PDA

View Full Version : When is the best tinme for Cardio in ref. to Fat Loss

Ziggy CS
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Ok, I want to try to lose some body fat with minimal muscle loss. So several questions.

1. When is the best time for cardio? In the morning on an empty stomach, or about an hour after a protein drink, or an hour a carbo meal.

I also plan on continuing my lifting, but for this week it is only carbo (still recovering from an elbow injury) and then next week it will be carbo and weights.

So for next week and ther after:
2. Would it be better for 20 mins after weight training,
3. or two workouts a day, if two a day what would be recommend for meals before the exercises.

lovingit
01-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Everything you asked is really a matter of preference.

I don't do cardio on leg days because my leg lifts wear me out. And I personally wouldn't do cardio right before lifting because my lifts are more important to me and I don't want to be weak or tired when I lift.

You can eat before you do cardio or not. Whichever way feels best for you.

But you know if you keep your diet in check (calories where they need to be), you don't have to do tons of cardio.

illiniStrive
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok, I want to try to lose some body fat with minimal muscle loss. So several questions.

1. When is the best time for cardio? In the morning on an empty stomach, or about an hour after a protein drink, or an hour a carbo meal.

I also plan on continuing my lifting, but for this week it is only carbo (still recovering from an elbow injury) and then next week it will be carbo and weights.

3. or two workouts a day, if two a day what would be recommend for meals before the exercises.

Best time is anytime you can fit it in :)

It all comes down to personal preference. Some people get lightheaded if they do it fasted, some people feel queasy if they've eaten beforehand. As for fat burning purposes, a solid diet is the key to weight loss and a solid lifting schedule is the key to keeping as much muscle as possible. Cardio is only a side bonus.

ChristianBBer
01-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Ziggy listen to exactly what Im going to say. Do this starting tomorrow and by the summer you'll be ecstatic at the transformation

Goto fitday.com and create an account.

Tomorrow, eat what you normally eat. Except, record all the nutrition information down on fitday.com and plug in the values.

This way day by day you'll see how many calories you're consuming.

I start off with 2500 calories 20 weeks out.
28-290g of carbohydrates
200g protein
60g of fat.

After 4 weeks I lower my carbs to 250, fat to 50.

You do this so you know how much to eat per day and how much less to eat per day once you hit a plateau.

Goto the gym as much as you can. I prefer 6 days a week.
DO NOT do 2 gym sessions a day.

Do strength training 4x-5x a week. Hit each muscle group atleast once.
Do cardio 3-4x a week.

In terms of cardio, I can give you 20 articles saying HIIT is better than conventional running. And I can give you 20 articles saying the opposite. As Norton says, do both.

In terms of what to eat pre/post cardio. Treat cardio no different than weight lifting.

Have carb/protein soource pre, and the same post workout.

DO NOT DROP your calories drastically when you start your diet. Your body reacts to this but slowing the metabolism very quickly, and dropping muscle.

Start off slowly.

Do not get too concerned with the science, different workout programs, crazy diets etc...

The reason most people fail is because they don't have the discipline to stick out a diet.

Just do the basics and I promise by summer you'll be amazed.

Ziggy CS
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Ziggy listen to exactly what Im going to say. Do this starting tomorrow and by the summer you'll be ecstatic at the transformation

Goto fitday.com and create an account.

Tomorrow, eat what you normally eat. Except, record all the nutrition information down on fitday.com and plug in the values.

This way day by day you'll see how many calories you're consuming.

I start off with 2500 calories 20 weeks out.
28-290g of carbohydrates
200g protein
60g of fat.

After 4 weeks I lower my carbs to 250, fat to 50.

You do this so you know how much to eat per day and how much less to eat per day once you hit a plateau.

Goto the gym as much as you can. I prefer 6 days a week.
DO NOT do 2 gym sessions a day.

Do strength training 4x-5x a week. Hit each muscle group atleast once.
Do cardio 3-4x a week.

In terms of cardio, I can give you 20 articles saying HIIT is better than conventional running. And I can give you 20 articles saying the opposite. As Norton says, do both.

In terms of what to eat pre/post cardio. Treat cardio no different than weight lifting.

Have carb/protein soource pre, and the same post workout.

DO NOT DROP your calories drastically when you start your diet. Your body reacts to this but slowing the metabolism very quickly, and dropping muscle.

Start off slowly.

Do not get too concerned with the science, different workout programs, crazy diets etc...

The reason most people fail is because they don't have the discipline to stick out a diet.

Just do the basics and I promise by summer you'll be amazed.

Sounds good, thanks, my goal in 2011 is to get under 20%BF but maintain over 300 bench and 405 DL. I'm currenlty at 28% and most of that is around my midsection. I purposing out off doing any cardio in 2010 so I can get to 300 bench and 405 DL, so would you suggest I stick to the same diet but do 20 mins of cardio after workouts, such as treadmill (slow and fast) and jump rope.

Ted1122
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I go pretty hard because I have this crazy ability to recover very quickly. So I usually do my lift, really goddamn fast, like no rest between sets, running between lifts, and then I go straight into my cardio. I usually do between 10-30 minutes of HIIT running and between 10-30 minutes of HIIT stationary bike immediately after. I've been getting pretty good results with that.