PDA

View Full Version : Pryor probably cost himself millions by going to OSU

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 09:01 AM
This is an opinion piece but I happen to agree with it.

"By his own admission, Pryor likely missed out on the chance to make tangible history when he chose to go tOSU. While he has been to a bowl game every year, it was Denard, not Pryor, who broke the NCAA record books this season. Meanwhile, back at the Columbus ranch, TP (T Profit for short) has put up decent numbers in an offense that for all intents and purposes limits him and forces him to utilize his weakest abilities (pocket passing).

Minor occurrences have taken place featuring Pryor in bars or flashing jewelry/cars that have failed to allow allegations by Clarett to disappear regarding OSU recruitment/player care. What's more, maturity issues on the field and off have raised questions about his leadership abilities at a school that, for all intents and purposes, does not have a historical encyclopedia of "field generals" (with some exceptions, such as Laurinaitis, Spielman, etc.)

Slowly languishing in Tressel ball over three years, Pryor has failed to live up to perhaps unfairly tall expectations. Now that a garage sale of fail has led to him being suspended for the first games, the Buckeye passer appears set to either go into the NFL draft with an unheralded college season in which he was not named to the All Big Ten team (and perhaps sit around for a year during labor talks) or play a shortened schedule with OSU sitting potentially at 3-2 before he comes off the bench. In short: has failed to become the next/best Vince Young."

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/shunning-wings-terrelle-pryor

PerfectFormForever
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
If he hadn't gotten caught for these recent ncaa money violations, I still think he would get picked before Denard Robinson of Michigan. I don't think Denard's records mean a lot to NFL scouts, since most of those numbers were against bogus teams.

But yeah, Pryor is definitely in a bad spot. He'll be in the NFL for sure, but cost himself millions he did.

82ndSergeant
12-27-2010, 09:05 AM
still glad he did not choose to accept scholarship at Oregon. Last year, after Rose Bowl I was an official Ohio State hater, but now I'm over it because things look much better for Oregon this year, and much worse for Ohio State.

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
still glad he did not choose to accept scholarship at Oregon. Last year, after Rose Bowl I was an official Ohio State hater, but now I'm over it because things look much better for Oregon this year, and much worse for Ohio State.

The bad news is that with the 5 game penalty without the bowl game, OSU is basically not being punished whatsoever. Those games include Eastern Michigan and Ohio University and it will be virtually impossible for them not to go 5-0. The good news is that if TP leaves, his backup is so bad that watching him in the Illinois game I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be a left handed or right handed passer.

bill257
12-27-2010, 09:10 AM
He would have been ignored as a QB prospect even going to Michigan or Oregon or State Penn. Going to Ohio State has only helped his training in being a pocket passer which is necessary to be a QB at the next level.

Now, no one will know for sure until the combine and he is evaluated by the pros if that was enough. But it is certainly better training than the read option would have been.

bill257
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
The bad news is that with the 5 game penalty without the bowl game, OSU is basically not being punished whatsoever. Those games include Eastern Michigan and Ohio University and it virtually impossible for them not to go 5-0. The good news is that if TP leaves, his backup is so bad that watching him in the Illinois game I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be a left handed or right handed passer.

Ohio State's current backup isn't going to be the QB next year during the suspension. There is a freshman QB recruited that is enrolling early that is a better passer than Terelle Pryor, and another freshman QB that redshirted this year that is about equal as a passer right now. Those two will be competing for the backup job and future starting job.

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
He would have been ignored as a QB prospect even going to Michigan or Oregon or State Penn. Going to Ohio State has only helped his training in being a pocket passer which is necessary to be a QB at the next level.

Now, no one will know for sure until the combine and he is evaluated by the pros if that was enough. But it is certainly better training than the read option would have been.

I don't think OSU has done much to develop him as a pocket passer so much as it has exposed him as not NFL ready. At least at UM he could have relied on his best traits and his "upside" would be somewhat of an unknown quantity, allowing some intrepid coach to hook him up with a big rookie contract.

MJK
12-27-2010, 09:38 AM
The bad news is that with the 5 game penalty without the bowl game, OSU is basically not being punished whatsoever. Those games include Eastern Michigan and Ohio University and it will be virtually impossible for them not to go 5-0. The good news is that if TP leaves, his backup is so bad that watching him in the Illinois game I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be a left handed or right handed passer.

5-0? If they can go 5-0 in that stretch tressel should be coach of the year. Don't forget they have a trip to Miami FL and a huge huge Big 10 opener vs MSU. I expect state to be a preseason low top ten to mid 10-15 ranking.

bill257
12-27-2010, 09:45 AM
5-0? If they can go 5-0 in that stretch tressel should be coach of the year. Don't forget they have a trip to Miami FL and a huge huge Big 10 opener vs MSU. I expect state to be a preseason low top ten to mid 10-15 ranking.

Miami is mediocre and MSU will be next year as well. MSU can never put together back to back good seasons. And they are Ohio State's bitch as well. Dantonio knows he can't beat his master and just lays down for him. Ohio State will win by at least 20 even if the 5 suspended guys aren't back. Which they might be with the appeal still pending. Ohio State hasn't put together 6 10+ win seasons in a row by losing to mediocre teams and scrubs.

mcbizkit02
12-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Terrelle Pryor is overrated and will fail in the NFL.

ivegotbigballs
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
You've gotta be kidding me. Pryor has developed so much from his freshman year, he is leaps and bounds better than he used to be. I refuse to believe he would of had this much improvement at UM under RichRod. Sure he would of put up gaudy numbers, but NFL scouts are much too intelligent to be fooled by things like that (Colt Brennan). He definately made the correct long-term move by coming to OSU.

scarletngrey
12-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Michigan fan criticizing OSU.

Please beat us once every, what 7 years now? Before running your mouth.

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Miami is mediocre and MSU will be next year as well. MSU can never put together back to back good seasons. And they are Ohio State's bitch as well. Dantonio knows he can't beat his master and just lays down for him. Ohio State will win by at least 20 even if the 5 suspended guys aren't back. Which they might be with the appeal still pending. Ohio State hasn't put together 6 10+ win seasons in a row by losing to mediocre teams and scrubs.

ooh i read that the big10 opener was Illinois. Nvm that, OSU is toast.

Big_Pete1000
12-27-2010, 09:54 AM
He is a lot better from his freshman year but his failings and shortcomings come from within.

He has a ****ty work ethic. Under or overthrows many balls. The only good ball he can throw is the deep ball. He only has himself to blame. He has had plenty of time, opportunity, and the best facilities/coaching to help him develop into a great QB.

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Michigan fan criticizing OSU.

Please beat us once every, what 7 years now? Before running your mouth.

Not sure how you confused yourself into thinking I'm a UM fan. Was it the "Sparty On" or the Michigan State hat?

scarletngrey
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Not sure how you confused yourself into thinking I'm a UM fan. Was it the "Sparty On" or the Michigan State hat?

You think anyone can see wtf is on your hat without clicking on your profile

Phaggot pls go

BTW you guise havent beat us since 1999.

MJK
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM

LOL, I'm not sure where to begin.

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 09:59 AM
You think anyone can see wtf is on your hat without clicking on your profile

Phaggot pls go

BTW you guise havent beat us since 1999.

adults are talking here

scarletngrey
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
adults are talking here

Ok then,

Please explain how Pryor running a gimmicky high school offense would have earned him millions more.

Please also use past events and data to support your arguement.

For example, quarterbacks from similar systems and their draft position etc.

stevedarsh
12-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok then,

Please explain how Pryor running a gimmicky high school offense would have earned him millions more.

Please also use past events and data to support your arguement.

For example, quarterbacks from similar systems and their draft position etc.

post #7

Athlete218
12-27-2010, 10:04 AM

You're looking at the wrong schedule for one... that was THIS years game... They play Akron, @ Miami FL, Colorado, Michigan State and I forget the other team in the first 5... it's an easy one though.

Secondly, Denard is a poosy and will never make it in the NFL. He's on the sideline crying/mending his injuries every game if he gets hit by a 200#+ guy. NFL, there are MUCH harder hits.

SATCHMO321
12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
yeah but noone would talk about TP had he not gone to OSU

ivegotbigballs
12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think OSU has done much to develop him as a pocket passer so much as it has exposed him as not NFL ready. At least at UM he could have relied on his best traits and his "upside" would be somewhat of an unknown quantity, allowing some intrepid coach to hook him up with a big rookie contract.

You clearly haven't watched too much of Pryor if you are saying he hasn't improved much as a passer. His improvement sophmore year was noticable, but still pretty raw. He would never, under any circumstance, check down to a secondary receiver or take his eyes off his primary receiver to fake defenses. This season he is in a whole other league compared to his first two seasons. If he wasn't so damn stupid he could of been one hell of a player. Since he lacks the intelligence to fully understand a college offense and read a college defense, he is going to fail miserably in the NFL. Yes I'm an OSU fan, but even I can't say he is going to do anything at the next level.

bill257
12-27-2010, 10:09 AM
yeah but noone would talk about TP had he not gone to OSU

yeah they would have. He was the #1 overral recruit on scout. He would have gotten a ton of publicity no matter where he signed.

bill257
12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
LOL, I'm not sure where to begin.

Wait till October 1st, and pretend like you never disagreed with me

scarletngrey
12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
post #7

Pryors stats from his junior season are comparable to Troy Smiths stats as a junior. Pryor also had a higher completion percentage as a junior than Smith had as a senior.

Smith also played with much more talent at WR and RB.

bking10
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
does anyone know if he was actually NBA talent at Basketball? he should have gone that route if he was.

Ice-9
12-27-2010, 10:19 AM
/care
Braxton Miller will be better than Pryor anyway and very likely may get the chance to show everyone that during the first 5 games of next season.

scarletngrey
12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
/care
Braxton Miller will be better than Pryor anyway and very likely may get the chance to show everyone that during the first 5 games of next season.

Braxton Miller makes throws every week in high school that Pryor couldnt make today.

Strong, accurate arm. Great delivery.