PDA

View Full Version : dwight howard is the most overated player ever IMO

AthleticBeast
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Solid shot blocking, awesome dunks, awesome rebounding.

Attrocious jump shooter, post game, and foul shooter. Nowhere near one of the top players in the league.

Guaranteed even a 6'8'' barkley would take him to school in his era. Hakeem would treat him like a rookie.

Zirob
01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
he's gotten better at post game after working with the dream this summer but still has long ways to go.

SouthernPitbull
01-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Amare said the same thing... Then Dwight put 24 and 18 on him...

AthleticBeast
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Rebounding and scoring on amare is not hard. Btw amare is better then dh.

brb_ballin
01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
he's averaged less then 12.3 rpg once in his career... (10 as a rookie)
reigning 2 time defensive player of the year
averaged 17.6+ ppg the last 5 years
career 57.4% FG shooter

Shaq is one of the best of all time.. he had no jumper or FT...

quit hating hater

Mr_Peepers
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Attrocious jump shooter, post game, and foul shooter. Nowhere near one of the top players in the league.

Guaranteed even a 6'8'' barkley would take him to school in his era. Hakeem would treat him like a rookie.

Barkley is ~ 6'5". But yes, he is much better than Dwight

KoolKidRyan
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
career 57.4% FG shooter

quit hating hater

stop hating on haters, hater.

but seriously he took an average team to the finals in 09 and is the best defensive big in the league peroid.
oh and OP Barkley was 6'5 , just tall enough to play center for the warriors.

SaniK
01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Amazing defender and rebounder. Lacks offensive skills though. He scores 17ppg because of his sheer size/athleticism. If he actually had a short jumper and some better post moves he would be a top 3 player.

AthleticBeast
01-01-2011, 03:48 PM
career 57.4% FG shooter

quit hating hater
Would you rather have dwight or:
Nowitzki
Bosh
Duncan
Amare
Gasol

Also dwight had a good team around him and he did nothing in the playoffs.

NoS_oUtLaSt
01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Rebounding and scoring on amare is not hard. Btw amare is better then dh.

Lol reds gonna red

KAYBEE24
01-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Howard's putting up 20/10 in a pussified league, he'd dominate with his sheer strength back in the day when Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Barkley and Ewing dominated. Put all of them in today's game (Shaq already is) and Hakeem would be the only 1 better than Howard

209vaughn
01-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Howard out athletes everyone in the paint. Those shoulders keep everyone at distance too.

MattMTheOnly
01-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Asking Amare to defend and rebound?

notsureifsrs

brb_ballin
01-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Nowitzki
Bosh
Duncan
Amare
Gasol

Dwight please.

Dirk plays a deeper position and is soft defensively.. he's an oversized SF
Bosh is average defensively and career average +2.4 ppg
Duncan is 34 and declining.. i'll take the edge in defense, youth and 8 more ppg
Amare.. disregard defense acquire NY hero status.. Defence> Offense
Gasol the only one that i would consider over Howard because overall game and ability to play the 4 and 5

hate on Howards offense all you want.. but he's the best defensive big in the game and i'll take the 17th leading scorer in the NBA this year as a bad scorer with his defense all day.. I don't care how he gets them.. he's gettin them.

StreetSharks
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Howard's putting up 20/10 in a pussified league, he'd dominate with his sheer strength back in the day when Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Barkley and Ewing dominated. Put all of them in today's game (Shaq already is) and Hakeem would be the only 1 better than Howard

gtfo lol

MattMTheOnly
01-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Dwight please.

Dirk plays a deeper position and is soft defensively.. he's an oversized SF
Bosh is average defensively and career average +2.4 ppg
Duncan is 34 and declining.. i'll take the edge in defense, youth and 8 more ppg
Amare.. disregard defense acquire NY hero status.. Defence> Offense
Gasol the only one that i would consider over Howard because overall game and ability to play the 4 and 5

hate on Howards offense all you want.. but he's the best defensive big in the game and i'll take the 17th leading scorer in the NBA this year as a bad scorer with his defense all day.. I don't care how he gets them.. he's gettin them.

21.1 points on 13 shots a game. Pretty impressive. The 3rd leading scorer in the league needs 7 more shots to score only 3 more points.

brb_ballin
01-01-2011, 05:03 PM
21.1 points on 13 shots a game. Pretty impressive. The 3rd leading scorer in the league needs 7 more shots to score only 3 more points.

strong math

ellis: 25.4
Howard: 21.1

difference =/= 3

but yes its impressive.

Mr_Peepers
01-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Please go. All of those listed are better than Dwight.

AthleticBeast
01-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Wow at the homers. Stats aside, have you guys ever watched dwight actually play? There's no way you can consider him as valuable as most of the big tandems in the nba. Also lol at the guy who said dwight would dominate the era of robbinson, hakeem, etc. You on drugs? Dwight is scoring 17 points per game in a league that DOES NOT play defense.

I repeat, most nba teams DO NOT play defense.

Here's the cue for the noob nba fans to bring up the celts and jazz as teams that play d

AthleticBeast
01-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Brah, they're dunks. You can count on guys like nowitz, dunc, bosh to hit big shots late in game by postingup and playmaking. You can't count on howard.

Trackbrah
01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
If Dwight is the most overrated then name another center in the game right now that is better than Dwight.

Hint: there is none

NotYetThere
01-01-2011, 05:35 PM
you also forget the stuff howard does that doesnt show up in the numbers.

he forces teams to take low percentage jumpers instead of attacking the rim. He also changes the landscape for his team offensively. He requires to be double teamed to prevent a high percentage shot from him, that opens up opportunities for his team mates. And every time he sets a screen he literally pushes defeders way back and creates shots for his team

lsiberian
01-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Someone missed the Eastern Conference Finals in 2009. In the test of which star delivers in the clutch it was Howard leading his team not James.

Amare is no joke either. If you think he is then you must not watch playoff basketball. He took out the Spurs and made the Suns-Lakers a series. He is an outstanding defender in the playoffs and can handle the pick an roll much better than Shaq could.

Neither holds a candle to Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson, but they are both very young guys with their prime still ahead of them. They didn't have college to develop them.

I don't see how either is overrated considering James, Kobe, and Wade are considered by most ahead of them.

Either could become a legend. I am not sure they will, but hey that is why they play the games.

JBDW
01-01-2011, 05:52 PM
you also forget the stuff howard does that doesnt show up in the numbers.

he forces teams to take low percentage jumpers instead of attacking the rim. He also changes the landscape for his team offensively. He requires to be double teamed to prevent a high percentage shot from him, that opens up opportunities for his team mates. And every time he sets a screen he literally pushes defeders way back and creates shots for his team

This. Howard is a one-man force in the paint, on both ends of the floor. The one knock you can have against him is that his game will not age well, seeing as how much of it relies on athleticism.

MattMTheOnly
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
strong math

ellis: 25.4
Howard: 21.1

difference =/= 3

but yes its impressive.

Strong typo.

Brah, they're dunks. You can count on guys like nowitz, dunc, bosh to hit big shots late in game by postingup and playmaking. You can't count on howard.

I never said you could count on Howard. But still, he is able to put up 21 points a night on only 13 shot attempts. So he's the best defensive player in the league, and the most efficient scorer out of all of the top 25(even more really) scorers. He can also polish his inside game even more than he's done over the summer and become even more dominating, where Dirk is hit and miss, Duncan's age is making him inconsistent, and Bosh is unable to dominate on either side.

Blasphemy
01-01-2011, 10:54 PM

he's a low 6'5.

Hoop_Dreams
01-01-2011, 11:16 PM
ITT: people don't understand how important defense is to winning games.

No one in the league defends the paint like D12 does.

DrStupid
01-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Nowitzki
Bosh
Duncan
Amare
Gasol

lol, Bosh. I'd take Dwight over that phaggot any day of the week.