PDA

View Full Version : Defensive rookie of the year is down to 2 players.

Joe145
01-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Devin McCourty(Pro-bowl)-
82 Tackles
1 Sack
17 Pass Deflections
2 Forced Fumbles
7 Interceptions
110 Interception yards

Ndamukong Suh(Pro-bowl)-
66 Tackles
10 Sacks
3 Pass Deflections
1 Forced Fumble
1 Interception
20 Interception yards

Joe145
01-02-2011, 03:22 PM
30 Views, 3 votes, 0 replies.......

Waka_Flocka
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
And the winner is??????

Reshad Jones

kethnaab
01-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Suh

it's not even close, it's a 1-man race.

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 03:31 PM
i guess it all comes down to how much you value a sack vs an interception

everything else they each possess are intangibles

iamgenus
01-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Suh

it's not even close, it's a 1-man race.

I disagree it's close but it is Suh. The guy has single handily turned that defense into a legit group.

McCourty has been a stud though no doubt.

Advil
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Suh is the big name that everyone knows from college, he'll win it no matter what.

cor030
01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Suh is the big name that everyone knows from college, he'll win it no matter what.

it doesn't matter how well known he is. take a look at his stats and the turnaround of the Lions defense and you'll understand why he will win.

kethnaab
01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
he leads the NFL in sacks for an interior lineman in his rookie season

gettign 10 sacks as an interior lineman is tough enough, gettign 10 as an interior lineman who is obviously the most dominant (and demands the most double teams) is ridiculous.

GPx
01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Both had great seasons, but I voted Suh.

ESPforMe
01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
It's Suh for sure.

BB showed his true wizard status with DM though. Most people though he'd be average at best and he comes in and plays at an elite level all year and doesn't look like a fluke either.

kethnaab
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
McCourty was a consensus "Steelers pick" if Iupati and Pouncey were off the board. He would be perfect for the Steelers and we wanted him badly. Great player, but I"ll always take a DT that makes that kind of impact. Nothing is as bad for opponents as pressure up the gut.

Joe145
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
he leads the NFL in sacks for an interior lineman in his rookie season

gettign 10 sacks as an interior lineman is tough enough, gettign 10 as an interior lineman who is obviously the most dominant (and demands the most double teams) is ridiculous.

McCourty is tied for 1st in interceptions out of everyone. I think that's a bit better but whatever. He also beats out Suh pretty much everywhere else. That's why I think it is McCourty. I also watch him and he's a force, despite no pedestrian thinking the Pats have a quality #1 CB, teams stayed away from him.

roko79
01-02-2011, 04:11 PM
McCourty had a great senior year in college, I never thought he would translate to the NFL so quickly, but he's done a great job as a rookie. I think Suh wins because he's lived up to the hype and done great for the Lions, but either one deserves the award.

Joe145
01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Bump for McCourty.

scotyg
01-02-2011, 04:24 PM
tempted to neg for making me highlight that **** so i can read it

edit: god there are a lot of good rookie safeties this year

McCourty
Earl Thomas
Eric Berry
Kendrick Lewis (the other KC safety)

and probably a few others i dont even know about

Joe145
01-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Sorry brah, u can neg if you feel like it... I'll change it back though.

BXTT
01-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Devin McCourty(Pro-bowl)-
82 Tackles
1 Sack
17 Pass Deflections
2 Forced Fumbles
7 Interceptions
110 Interception yards
Ndamukong Suh(Pro-bowl)-
66 Tackles
10 Sacks
3 Pass Deflections
1 Forced Fumble
1 Interception
20 Interception yards

Strong subliminal promotion for McCourty by using patriots color to write your post.

Horns3
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
suh

Joe145
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Strong subliminal promotion for McCourty by using patriots color to write your post.

Patriots-Blue+Red
Detroit-Blue+Gray

No subliminal, and I tried to make it separate with Blue/Red, then Blue/Gray.

Tes45
01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
DROY has been down to 1 player since about week 4.

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
DROY has been down to 1 player since about week 4.

roko79
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM

edit: god there are a lot of good rookie safeties this year

McCourty
Earl Thomas
Eric Berry
Kendrick Lewis (the other KC safety)

and probably a few others i dont even know about

McCourty is a corner brah

scotyg
01-02-2011, 04:42 PM
McCourty is a corner brah

fuuuu

21Classic
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Apparently a few of Devins INT's have been softballs

and considering positions, its harder to do what Suh has done vs Devins accomplishments as a CB

Both are amazing players, I really like Mccourty, but Suh has it locked up.

Bradford gets offensive ROTY

Suh DROTY

Brady MVP

Clay Matthews DPOTY

Joe145
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Apparently a few of Devins INT's have been softballs

and considering positions, its harder to do what Suh has done vs Devins accomplishments as a CB

Both are amazing players, I really like Mccourty, but Suh has it locked up.

Bradford gets offensive ROTY

Suh DROTY

Brady MVP

Clay Matthews DPOTY

Patriots should have a top 5 in all of those.
Hernandez
McCourty
Brady(U said)
Mayo

DiscipIine
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Suh averages 20yrds a return for interceptions, mccourty averages 15.7. So Suh is the better ballhawk of the two, glad we could get that out of the way.

all jokes aside Suh is a ****in animal. 10 sacks and nearly 70 tackles as a defensive tackle is amazing. Mccourty's had a great season, but D lineman dominance like that is much rarer

Joe145
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Suh averages 20yrds a return for interceptions, mccourty averages 15.7. So Suh is the better ballhawk of the two, glad we could get that out of the way.

all jokes aside Suh is a ****in animal. 10 sacks and nearly 70 tackles as a defensive tackle is amazing. Mccourty's had a great season, but D lineman dominance like that is much rarer

McCourty did it when his team didn't have a pass rush.

DiscipIine
01-02-2011, 05:23 PM

meanwhile the emergence of Suh opened up the lion's pass rush. but like it's been said before dude, Mccourty had a great year at corner, but Suh has an amazing season at DT.

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Hernandez
McCourty
Brady(U said)
Mayo

wait you really think hernandez should get oroy over gronk?

AppleCat
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM

If one were to play devil's advocate (maybe), couldn't you say the fact that the Pats were 30th in the league in pass yards given up per game shows that McCourty has many more opportunities for interceptions?

Shoot, I don't know - it is hard to knock either player with what they've done. I think Suh's ability to draw focus of the double team most plays made him the highest impact player on a defense (of rookies). Does this necessary equate to ROY? I don't know.

Edit: Out of curiosity, where do you see stats of how many times a defender was targeted? I can't find it on ESPN, and it is probably hard to keep track of anyway as I'm not sure if they count any targets if you're playing some type of zone defense. Just curious

iamgenus
01-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Hernandez
McCourty
Brady(U said)
Mayo

Holy **** you're a giant homer.

Mayo top 5 in DPOY?

Hernandez top 5 in OROOK?

GTFO.

MrGameAndWatch
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Mayo top 5 in DPOY?

GTFO.

Mayo led the league in tackles and Gronk should be in the running for Oroy, not hernandez

Lets not forget BB for coach of the year

Joe145
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Mayo top 5 in DPOY?

GTFO.

Either can be put into the Orook list. I knew I should've said Gronk as soon as I posted though

iamgenus
01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Mayo led the league in tackles and Gronk should be in the running for Oroy, not hernandez

Lets not forget BB for coach of the year

Leading the league in tackles isn't very impressive by itself. There are a lot more deserving candidates out there.

In fact I'd put Wilfork and McCourty above Mayo.

chuckarock
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
there is absolutely positively no way suh doesn't get it

Source7769
01-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Can't believe you think there is a chance mcourty wins then I read the rest of his homer posts

DisRespektid
01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I go suh, how many field goals has mccourty attempted

Tes45
01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

You do realize this is an argument for his season being less impressive, not more, right?

Coppatop
01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Can't believe you think there is a chance mcourty wins then I read the rest of his homer posts

To say he has no chance whatsoever is ignorant. He has had a very impressive season, and has been playing like a veteran out there.

That being said, I still think suh is going to win it.

Tes45
01-02-2011, 08:15 PM
To say he has no chance whatsoever is ignorant. He has had a very impressive season, and has been playing like a veteran out there.

That being said, I still think suh is going to win it.

No it's really not.

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
You do realize this is an argument for his season being less impressive, not more, right?

No it's really not.

love how you make these statements with zero evidence

i'd love to hear you elaborate on both

JTrain306
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Suh

Tes45
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM

love how your homer goggles are welded directly to your ****ing zygomatic bones.

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
love how your homer goggles are welded directly to your ****ing zygomatic bones.

not at all, but you couldnt prove a point if someone had a sawed off in your mothers mouth

Tes45
01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
not at all, but you couldnt prove a point if someone had a sawed off in your mothers mouth

My point is Ndamukong Suh will win the DROY, I could waste time writing out the reasons why like plenty of other people ITT have already done, or I could just keep making fun of you and bump this thread after the award is given out.

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
My point is Ndamukong Suh will win the DROY, I could waste time writing out the reasons why like plenty of other people ITT have already done, or I could just keep making fun of you and bump this thread after the award is given out.

good luck with that. i already said that suh is prob gonna win it. i'll be watching for your arbitrary statements now in every thread i enter.

and before you get cute, yes i voted for mccourty

avokshi2000
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM

From reading your previous posts it has also become obvious that you hate the pats. But why? Did we repediatly ass rape your team? Well, that's prolly more than likely the scenario.... Anyway what team do you root for phaggot?

You mad?

krocknw
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Suh obviously

stevedarsh
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
suuuuuhhhhhh

brb_ballin
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Suh.

Negatron617
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
suh got this but keep in mind its much harder to be good at CB your 1st year than it is to play Suh's position

also, the pats put no pressure on the the opposing qb which makes a CB's job ALOT harder.....and lastly Mccourty was part of the leagues youngest defense.

suh got this but give mccourty props.........he had alot of things going against him and still did a great job with no pressure on the qb and the youngest D in the league playing beside him.

the guy who said not having a passrush makes a CBs job easier probably shouldnt make anymore football comments.

rsnnh12
01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Big Pats fan here. McCourty has had a hell of a season. I admit, that I was shocked and confused when the Pats drafted him when they did, and thought there were better players on the board. BB proved me and every other critic wrong, as usual, and McCourty is a stud

That being said, Suh is the DROY. He is just unreal. To be the leader of a young defense, for a struggling franchise, and to perform the way he has, is definitely worthy of DROY. If it was based on value of where they were drafted, MAYBE you could argue McCourty over Suh. But Suh was without a doubt the most dominant defensive rookie this year

Xyos
01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I wish personality would play into awards more, Suh is a ****ing toolbag, he's already pulled like how many cheap shot moves this year? He's got this arrogant attitude about him, I'm so glad I"m a boston fan because I don't have to deal with these kinds of douchebags, in the pats vs lions game, suh was trying to start fights at the end of the game because his anus hurt so much from bradys BWC

Tes45
01-02-2011, 09:10 PM
From reading your previous posts it has also become obvious that you hate the pats. But why? Did we repediatly ass rape your team? Well, that's prolly more than likely the scenario.... Anyway what team do you root for phaggot?

You mad?

Don't hate the Pats at all, was rooting for them to win in every SB they went to. The 07 team was probably the best team I've ever watched play football, period. I probably want the Colts, Steelers, Pats, or Eagles to win this year, in that order.

Whether or not I like the Patriots has nothing to do with the fact that anyone who thinks a player other than Suh has any shot in hell at the DROY this year is a moran.

Tes45
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
suh got this but keep in mind its much harder to be good at CB your 1st year than it is to play Suh's position

also, the pats put no pressure on the the opposing qb which makes a CB's job ALOT harder.....and lastly Mccourty was part of the leagues youngest defense.

suh got this but give mccourty props.........he had alot of things going against him and still did a great job with no pressure on the qb and the youngest D in the league playing beside him.

the guy who said not having a passrush makes a CBs job easier probably shouldnt make anymore football comments.

That was me, it makes stat whoring MUCH easier, which is what Mccourty did.

When you're ranked 30th against the pass and teams throw the **** out of the ball against you, you're gonna get more tackles and interceptions.

rsnnh12
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM

When you're ranked 30th against the pass and teams throw the **** out of the ball against you, you're gonna get more tackles and interceptions.

Agree. Some of McCourty's stats are also due to teams needing to throw the ball a lot to try to get back into the game, since the Pats usually jump out to early leads. Obviously its impossible to determine just how much that affected his stats, but it clearly did affect them. Not taking anything away from McCourty, he has played amazing football and taken advantage of his opportunities, but he definitely had more chances for plays than many other CBs would have

magicmatt
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM

this is so full of fail.

no pass rush = qb able to make smarter, more accurate throws

is it easier to intercept a smarter, more accurate throw or an ill advised wobbler?

spirit3530
01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
LOL @ homers thinking McCourty had a chance to beat SUH for DROY.

Suh is a Tackle with 10 sacks...

suh is a tackle with 10 sacks.

Negatron617
01-02-2011, 09:31 PM

thats not how it works bro

why is pass rushing so sought after? cuz a good pass rush trickles down and makes the entire team better

having to play defense for 3 seconds is alot easier than having to play defense for 6 seconds

what you can argue is that due to the pats getting ahead early and often it forces teams to pass more which could lead to stat padding

but you said the lack of a passrush makes mccourty's job easier which makes no sense to me

you have to guard andre johnson 1 on 1 for 3 seconds vs you have to guard him for 6 seconds and the QB doesnt have to rush the throw....you telling me CBs are saying to themselves...nice...i can really pad my stats like this.

when a team can pressure brady you think the CBs are saying good....this is my chance to get a buncha INTs and tackles

i just dont see it.....thas my 2.....yall can have the last word

spirit3530
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
It's harder for a rookie to get sacks as a tackle than it is for a corner to get INT's or takeaways.

BTW when you are a rookie, QB's are ALWAYS going to test you in coverage.

Greg1983
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
When everybody talking up McCourty prefaces it with "Suh will win, but...", you know nobody else has any business being in the discussion.

Tes45
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
this is so full of fail.

no pass rush = qb able to make smarter, more accurate throws

is it easier to intercept a smarter, more accurate throw or an ill advised wobbler?

Is it easier to get 6 picks if the ball is thrown your way 200 times or 400 times in a season?

You're acting like Mccourty has some amazing # of interceptions. He has one more pick than Joe Haden, another rookie CB who didn't have anywhere close to the number of opportunities Mccourty did.

He also isn't even the leading rookie CB for tackles either.

Alterraun Verner had a year arguably as impressive as Mccourty and NO ONE is talking about his chances at DROY.

No one is talking about Mccourty's chances either, cept a few raging homers on this board.

Devin McCourty-
82 Tackles
1 Sack
17 Pass Deflections
2 Forced Fumbles
0 Fumble Recoveries
7 Interceptions
110 Interception yards

Alterraun Verner-
101 Tackles
0 Sacks
16 Pass Deflections
1 Forced Fumble
3 Fumble Recoveries
3 Interceptions
49 Interception yards

pedobearu_aware
01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
This thread has reminded me how much I hated living in Massachusetts.

magicmatt
01-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Is it easier to get 6 picks if the ball is thrown your way 200 times or 400 times in a season?

You're acting like Mccourty has some amazing # of interceptions. He has one more pick than Joe Haden, another rookie CB who didn't have anywhere close to the number of opportunities Mccourty did.

He also isn't even the leading rookie CB for tackles either.

Alterraun Verner had a year arguably as impressive as Mccourty and NO ONE is talking about his chances at DROY.

No one is talking about Mccourty's chances either, cept a few raging homers on this board.

Devin McCourty-
82 Tackles
1 Sack
17 Pass Deflections
2 Forced Fumbles
0 Fumble Recoveries
7 Interceptions
110 Interception yards

Alterraun Verner-
101 Tackles
0 Sacks
16 Pass Deflections
1 Forced Fumble
3 Fumble Recoveries
3 Interceptions
49 Interception yards
clap clap clap, took you long enough to produce some evidence

This thread has reminded me how much I hated living in Massachusetts.
we dont need you either

Luno7
01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
66 tackles as a defensive tackle? oh lawd

ezmac31
01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
suh is already the best dt in the nfl...cant say the same for mccourtney among CBs.

suh will end up retiring as the greatest DT of all time (yeah homer, but whatever)

Luno7
01-03-2011, 07:53 AM
suh is already the best dt in the nfl...cant say the same for mccourtney among CBs.

suh will end up retiring as the greatest DT of all time (yeah homer, but whatever)

i think these bros would like a word with you about dat der greatest of all time discussion

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/tharris.jpg

http://www.penguinpride.com/i08/ngata.jpg