.

I don't know if I explained what I was trying to say... I'm half asleep. lol.

KoolKidRyan
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Itt: seahawks homers defend the current playoff setup.

U.S.M.C. TANKER
01-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Cry much?

Your example is utterly stupid.

Mack4545
01-02-2011, 11:28 PM
The unfortunate consequence is that the Saints get a free ride to the divisional round, regardless of opponent. Moar ramming Hurricane Katrina down our throats incoming.

So ****ing true

BBmisc420196
01-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Itt: seahawks homers defend the current playoff setup.

it isnt always going to go perfectly.

Why not just make 1 big league, with no divisions, and let the top 12 teams go. That would be "fair" so no one could get butthurt. Hell why even have playoffs! Is it fair that if the 12th team beats the 1st team just once in the playoffs they win it all? Nope, not fair one bit, the 1st team still is better! Lets just have 1 big league and no playoffs and give the best record a big "your a winner" trophy.

That better?

JTrain306
01-02-2011, 11:35 PM
it isnt always going to go perfectly.

Why not just make 1 big league, with no divisions, and let the top 12 teams go. That would be "fair" so no one could get butthurt. Hell why even have playoffs! Is it fair that if the 12th team beats the 1st team just once in the playoffs they win it all? Nope, not fair one bit, the 1st team still is better! Lets just have 1 big league and no playoffs and give the best record a big "your a winner" trophy.

That better?
NFL should just switch to the BCS Rankings system