PDA

View Full Version : What do Christians do on Pagan Festivals?

dakensta
12-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Since celebrating pagan festivals would be incredibly hypocritical, I was wondering what Christians do during...

...just about every Christian festival there is, since they all occur on, or close to, pre-existing pagan festivals. coincidentally of course.:rolleyes:

O the hypocrisy!!

Blindead
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I make jokes about this at Christmas and my fam goes ape****. My mom spent like 2 hours on wikipedia and other sites trying to prove that there's some Christian basis for Christmas. She didn't even know that it doesn't say Jesus' birthday in the Bible.

TaeBoNinja
12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. It's not a pagan festival. OP fails

Moh7
12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
who gives a **** op?

Blindead
12-21-2010, 09:12 PM
who gives a **** op?

u mad your religion is based on the pagan beliefs of backwards ass desert nomads?

DukeOfManlets
12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
i expected a few of these threads this year, and was right.

for Atheists and trolls alike, dont forget to bring up the multiple instances in the bible that ban specifically cutting down trees and decorating them with shiny things.

bradlehman
12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. It's not a pagan festival. OP fails

I hope you aren't serious.

dakensta
12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
who gives a **** op?
not me.
inb4 "then why make the thread?"
why not?
neener neener.

tk217
12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
I make jokes about this at Christmas and my fam goes ape****. My mom spent like 2 hours on wikipedia and other sites trying to prove that there's some Christian basis for Christianity. She didn't even know that it doesn't say Jesus' birthday in the Bible.

LOL

ahahahahaha
hahahhahahaa

Yeah... I did the same thing to a Christian Family that came to visit one year. They were about as freaked but the father was like - yeah so? Don't matter.

He knew -- just wasn't as crazy as his Christian warrior wife.

tk217
12-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Called Festival of Saturnalia

You fail.

Historians that have read the bible and based on the "signs" of his birth Jesus was most likely born in the Spring.

ppself
12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
You guys are just bitter becuase Constantine turned you pagan holiday into a Christian one.

I guess you are just stuck with Halloween.

dakensta
12-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Historians that have read the bible and based on the "signs" of his birth Jesus was most likely born in the Spring.
That's why we roll eggs down hills at Easter, to symbolise the descent of Christ's head down the birth canal. And Easter bunnys' ears represent Mary's fallopian tubes.
Proof that the bible knew about physiology.
Yeah, I'll shut up now....

TaeBoNinja
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Called Festival of Saturnalia

You fail.

What does this have to do with Christmas??? If people want to celebrate the festival of Saturnalia, then go ahead. BUT Xmas celebrates the birth of Christ. And YES, Christians know it's not his actual birthday, the point is to celebrate the birth, not birthday.

OP fails

TaeBoNinja
12-21-2010, 09:32 PM
i hope you aren't serious.

srs

bradlehman
12-21-2010, 09:57 PM
srs

The "birth of Christ" (which wasn't in December) was simply tacked onto a preexisting pagan holiday to make the transition to Christianity easier for the citizens of the Roman empire. The trees, yule logs, presents, feast, etc., all have absolutely nothing to do with Jesus.

Edit: Not to mention that the entire life of Jesus was itself an adaptation of the lives of other people, with little basis in reality other than perhaps the fact that he lived, angered the Pharisees with his radical philosophy, and was crucified.

Bkcmart
12-21-2010, 09:57 PM
What does this have to do with Christmas??? If people want to celebrate the festival of Saturnalia, then go ahead. BUT Xmas celebrates the birth of Christ. And YES, Christians know it's not his actual birthday, the point is to celebrate the birth, not birthday.

OP fails

So you celebrate Jesus' birth by cutting down trees, decorating them, exchanging gifts, and feeding home invaders....makes sense

ppself
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
So you celebrate Jesus' birth by cutting down trees, decorating them, exchanging gifts, and feeding home invaders....makes sense

Why not?

Messier_Object
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
We take them over and claim them as our own.

wnc817
12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Merry Winter Solstice.

Vulnic
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
i expected a few of these threads this year, and was right.

for Atheists and trolls alike, dont forget to bring up the multiple instances in the bible that ban specifically cutting down trees and decorating them with shiny things.

Ah your referring to Jeremiah 10:2-4:

Thus says the LORD:

Learn not the way of the nations,
nor be dismayed at the signs of the heavens
because the nations are dismayed at them,
3 for the customs of the peoples are vanity. A tree from the forest is cut down
and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so that it cannot move.
5Their idols are like scarecrows in a cucumber field,
and they cannot speak;
they have to be carried,
for they cannot walk.
Do not be afraid of them,
for they cannot do evil,
neither is it in them to do good.

(no atheist, no troll)

TaeBoNinja
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
The "birth of Christ" (which wasn't in December) was simply tacked onto a preexisting pagan holiday to make the transition to Christianity easier for the citizens of the Roman empire. The trees, yule logs, presents, feast, etc., all have absolutely nothing to do with Jesus.

Edit: Not to mention that the entire life of Jesus was itself an adaptation of the lives of other people, with little basis in reality other than perhaps the fact that he lived, angered the Pharisees with his radical philosophy, and was crucified.

I alreayd pointed out that Xmas isn't Jesus's birthday earlier. That doesn't change the purpose of the holiday which celebrates his birth.

And LOL, at calling his life an adaptation of others. GTFO

TaeBoNinja
12-21-2010, 10:20 PM

Giving gifts is about charity. Feeding others is also about charity. The tree is just a tradition that doesn't mean much at all.

bradlehman
12-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I alreayd pointed out that Xmas isn't Jesus's birthday earlier. That doesn't change the purpose of the holiday which celebrates his birth.

And LOL, at calling his life an adaptation of others. GTFO

Yeah, you're right, that story is completely original. My fault. :rolleyes:

TaeBoNinja
12-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, you're right, that story is completely original. My fault. :rolleyes:

You sound very misinformed. Pls read up on this stuff before you speak. Thanks

bradlehman
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
You sound very misinformed. Pls read up on this stuff before you speak. Thanks

I have. Thanks.

Edit: Why so many arrogant douchebags miscing today? I normally have pretty good interactions with people. I'm getting all the bad eggs today.

Bkcmart
12-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Giving gifts is about charity. Feeding others is also about charity. The tree is just a tradition that doesn't mean much at all.

There's the answer to the thread you made earlier. Atheists who Celebrate Christmas are just following a nice tradition (which predated Christianity) that doesn't mean much at all.