PDA

View Full Version : Where do Brady and Manning fit in the GOAT rankings as of now?

sellihca
01-01-2011, 11:39 AM
basically it comes down to this. Peyton manning is a great great QB no doubt, but Brady's combinations of rings and stats surpasses manning's greatness as of right now, and puts him amongst the same company as Montana and Elway.

If I had to rank, id go something like this:

1a.Montana
1b. Brady

2. Elway

3. Manning*

4 (...) others (Marino, favre, etc)

9001. Jimmy Clausen
900001. Jamarcus Russell
9000000001. Ryan Leaf

*note: Manning's career is not over yet. People forget that Elway won his rings in the very late stages of his career. if manning plays another 6/7 years and wins another ring or two, it's a whole new ball game and i'd have to move him up next to montana and brady, potentially surpassing both due to the ridiculous stats and records he will have compiled by then.

Erik2806
01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
i hate manning as much as anyone...but that doesnt stop me from saying id put him above overrated john elway

lostinthesouthh
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
farve isnt goat....

GeorgeCarlinJr
01-01-2011, 12:18 PM
i hate manning as much as anyone...but that doesnt stop me from saying id put him above overrated john elway

olawd inb4 stang sh!tstorm

iamgenus
01-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Mine...

1. Montana - Brady isn't on this level yet but he has a good chance to catch up and even pass Joe if he keeps this up. Joe's unreal stats in an era of football where passing was a lot tougher and his godly numbers on the biggest stage put him on top.

2. Tom Brady - the guy keeps improving as a QB and is proving the haters wrong who said his success was only due to his defense and system.

3. John Elway - very good career and good way to cap it off.

4. Steve Young - call me a homer but he was terrific for the 49ers. When he had a good running game behind him the guy was unreal. Best performance in his one trip to the SB.

5. Peyton Manning - He could easily climb this, I actually have Elway, Young and Manning very close to each other. Manning's stumbles in the playoffs are numerous but his talent at QB may be better than any of the guys on this list.

6. Brett Favrah - I hate the guy but that's what made him so good. He killed the 49ers for years. The reason he's low on the list is because of his interceptions but the guy can make almost any receiver set look good.

7. Dan Marino - I know I'll get a ton of flack for having him here but no rings hurts. Perfect drop back passer but just couldn't get it done. Not all his fault but it's just the way it is.

I'll stop right there. I won't mention guys like Unitas, Bart Starr, etc because I never really watched them play and I don't think it's fair to throw their names out just because people talk about them as being greats. Highlights only show you so much.

iamgenus
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM

It's hard to put him above guys who have already finished up their careers and accomplished more than him.

Erik2806
01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
It's hard to put him above guys who have already finished up their careers and accomplished more than him.

eh...john elways postseason career was shaky as fuk.

he had horrendous games until terrell davis came along and got him rings. look at his super bowl resume...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00/gamelog/post/

ratings of 19.4, 36.8 and 51.9 (in a win)? awful...

regular season wise, manning is miles ahead of elway

iamgenus
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
eh...john elways postseason career was shaky as fuk.

he had horrendous games until terrell davis came along and got him rings. look at his super bowl resume...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00/gamelog/post/

ratings of 19.4, 36.8 and 51.9 (in a win)? awful...

regular season wise, manning is miles ahead of elway

He did a lot with a little. Also all the guys from those years had lesser numbers than the guys from today. Simply easier to pass the ball now with these rules.

This is also what makes it tougher to judge Brady and Manning now because their careers are still going. If Manning suddenly wins 3-4 Superbowls to close out his career he can leap frog everyone easily.

If you did this ranking in 1995 I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have Elway in their top 5.

zdub32
01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Mine...

2. Tom Brady - the guy keeps improving as a QB and is proving the haters wrong who said his success was only due to his defense and system.

Brady is for sure top 5 cause of his credentials, but how has he proved his haters wrong that have said this? Ignoring the part about defense, how has he proven he can be successful in a new system? He's played in the same system his entire career.

TAWS6
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Bradys done bro

zdub32
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Bradys done bro

Never understood this one. Is this a famous Stang quote?

CtrlAltElite
01-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Brady is for sure top 5 cause of his credentials, but how has he proved his haters wrong that have said this? Ignoring the part about defense, how has he proven he can be successful in a new system? He's played in the same system his entire career.

What system is that?

The one where he started with, with NO name receivers?

Or the one with Moss where he could throw the ball down field every play?

Or the one with the two TE sets?

Or the one where he throws the ball underneath and picks defenses apart?

Which system was the one he played his entire career?

jdo1
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM

guess manning isnt that good because he played in the same system his entire career

GetBigyo
01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
If anyone saw that Year of the QB on ESPN yesterday, they asked Jerry Rice who is top 5 QBs of all time are... he said:

1)Montana
2)Young
3)Brady
4)Manning
5)Marino

iamgenus
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Matt Cassel.

LorTy
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
If anyone saw that Year of the QB on ESPN yesterday, they asked Jerry Rice who is top 5 QBs of all time are... he said:

1)Montana
2)Young
3)Brady
4)Manning
5)Marino

young at 2? lol at least Jerry isn't biased

Erik2806
01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

1)Montana
2)Young
3)Brady
4)Manning
5)Marino

whoa...jerry rice, a hall of famer for the 49ers picked BOTH 49ers qbs whom he played with as 1-2 ever? mind=blown...........

TheDude1987
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
After Manning's huge mistake in the SB last year, and Brady having a monster season while Manning has a somewhat down one, it's pretty clear in my mind that as of right now it's:

Montana
Brady
Manning

Still time for Manning and Brady to flip (or for Brady to pull farther ahead). They really are just a good/bad season or performance apart in my mind.

iamgenus
01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
young at 2? lol at least Jerry isn't biased

whoa...jerry rice, a hall of famer for the 49ers picked BOTH 49ers qbs whom he played with as 1-2 ever? mind=blown...........

So is he biased on Joe Montana too?

Steve Young was a great player but had the gift/curse to spend several season behind Joe Montana. Young was accurate as hell. Could run the ball and was a great leader.

Maybe Jerry is showing some bias there but Young belongs on the list of all time greats.

zdub32
01-02-2011, 12:33 AM
guess manning isnt that good because he played in the same system his entire career

Not what I said at all. I was curious as to what Brady has done to prove the haters that he can be such an elite QB in a different system.

Matt Cassel.

Matt Cassel doesn't disprove Brady only being good because of his system. If anything, he strengthens the case.

brb_ballin
01-02-2011, 12:39 AM
lol @ people basing their decision from this season..

not saying Brady shouldn't be ahead of Manning but come on.. so many of these clowns dont know wtf they're talking about.. brb Brady is having a good year Manning isn't.. Brady is Goat... brb Manning dominates next year and OMFG MANNING IS GOAT!!!

it's what makes the misc sports section such shiit

lovebbing
01-02-2011, 03:01 AM
lol @ people basing their decision from this season..

not saying Brady shouldn't be ahead of Manning but come on.. so many of these clowns dont know wtf they're talking about.. brb Brady is having a good year Manning isn't.. Brady is Goat... brb Manning dominates next year and OMFG MANNING IS GOAT!!!

it's what makes the misc sports section such shiit

they were already neck and neck, but peyton suprised everyone in the superbowl, and brady suprised everyone this season so far, and they are both are aging so each year now is crucial

Im just guessing but im assuming that makes a difference lol