PDA

View Full Version : Re Carb day

LawsonLATS
01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Is this necessary for me?

I am currently cutting and am very active with daily living and lifting.

Weight:200
Height:6'
BF:13%

Diet:
10am: 1/2 cup fruit, 6 egg whites

12: 4 ounces chicken 1/2 cup broccoli

230PM(pre workout): 4 ounces chicken 1/2 cup broccoli

530(post workout): 1 scoop ON Whey, 1 medium banana

730PM:4 ounces chicken, 1/2 cup broccoli

Bedtime:1/2 scoop ON Casein, 1/4 cup cottage cheese

Goal:8% bf

If this is my diet will i need to use a day such as saturday to do a carb re feed to prevent my body from entering a state of starvation?

I have been on this diet for 8 days now with no break except a cheat of subway last night due to unavailability to other items.

any help or advice of my diet or on the carb re feed will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

kpchris92
01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Are you trying to do a keto type diet? Or just simply want to cut down weight/bf?

LawsonLATS
01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Are you trying to do a keto type diet? Or just simply want to cut down weight/bf?

just simply cutting.

i am re instituting grains after 5 weeks of this

LawsonLATS
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
bump for help

MikeK46
01-02-2011, 09:21 PM
U won't go into starvation. Carb ups and refeeds are 2 different things. Refeeds of twice ur normal calories are good once every few weeks if you're in a deep calorie deficit. Has nothing to do with carbs.

LawsonLATS
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
U won't go into starvation. Carb ups and refeeds are 2 different things. Refeeds of twice ur normal calories are good once every few weeks if you're in a deep calorie deficit. Has nothing to do with carbs.

sorry about my poor wording

i am curious though as whether or not I will need to carb up

my carb level is low enough where i could enter ketosis, however i do not have ant ketostix to know if i am or not.

MikeK46
01-03-2011, 01:32 AM

my carb level is low enough where i could enter ketosis, however i do not have ant ketostix to know if i am or not.

no. you don't need them if your goal is weight loss. they are to replenish glycogen stores so as to maintain high intensity training in the gym.

read.

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/carb-up-and-ketogenic-diet.htm

AlwaysTryin
01-03-2011, 03:03 AM

I don't think it's low enough for ketosis. I see a fair few carbs there in the fruit and
banana plus the shakes + CC contain some

fitnessbyjay
01-03-2011, 03:06 AM
I'd do a refeed day on this diet, definitely.

LawsonLATS
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't think it's low enough for ketosis. I see a fair few carbs there in the fruit and
banana plus the shakes + CC contain some

total calories: 1542 (i forgot to include my pb in the morning and the olive oil I use to cook and over brocolli and chicken)

Fat:68g(40% of cals)

Carbs:58g(15% of cals)

Protein: 178g(45% of cals)

with high enough levels of activity the body can enter ketosis at up to 80g of carbs

AlwaysTryin
01-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Why don't you just go one way or the other? Either go to a keto split 30/5/65 or up your carbs? Then you don't have to ask about "carb days"?

LawsonLATS
01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Why don't you just go one way or the other? Either go to a keto split 30/5/65 or up your carbs? Then you don't have to ask about "carb days"?

body doesnt respond well to a full on keto

AlwaysTryin
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM

OK I am getting more and more confused.

What does your body respond well to then

LawsonLATS
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
OK I am getting more and more confused.

What does your body respond well to then

explain?

how are you confused?

AlwaysTryin
01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
explain?

how are you confused?

my carb level is low enough where i could enter ketosis

First you say your carb level is low enough to enter ketosis. You then say you don't respond well to keto.

So why not just increase your daily carbs?

LawsonLATS
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
it is low enough where i could with enough exertion in the gym. however due to a knee injury i unable to preform too much cardio. Therefore i am not burning all my glycogen stores and entering ketosis.

i am keeping carbs low since i am unable to be as active as i would like.

All i was asking was if a day to reload on carbs is necessary or not.

LawsonLATS
01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
bump for an actual answer

AlwaysTryin
01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
it is low enough where i could with enough exertion in the gym. however due to a knee injury i unable to preform too much cardio. Therefore i am not burning all my glycogen stores and entering ketosis.

i am keeping carbs low since i am unable to be as active as i would like.
All i was asking was if a day to reload on carbs is necessary or not.

But why? You realise carbs don't make you fat...

No you don't need a carb day to reload. You just said you have a knee injury thus aren't training fully.

And I mentioned the increasing carbs daily would be smarter IMO

LawsonLATS
01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
But why? You realise carbs don't make you fat...

No you don't need a carb day to reload. You just said you have a knee injury thus aren't training fully.

And I mentioned the increasing carbs daily would be smarter IMO

by not fully training i mean only working upper body and not doing any cardio

but thanks for the advice

YeomenKek
01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I'd still refeed carbs 1-2 days/week on a deficit that large regardless of carbohydrate intake during the week simply to replenish leptin.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html
Even if you're not into IF, Martin explains how regular refeeds are beneficial when dieting down to single digit body fat %. It would be best to refeed carbs regardless of whether or not you're in Ketosis as it is the best macronutrient for restoring leptin. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126336)

LawsonLATS
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
I'd still refeed carbs 1-2 days/week on a deficit that large regardless of carbohydrate intake during the week simply to replenish leptin.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html
Even if you're not into IF, Martin explains how regular refeeds are beneficial when dieting down to single digit body fat %. It would be best to refeed carbs regardless of whether or not you're in Ketosis as it is the best macronutrient for restoring leptin. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126336)

thank you

this answered my question exactly

LawsonLATS
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
follow my diet blog

http://searchforswoll.blogspot.com/